Martial Art / Chi / Stances questions

Reading through the draft rules for martial arts and chi, and had a couple of questions.

1) - Martial arts careers are treated as normal careers for XP ( or for the initial 5 grades). The whole "take this simultaneously" effect only comes into play when advancing a career by time?

2) - How does one choose stances and techniques - are Stances exploits, or are they just bonus when you take a martial arts career? Similar question for techniques. It looks like anyone with Chi can choose any technique from any stance - but I could easily be misreading it.

thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Good questions! Bear in mind those martial arts and CHI rules ar draft only, so any reply I make is not a final answer. Actual play feedback on these is very welcome.

1) That's correct. Spending XP on careers takes no time, so it makes no difference if you spend enough XP to buy two career grades simultaneously. The time does matter for your initial five careers, though, as that determines your age.

2) Techniques are exploits, yes. A stance isn't really a thing in mechanics terms - it's just a category (I think it describes it as a "broad grouping") which describes that little exploit tree. As soon as you buy the first technique in a stance, you are using that stance.

Thanks.
Yeah, I know they are draft, just wanted to play with that mechanical toy. :)

On #2 - I suspected exploits - Psi has exploits for each power, but magic, you get a skill and a secret and can mix and match - and I could see that going either way. I appreciate it.

Remove ads