Three Years in the Making...

I might be able to paleo-game an old RQII of some sort (Stormbringer anyone), but I am not promising, teehee.

I noticed looking at a recent GURPS with my son who is playing it, they cleaned up some of its most abuseable imbalances.

I ran some old fashioned CoC a while back, but I didn't find it a good experience. That system just seemed clumsy and in the way. I yearned for streamlined skills and a more story-oriented vision. (Yes I know there are games that do Cthulhu and have that).

I could play OD&D. I mean, its such a loosely designed game, you can do whatever you want with it in some sense. In any case, if you want to dungeon crawl, those old games are not bad at all.

Likewise I once in a while run an old Gamma World 1st edition game for the fun of it. Still a terrible system in many respects, but its fun to play. I mean, nothing has a more amusing chargen system than that... In fact its almost more amusing to just roll up characters than it is to actually PLAY them.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I might be able to paleo-game an old RQII of some sort (Stormbringer anyone), but I am not promising, teehee.
I think I kept going back to RQII and GW because I hadn't gotten to play them /enough/ back in the day. There was so much cool stuff I'd thought of but never gotten to do in each system. AD&D I played plenty - enough that I eventually got sick of 2e - I'd go back to it now & then if I could play a specific character I really liked.

I think I kept going back to RQII and GW because I hadn't gotten to play them /enough/ back in the day. There was so much cool stuff I'd thought of but never gotten to do in each system. AD&D I played plenty - enough that I eventually got sick of 2e - I'd go back to it now & then if I could play a specific character I really liked.

yeah, I could play a 'blast from the past' with some old classic characters we used to play back in the late 80's. I don't have a desire to dwell in that system though, its not really all that flexible in terms of what you can do, unless you want to put in a lot of effort, and there are just things that DON'T WORK at all, and never will.

C4

Explorer
A) What prompted you to add types to penalties?
This addition was prompted by the issue where properly specced characters (namely wizards), can impose a bunch of stacked attack or save penalties in order to effectively shut down a foe.

B) I'm surprised that you keep the Long Rest as keyed on days thing. Is it your intention that players can actually enjoy a LR every night regardless of the day's content?
I personally like resting to be defined as specific timeframes (5 minutes, 6 hours), rather than as narrative breaks (after each challenging encounter, after each adventure). So yeah, the way I run my games, the characters can LR even if they've only had one encounter that day. In fact I've set up an overland travel mechanic meant to drain rations rather than surges, and designed PoL animals to play into this mechanic. Can't wait to play test it!

That said, I know that many people like narrative rests, so I'm including that as an official variant.

C) I gather you view this as a private project for your gaming table?
You got it. I've been gathering ideas from other gamers both IRL and here on the forums for years, and I love sharing my work. But ultimately, I'm never going to make money on Points of Light no matter what, so I write it to make me and mine happy.

I WILL read the rest and give feedback. This looks interesting!
Thanks! I'll get around to replying to your further questions, er...soon. Yeah, soon. If real life doesn't get in the way. *sigh* :)

darkbard

Legend
In fact I've set up an overland travel mechanic meant to drain rations rather than surges, and designed PoL animals to play into this mechanic. Can't wait to play test it!

How would this be meaninful as a drain on character resources (in this case, gp rather than surges) beyond the firs level or two, considering the baseline economy? Surges are a rather limited resource; gold is not. Inquiring minds....

darkbard

Legend
In fact I've set up an overland travel mechanic meant to drain rations rather than surges, and designed PoL animals to play into this mechanic. Can't wait to play test it!

How would this be meaningful as a drain on character resources (in this case, gp rather than surges) beyond the first level or two, considering the baseline economy? Surges are a rather limited resource; gold is not. Inquiring minds....

Rolenet

Explorer
I personally like resting to be defined as specific timeframes (5 minutes, 6 hours), rather than as narrative breaks (after each challenging encounter, after each adventure).

Interesting dichotomy, but I use a third option (and certainly I'm not the only one): fixed breaks, based on encounter difficulty. E.g. one ER after 3 enc, or 4, or 5 enc. The moment when the heroes can ER is determined by the difficulty of those encounters, not the days, not the narrative pacing.

Interesting dichotomy, but I use a third option (and certainly I'm not the only one): fixed breaks, based on encounter difficulty. E.g. one ER after 3 enc, or 4, or 5 enc. The moment when the heroes can ER is determined by the difficulty of those encounters, not the days, not the narrative pacing.

This is certainly an option, though admittedly it might be considered 'gamist'. Just say "OK, folks, you've now been granted an extended rest" and then go on with the game. At that point actually resting in a narrative sense becomes largely meaningless.

C4

Explorer
Rolenet said:
I like the Str-based hp, and the 4 point state-scale, among other things. Right now, I haven't checked the class really, but I don't really figure the new power structure (Greater powers etc..)
Glad you like my approach to hp! As to powers,

Lesser = At-will
Greater = Encounter
True = Daily

It’s a bit more in-universe-y, and it avoids the oddity of naming one sort of power after a narrative bit of time (encounter) and another sort of power after a defined bit of time (daily).

Rolenet said:
There seems to be some inconsistency in your use of Dauntless or Legendary.
Where at? There was a time when I was calling the third tier the dauntless tier, and it appears I missed a mention of that after I settling on legendary.

Rolenet said:
The condition tracks are a great idea. However, this leads to a multiplication of conditions which can be very hard to use in-game. E.g. "I'M enchanted... can I use a Greater Attack?". Things like the Kneeling condition or the five degrees of blindnes are another example. At the very least, have you a quick visual aid to help the players? E.g. stacking cards?
As a Dwarf Fortress aficionado, I give +1 to the Toady condition, though.
Lol, never played Dwarf Fortress, but thanks!

Yeah, I’m aware that the condition tracks may turn out to be awkward in play and I’m brainstorming some sort of visual aid, yeah. Something as simple as each player keeping a few index cards of the status effects they’re capable of dishing out, and then handing those cards to the GM as the baddies get hit would be a big help I think.

Rolenet said:
I don't quite understand the choice to change many of the official game terms. E.g. Healing Surge to Vitality Surge. I get the possible copyright issue, but considering many sections are directly lifted from D&D books, why bother? Clearly, you couldn't publish it as-is?
Some things I changed for legal reasons, despite having no plans or desire to publish, some I changed for aesthetic reasons, and others for both. :)

Rolenet said:
Flanking. Why this change?
I think it’s exceedingly weird how, assuming a Medium flankee, 1) two flankers must be exactly opposite each other, and 2) a third ally is a third wheel, flank-wise.

Rolenet said:
Teleport. You should specify whether a creature can be teleported in the air.
Combat Rules said:
If arriving in the destination space would cause the target to fall or if that space is hindering terrain, the target can make a saving throw. On a save, the teleportation is negated.
Although now that I'm thinking about it, this rule is kinda weird. I may change it so that teleportation works in all directions, and if anyone comes up with an offensive teleport power, it should either limit teleportation from damage-by-falling or take damage-by-falling into account.

Rolenet said:
Trip/Disarm. It heavily depends on whether you get Enh bonus on such attacks. If not, they quickly become useless. If yes, they can be too powerful, e.g. against a skirmisher or flyer? (Yeah, I've GMed for a trip/disarm fighter in PF. Disheartening)
There are no enhancement bonuses in PoL, so those options stay (somewhat) useful.

Rolenet said:
Charges. I don't get the Lunge thing.
Lunge is there to avoid another oddity — the 1-square 'charge-bubble.’ I thought about simply adding “You can charge one space but you don’t get the attack bonus” to charge, but…well, to be honest I don’t specifically remember why I decided to make the 1-space ‘charge’ a separate action.

Rolenet said:
Coup de grace. If there's any power in PoL that knocks unconscious, change it to Basic attacks or fear the critical!
Nope, no unconsciousness worries, unless somebody homebrews one.

Rolenet said:
Implements as [W] weapons. That's an interesting idea! In fact makes one wonder why it isn't the original rules!
Indeed! That aspect of 4e implement powers is pretty clearly a legacy quirk of earlier editions, for better or for worse.

Rolenet said:
Taking 20. That takes the fun of rolling away. I know it's a tried-and-true 3.5 thing, but I never ever missed it.
So don’t use it. ;) It may be a 3e ‘everything must be defined with rules’ holdover, but I like having a rule that says ‘It’s not necessary to roll for every little thing, and if I'm just gonna sit here and roll until I hit 20 let’s just cut to the chase.'

Rolenet said:
Endurance. Do you really mean to measure temperature to 5C?
At one point I had notions of using increments of 5C within wilderness guidelines, but now that you point it out I may change that to something less detailed.

Rolenet said:
Combat intimidate. Intersting, but the original use of this is to end the combat sooner. An enemy with -15 damage has still to be disposed of, and the combat will get quite boring....
The original is truly an oddity -- a mismatched skill vs. defense check for one of 4e's few save-or-lose (in the traditional D&D sense) effects.

My intention with PoL combat intimidation is not to simulate enemy morale -- it's to provide Intimidate with a fairly minor combat use. (Max penalty should be -10, and note that it lasts for one round only.) If a GM forgets to have intelligent foes retreat, this use of intimidate may be a convenient in-game prompt to remind the GM -- if that baddy is shaking with fear so badly that he's taking a damage penalty, why stick it out in this fight? -- but ideally morale should either be a GM fiat thing or an old-school die roll thing.

Rolenet said:
Your pre-gen don't seem to feature powers?
Whoops! I mean, look again, they were totally there from the beginning. ;)

Remove ads