Jasper's DMs Season 3

jasper

Rotten DM
Bane of the Tradeways game write up.
WHAAAA! I made special maps! WHAAA! I made special counters. WHAA! the dice loved the players Friday night. I had a weak group (which I kept forgetting to adjust for). Life Cleric 4 hill dwarf. Druid 1 human. Warlock 2 Tiefling. The warlock player was his second time playing. The first wtf was the group decide to capture the Captain of the Ambush in Part 1. No problem. The dice went their way.
Part 2,WHAAA! I made special maps. Ok you see my mistake right off the bat but I did not till the next morning. The party decide to disguise themselves as Red Plumes and used the extra bandits as slaves. (this was from the new guy). The convoy got to the second road map before the dice let them convince the leader to halt. Then the group attacked the convoy.
Part 3. Ok. I do let the dice fall as they will. But the warlock was able to convince the ex slaves and bandits to attack the Duergar and his 2 worgs. Now even when 2 the two non humans yelled out loud they were selling the slaves, the dice ruled in the party favor. Since the party did not tell the ex slaves or bandits any of their plans, I decide to have oppose persuasion or the slaves would run away or attack the party. Grr 19 + in favor of party. Combat started and monsters and 1 slave died.
The game was fast for my Friday games. I started at 6:33 and was home in bed at 10:08. So my run time for a 2 hour game has gotten better. Monsters dead 11. Total kill count 42 monsters 1 PC. The group learn that having a life cleric in the party saves lives.
Magic prop was a Frisbee for the shield.
Tomorrow is No Foolish matter.

jasper

Rotten DM
No foolish Matter write up.
Ok I had a larger than normal group and some of them wanted to be a con south of us. Two of the players had already ran thru the module and maybe one or two others. One new to 5E player who was running a Monk 3, Life Cleric 1.
This was a 2/3 rds role playing module with combat thrown in to keep it interesting. I had a large strong party. 6 players ever pc was fourth level with the exception of one second level pc. Boy did they go off script quickly.
Nobody wanted to talk with npcs about the sickness. I could did a better job of trying to get them into the mystery but they were not biting. I think if I run this again I will do a hand out about the spooky carnival and add more death and destruction in the introduction.
One player who had ran through the module had his pc park himself outside the gate of the carnival. And various other players wander around the fairway. I did create a rat race, and rat eating contest for the amusement of one player. His rat came in third in all five races. I was use different colored dice and his die, his gold dice was always third highest. With still no questioning of the npcs I decide to give the group a taste of the maze. I think I said a wisdom saving throw of 10 would solve the maze. And this where they picked up the new to 5E player (he was a late drop in). See the players were getting bore I kicked off the first combat with a strong mix. A couple of people had some rules problems. The second level druid player had the most but he always does have issues when doing spell casters. And we have been forcing him to read and learn the system. They did a short rest before the final combat.
Before the final combat I explain to the group about the madness in season 3 just to make it clear that keeping up with the pc madness level was important. No one entered the maze and I think one of druid used thunder clap to break some of the mirrors. I just moved the combat to outside but kept the lair abilities. During the combat we had a backwards rapping singing bear, a battle master smacking his own party, and a cleric crying on his spell focus. Did have some fu between players. The battle master was doing subdual, but wizard waited the BM dropped and hit two KO npcs with magic missile. I ruled this started death saves. Boy was the wizard was surprise when the NPC jumped up and try to kill him. The thug rolled 20 on his death save.
So 3 people with madness 1. And a total of 56 monsters killed during the season.
The new player hammed it up when he got the pipes of the sewers. A recorder in a roll of toilet paper.
I think this going always be an iffy module. Boring for those who don’t want to role-play.

jasper

Rotten DM
here is the Halfling with his pipes of the sewers

Attachments

• DSCN3058.JPG
    DSCN3058.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 691

jasper

Rotten DM
Hillsfar reclaimed ddex3-12 game write up.
I BELIEVE IN MIRCALES. I BELIEVE IN MIRCALES YES I DO.
After the normal check in and BS, we got start at 6:33 and I was packing my stuff up at 8:45. Yes Virginia modules can be ran in under 2 hours. I had 4 of the same players from last week, and all but one were running the same pcs. One guy swapped out his druid for a fighter. During the introduction, and a lot of part 1 I stress repeat to get the schedule and find the bad guys. Think of it as a mission impossible type module. Average party strength.
Part 1 Again I stress please no fighting, get the info and get out when they first met the thieves guild contact. The sewer rat fight was shorten greatly when Meifling the Halfling, who took the pipers of the sewers from last week, started playing them. So most of that combat was 2 swarm of rats vs. 2 swarm of rats. As they were bathing I again stress the mission impossible theme. I swapped out the scrolls for magic chocolate for the disguise self.
Part 2. We getting hired and ahead of ourselves. The dice were with the pcs. They knew the schedule was on the desk. A little confusion on tactics but I went with the general idea of one create a distraction and the other steal. So what happen is the wizard took a quick potty break went invisible and stole the paperwork. I forget what dc I asked for to do the spell casting etc. unnoticed but the group were rolling 17+ at the time. So that took the office scene (Part 3 # 4) out of play.
Part 3. The ball. And I could not tick them off enough to break cover even when there was only 1 human in the group. I gave them a choice when came to costume part, keep or drop the disguise self. And I was very rude and to the point. I did not give them table time to discuss as a group but pointed to the person and demanded a keep or drop disguise self. One did! Hahahahha Now They in for it….. NO. Even the dice help the hill dwarf pull off his disguise non disguise bluff. Grrr.
The announcement and murder had a hiccup. I got confused with which npcs were in play. (Again jasper read tfm). The Dragonborn pointed out the assassin, the wizard cast see invisible and spotting the couple fleeing, the hill dwarf distracted the guards. Final combat. Ok this where confusion due me messing up the npcs, and confusion among the players. The party attack both demons. So I went with the flow. Devon was there as a bullet sponge. Thessaly was the villain. But a silence spell slowed the time the guards arrive. The guards arrive after Thess had charmed the hill dwarf and drained him (dropping him). She yelled that the pcs were the enemy. Now this where I had a choice, keep Thess human or show her demon side. Since 1 pc was down, two other wounded, I had her flee back into the castle and call for more guards. (grr the dice loved the pcs backup would not arrive for 6 rounds). Thess fled and the stupid smart actions of the dragon born help. He let loose his dragon breath. Dropping 2 guards and making him the target of rest. This allow the wizard to chase Thess. Whimper Whimper Whine. They Dice loved them. Thess teleported away from the wizard. The Halfling heal the hill dwarf and then the Halfling ran away. The Dragonborn and hill dwarf were able to escape through the gardens before backup arrived.
So they got max xp but only 25 gp each. The Halfling took the magic item since everyone else passed on it.

The bad and it on me. I kept swapping out the bad guys the girl became the Devon and swapping out some of the genders during the play. Players made a comment on this and I said it was my fault.

For the series Total 1 dead pc. 62 dead monsters.

jasper

Rotten DM
since I have death on the wall in the queue for Friday, I be posting this to the FB game page when I get home.
Wanted ALIVE 5 gp bounty.
Thorin Hill Dwarf cleric has known shape changing abilities.
Attempted Murder of First Lord Consort’s Thessaly Malaeda
Attempted Murder of Advisor Devon Malaeda
Conspiracy to murder the first lord
4 counts of murder in first degree of the First Lord Red Plume’s Guards
7 counts of using a disguise in commission of a crime.
1 count of failure to identify as non-human
Multiple counts of lying to officials while in commission of a crime.
The poster has an okay drawing of Thorin.
Wanted ALIVE 5 gp bounty.
Rosarsh Dragonborn has known shape changing abilities. Possible Fighter Wizard
Attempted Murder of First Lord Consort’s Thessaly Malaeda
Attempted Murder of Advisor Devon Malaeda
Conspiracy to murder the first lord
4 counts of murder in first degree of the First Lord Red Plume’s Guards
2 counts of using a disguise in commission of a crime.
1 count of failure to identify as non-human
1 count of lying to officials while in commission of a crime.
2 counts of stealing silverware
Wanted for questioning 2 SP.
Cenn human low level wizard. Wanted for questioning in the attempt murder of First Lord Consort’s Thessaly Malaeda and her brother.
Wanted for questioning 1 SP.
Meifling human with some spell casting abilities. Is a witness in the attempt murders of First Lord Consort’s Thessaly Malaeda, Advisor Devon Malaeda, and the murders of four guards.

jasper

Rotten DM
Death on the Wall write up.
Well that was a little work for no payoff. Three of the same players from last week showed but did not play the same pcs. Some pcs did level last week, others leveled after my game. So the wanted poster was a big null.
Ok the change I did put in before hand was adding in Thessaly in the First Lord tent. 4 players running Leonardis tempest cleric 3, Pysm Case Warlock 4 (the dice hates this player in the beginning of my games), Charlie Battlemaster 4, Lig Ben Fig Cleric 1 halfling. So weak party.
Part 1 the group does not fight the Red Plumes and make some good deception rolls. They get the poison from the bag, and we have to look up the number of ammo it covers (3 ammo or 1 weapon for basic).
Part 2 Ok some amazing rolls and some good and bad roleplaying. The group by themselves explore the camp but all end up in the Tempus shrine. The guy running Leonardis said some stupid stuff and got dismiss to go on patrol since he was wear the guard outfit. Bad rolls cause Lorhanna not going to support the overthrow but she would slow roll response to cries from help from the first lord. Pysm Case blew his Zhentarim mission. As the party was taking a short rest on the hill poor Roi who was totally out of it did not notice the warlock was Tiefling for a couple of seconds. What would be the first combat of the night end with a crit with a firebolt from Psym. We did have a small discussion on stealth/hide and surprise here as the first level cleric is a former 3E player.
Part 3 We assault the castle no tent, no the stables, no let come up with a plan. Ok here is where some time dragged. The group could not decide on a plan. I even let them put the door of the first lord tent on the backside away from the wall. Final plan was Pysm loosen the horse from the stables to draw off some of the guards and the rest attack the first lord tent. This mostly worked. Only one guard spied the warlock fleeing from the scene and the East side of the campground guards went after the horses.
The tent attack kind of dragged in real time. They finally killed the two guards. Garous and Torgrave were nearly killed but the battlemaster always does subdual damage. And Davon setting out to show his demon side locked down Garos (stunned for 7 rounds). The Tempest cleric was going to kill Garos but decided to use the manacles. The stunning also took out the first level cleric for the rest of the combat. Devon escape with 1 hit point left.
I called the fight with the first lord after some damage to Thess and Torin. The battlemaster struck Thessaly totally destroying her in 1 blow. Actually Thessaly went ethereal and escape. Since the fight had sent about 40 minutes for about 8 rounds I just ended it with Torin surrendering because he did not want to be destroyed in 1 shot like his girlfriend.
I am adding an extra my campaign only story award “Demons Fear Me” which the pcs of last 2 groups of PCs get. All succubus/ incubus know the pcs’ for the rest of Rage of Demons adventures which I dm.
And the same player gets the magic item due the other pcs having magic or passing on it.

For the series Total 1 dead pc. 65 dead monsters. They only killed 3 guards during the adventure.

jasper

Rotten DM
Yea, did my first real pull of minis last night. I been ordering the bricks to get my mini collection restart(plus if spend the money the wife can't). So I do have some mini's that match the monsters.

jasper

Rotten DM
Writhing in the dark 3-13
TPK TPK Well mostly if you include the plane shift.
I should known things were going to go south. I packed the wrong module but luckily a friend had a copy in his car. I and two of players were have bad work weeks.
And we finished part 1 in 7 minutes. And a very weak party. Talmar Moonbeam Wizard 5, and Thorin Cleric 6, and M Osisr Rogue 4 Warlock 3. I started off by having the wizard and warlock make saves during the nights before they hit the dungeon door as Rogue Thought was using his Dream spell.
Room 2 this brain is too hard was the next encounter. Now Thorin always roll crappy the first part of the night. Either he misses or rolls 2 damage out of 16 etc. I reduce the encounter to 2 warriors, 1 knight. Move the warrior up to block the door. The second tries to misty step behind. Boom 1 on the wild magic and out comes the butterflies. The knight closes. And party is afraid throwing out heavy damaging spells.
The knight casts plane shift on the warlock. Hit and a fumble and off to the happy hunting grounds. Now it is 3 to 2 against. Wizard goes down but is brought back by the cleric. The wizard then fireballs his own position. Taking out one warrior, dropping the other warrior to 10 points, and the knight below 30. Also dropping the whole party. And except for extra die rolling that was that.

Pictures later.

Oh I was sick about three weeks ago, and the table did not make two weeks ago. And I promise to dm this before I went on to the Yawning portal.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases