Tell Me a Story, Jack

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
For those of you who are familiar with the quote from 48 Hours, I have no intention of giving Nick Nolte's response to the request.

I thought it a humorous lead in to establishing a PbP game, for it is a story that needs to be told. A story of epic proportion with great adventure and intrigue. A story with a setting in a world full of obstacles and adversaries, yet only the framework of a plot for it needs player characters to carry the inception in a direction of their choosing.

Shakespeare said, "All the world is a stage, the men and women merely players."

Homebrew Setting:
This is a magic infusion, early technology, fantasy world. The particular technological age is deliberately set at the late Iron Age moving into the Golden Age of Discovery so that the non-combat related actions of the characters have a direct effect on political, social, and technological development.

- Races / Character Description -
All characters should be humanoid, meaning 2 arms and 2 legs. No tails, wings, feathers, or scales at inception, of a relative height from 4' to 8', with general earth tone coloration. Star Wars has its own diversity. This world is still simpler.

- Classes / Levels -
This is a beginning adventure to a beginning campaign. The term beginner is important. Classes are relevant to the players own calling and archetypal design not to the playable mechanics. Diversity is pliable to all, free of penalty. Beginning age of characters should be late adolescent to early adult for relative plausibility.

- Equipment / Money -
As per the introduction, the technological age is late iron. This is important to starting gear. Suits of armor have never even been heard of, much less seen. Metal weaponry does, of course, exist but it is general and simple. Rapiers and katanas are yet to be designed, waiting on character input and alloy component discovery. Some indigenous peoples are still using weaponry made of stone or bone.

All characters may begin with a simple melee weapon no larger than a longsword or single-blade fighting axe and/or a simple bow (long or short) with 20 arrows. If choosing knives, small swords, or hand axes, a character may begin with 2. Clothing should be homespun, wool, or hides, no armor yet. Shields or bucklers are small and will be made of wood or hide.

The base currency is a medium sized coin made of tin that has various names from the 4 cities where it is minted but the same value. All characters are considered to have acquired 20 coins at the start of play. This is more than adequate. You will see.

System:
This may come across as strange, but the system of origin for your character is irrelevant. You will not need dice or, in the modern age of technology, a random generator. I can use whatever stats you have to relate them to what is important to keep track of development through play. Everyone has a favorite archetype or character. The question is can you take it and develop it through your own ability to play it, outside the rigid parameters of a gaming system? Where would you take it if the next step were entirely up to you?

After a discussion with my new friend from here, jmucchiello, I am aware that basically every gamer has his own set of modification and many their own entire system. His way of thinking, and I quite agree, is that the system is there for the mechanics of inception; afterwards, the system needs to get out of the way or hide in the background to let the players really get involved with the game.

Players:
Anyone interested feel free to post or ask questions, here. I will post links as gaming threads are created in the PbP section based on interest. *Hopefully I'll get some takers!*

The world is called The Untamed Wilds

To Play:
Post an image and/or description here.
The Untamed Wilds Editable Character-Records

So come on gamers! Add your expertise to the story.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
I'm in the process of developing my own gaming system, so I'm looking at a lot of different systems right now, slowly learning their strengths and weaknesses, and trying to figure out simple ways to do what I'm wanting to. I'd be happy to help look at your system.

I can use a character I've had in mind for a while. he's blond, with blue, glowing eyes, wearing heavy plate armor and weilding two falchions that look like this:

url

I see him as being infused with some kind of magical power, a stern look on his face as he whirls around his enemies, a dance of death.

I've had him stuck in my head for a month now, and have no idea who he actually is. It'd be nice to actually use him for something.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
I can use a character I've had in mind for a while. he's blond, with blue, glowing eyes, wearing heavy plate armor and weilding two falchions that look like this:

I see him as being infused with some kind of magical power, a stern look on his face as he whirls around his enemies, a dance of death.

I've had him stuck in my head for a month now, and have no idea who he actually is. It'd be nice to actually use him for something.

To flesh out your construct, I have a few questions:

Would you consider the character to be tall, short, or of average height?

Stocky, athletic, or thin?

Would his skin be oily, dry, or moderate?

Would the shape of his eyes be round, oval, or narrowed?

Would his parents' lifestyle have been nomadic, agrarian, or urban?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases