What are you reading [Jan 2017]?

Elodan

Adventurer
New year, new thread.

Just finished The Expanse, by James S. A. Corey. Finally picked it up after watching the show. Been a while since I've read any good space opera, and this series hit the spot. Picked up the next book.

Reading Liar's Bargain by Tim Pratt. One of the better author's of Pathfinder fiction. Enjoying it so far.

On the comics front I just finished the last two graphic novels in the Star Wars: Darth Vader series; The Shu-Torun War (Vol 3) and End of Games (Vol 4). Really liked the series overall, Shu-Torun was a little weak.

Will be starting Star Wars: Rebel Jail (Vol 3) momentarily.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
working through A Random Walk Down Wall Street, updated edition.

waiting on 100 Best Stocks to Buy for 2017 to show up in library (on hold).

You can probably guess that I'm going to be adjusting my I.R.A. account in mid-month.

Jhaelen

First Post
I finished reading 'The Scar' by China Mieville. It took me a moment to get back into the world of Bas-Lag but then I was just as hooked as I was when reading 'Perdido Street Station'.
(As usual) There's a lot going on and there's several delightful twists in the story and plenty of mysteries that are slowly revealed to the reader. In retrospect, I think, I liked it even better than the first installment.
At the very least, it gave me a better idea of the world since it describes several locations in great detail, i.e. it has a much wider scope than just the city of New Crobuzon.

Next up will be 'Pashazade' by Jon Courtenay Grimwood for a change of genre, but I've now definitely also put 'Iron Council' (the third Bas-Lag novel) on my list of books to read.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'm starting Saturn's Children by Charles Stross. It is set in the same universe as Neptune's Brood, but both stories are unrelated. NB was awesome hard sci-fi and SC got some great reviews and was nominated for the Hugo and Locus awards. Apparently, Stross wrote masterfully from the point of a view of a slave in SC.

Finally finished my re-read of the first Song of Ice and Fire novel. Crackling good stuff, though I did catch a continuity error (within a few pages, one of the Freys is referred to as both an old man and a youth).

Now I'm going from one of the slowest fantasy writers to one of the fastest, with Sanderson's Shadows of Self Mistborn novel.

RedSiegfried

First Post
Just finished Skylark of Valeron by EE Doc Smith and will be moving on to Skylark Duquesne tonight. I think I might reread the Lensman series after that.

Janx

Hero
Working on Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Bit of a slow read, haven't even met Strange yet...

I spent most of the holiday working on my own novel. up to about 70,000 words.

Oof, that's an imposing book, both in size and scope, but it's definitely worth reading.

Working on Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Bit of a slow read, haven't even met Strange yet...

I spent most of the holiday working on my own novel. up to about 70,000 words.

innerdude

Legend
Currently reading guides on how to communicate effectively (basically, how to sound less like a jerk). My recent posts have shown I need it.

Yeah, ya do, ya big JERK!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

To the subject at hand ---

Currently reading:

Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series for the first time since I was a teenager.

Just recently finished:

Tigana and Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay. If any of you not availed yourselves of reading those two novels, you are missing out on some of the best fantasy literature of our time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases