WotBS Oops, they did it again...

Lylandra

Adventurer
A new year has begun and my players left me in serious DM troubles over our NYE WotBS session. Some of you might be familiar with my quirky group of two who has a habit of going... rather unconventional ways. Right now, we're halfway through Adventure six and our heroes have just talked to the Pietr Gorquith Ooze and got the resurrection scroll from the healing supplies (which they promised to use on the fallen lord).
However, one of my players suggested that they might want to keep the scroll and use it on Syana's skeleton which they know has to be in the imperial quarters upstairs. Which is... kind of what deception wants to do.

The problem is that Syana was more of a major power player in my home campaign than the original campaign suggested and having her alive would cause way more trouble for me than, say, having an alive Coaltongue. I'm already planning on using the fight against the resurrected Trillith/Syana hybrid to push one of my character's arcs a bit further and to have a bittersweet final goodbye with his people's guardian once she's defeated. So while I don't see any reason rules-wise to deny a resurrection of Syana via spell, I'd definitely want to prevent it. Now I know that I can use Deception as a trump card who just happens to act a second faster than the PCs, but that might have them skip finding Darius and resolving the riddle of Coaltongue's death (which would be a setback and make much of the adventure pointless).

So, do you have any suggestions to why resurrecting Syana via resurrection would fail while Deceptions Trillith Resurrection would still be working?

I've thought about linking it to soul magic and that Syana had offered too much of her soul to her high mage apprentices/ the creation of Trilla to be resurrected normally and could only be resurrected shortly by a Trillith insertion which would replace the missing parts. Does that sound reasonable enough?

Well, Deception's not 'resurrecting' her, just implanting a trillith into her bones to control them. Honestly, it makes more sense for Coaltongue to have trapped her soul in a gem, like the ones he used to power the Torch, to make sure no one could resurrect her. Just say that Deception is only animating the body with the aid of the trillith Aggression, not actually bringing the real Syana back to life.

Mrpereira

Explorer
And if you really want to rub it in, then have either a gem with Syana's soul in the treasury, or even more twisted, the remains of the soul gem with Syana's soul on display in the treasury, right next to the armor.

thekwp

First Post
So, do you have any suggestions to why resurrecting Syana via resurrection would fail while Deceptions Trillith Resurrection would still be working?

In addition to all of the above, when Syana's soul knows who is offering to restore her to life, she could just decline to return. Deception, on the other hand, always is able to tell people what they want to hear, to get them to do what Deception wants. That's not an option your players will have when trying to use Resurrection. Without Deception's influence, Syana might choose to remain in the afterlife. Your players are powerful enough now that they could ask the soul why, though, so having a good answer ready for that question seems like a good idea. Ideally, it is an answer that should be emotionally satisfying to them, and one that furthers the plot with the Trillith, the sleeping Trilla, and the Torch.

Alternatively, perhaps the very existence of the Torch, even broken, keeps her from properly resurrected.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Thanks for the quick responses!

Having a part of her soul "stolen" and destroyed (via Trilla and the torch/Rhuarc) would work then, I guess. I'd rather not have the complete soul in a gem in front of the characters or they would (and I know they would!) try to find a way to insert it back into Syana. I plan to prevent further resurrection attempts by having her skeleton shatter into fine, golden dust after they beat her and to have the last sliver of the original Syana use her very last soul magic in combination with Cuin's dormant sliver to create a dragon egg which might hatch into a wyrmling companion one day. So.. he'll be satisfied in the end :)

Remove ads