Software for maps

Godofredo

First Post
Hi guys, i want to make some maps for my campaign, but my skills are not among the best in the world...so i'm looking for a good , easy to use software, to make some simple maps, can you give me some help about this?

Godo

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
If you liked the old Basic D&D-style hex maps, try Hexmapper (for PCs). Simpler than the CADD-style mappers but looks pretty slick.

J

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
The Fractal Mapper 6.0 is currenty on sale and perhaps the most powerful mapping software for its price anywhere. CADD-like results with a very simple-to-use windows-type interface. best.mapper.evar :)

You can try their demo for free but be warned, once you see what it can do you will not be satisfied with other mappers. ;)

LazarusLong42

First Post
If you know how to use Illustrator and Photoshop, I'd actually recommend those over a dedicated mapping program. Illustrator especially--layered vector graphics that ou can detail as much as you want and then blow up sections of are a *good thing*.

dave_o

Explorer
I second that. I've been doing graphic design for a while, and I just use Paint Shop Pro 7 for maps.

What's Illustrator? I've heard of it, but never gotten a chance to play. Is it a tablet-thingy?

LazarusLong42

First Post
Illustrator is the complementary software to Photoshop. Photoshop/PSP/GIMP are for editing bitmap/raster graphics: photographs, paintings, and the like where individual pixels are the important thing.

Illustrator and most CAD programs use vector graphics. Instead of the pictures being composed of pixels, it's composed of lines and curves which have certain characteristics. When you magnify raster graphics by a factor of ten, you have huge pixels; when you magnify vector graphics, you have the same lines you had before.

Vector graphics are generally used for (as mentioned before) CAD projects, corporate logos, maps--anywhere where scalability is more important than absolute size.

Pbartender

First Post
One other thing I've done quite a bit is to make a map in your favorite strategy game map editor... Age of Wonder, Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic, etc... then take a couple of screen captures. Piece the screen captures back together into one large map in Photoshop, maybe fancy it up with an artistic filter. Finally, add in some labels.

Remove ads