Jasper's DMs Season 3

jasper

Rotten DM
Harried in Hillsfar Review
I started with a table of 3 and ended with a table of 4. 3 clerics and 1 rogue, with one cleric being fourth. The two first level clerics sold most of their stuff and bought higher AC armor which helped. Except for healing potions most the other potions, scrolls and silver weapons were reluctantly taken. I told the players to save time I was running the missions in order.
Mission 1 a boy gets his goat. Only had a weak party at the start so they only fought 1 goat. This was also the start of Pyra the light cleric bad rolls. Either he rolled badly, or I saved against his spells most of the night. The other cleric did roll a Nat 20 on Intelligence roll for the unholy check. Combat went the pc way. Finding the boy part was over quickly just to average rolls on my part.
Mission 2. Knowing how murder hobo two of the players were and not liking the jail sentence part of the mission I had the Red Plumes say their lines and ride off before the pcs could start something. Entering the HUGE CELLAR as a player called it was interesting. The pcs were slow on the uptake and combat started. Nat 20 and YES another name for my skull. This was first time for max damage. The player challenge me to roll the second set of damage dice to prevent this and still the total came out to 20. Looking over adjusting the encounter and my combat results, the Bounty Hunter combat seems to hit or miss. And the red plume part of mission is a game over if the party jumps the plumes.
Both of the first missions seem off to me and the group, I think was one third the missions and two thirds us. The game store I game with have weekly magic tourney at the same time so some nights we have noise problems and I think some of players were just not into gaming the first 90 minutes.
Mission 3. The fairy dragon did more damage to the party between his breath weapon and the pits than the jackalweres. I let on player run Wittel. And even though I offered up the silver scimitar before the final combat people were wary. Wittel did save and end combat on the last jackalwere with a Nat 20. No one could use the scimitar and no one wanted to take it. I forget who decide to take in case they revamped their pc. If it was up to me I would change the silver weapon to one the pcs could use.
Mission 4. I forgot to type up the clue for the first room. I suggest a dm do type up the clue and pass it out. The guy running Garland the fourth level life cleric knew the clue we stepped away from the table for about 5 minutes to give the group time to solve it. This is also where time stopped. It was just after 9 pm when the clue was solve but combat and other stuff slowed down the game after this. I did not draw all the rooms out like on the map. Just one room at a time. The reason was the second room with 9 doors. I suggest the dm roll a d10 and a player roll a d10 and ignore 10. That should be the passage way to final room. The dretch’s stink helps make the encounter difficult. I did mixed up the placement of the monsters. And the cauldrons with the braziers from mission 5. But once they got rid of dretch, they were able to kill 4 manes and knock over the cauldron.
Mission 5. To save time and since the final map (roughly 100 by 150 feet) I just due “X”s where the pc could not go. First gripe. The braziers are scatter all over the map but the cultists do not have missile weapons listed. I gave them long bows. Second gripe a monsters with cannot be hurt until x, y, or z. The players rolled with it. And this where Pyra’s god finally quit watching soaps and paying attention. I failed all by saving throws when he casted. But (and we were laughing about it) he only rolled 1’s all night for damage.
I suggest the missions be played in order. The dm print out 7 copies of handout 1. The dm type up and print out 7 copies of the clue in mission 4.
I did add to my dm supplies. I had a small $2 white board which I wrote AC down on. I add a wire book display holder. Glued two neo-magnets on the back of white board so it will stay on the stand.

Edit to add
31 monsters defeated. 1 pc death due massive damage.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
Question 3-15 Szith Morcana Unbound. Part 4. H. Dwellings. I think I reading this wrong. 18 caves on the map. Subtract 1 for the stone giants. If each cave is occupied then that is 17-34 Fire Giants in about 500 foot wide cavern. Or should be 1-2 Fire giant per section which there are 6.

jasper

Rotten DM
Here is my title page with dci and name edited out. This runs 4 pages. I do a hard page break before I list the monsters.
This should be font 26.
Shackles of Blood
DDEX3-2
DCI ############ Jaseper
XP
GP
Renown 1 Harper +1
Downtime Days 10
LEVEL 3rd
Potion of Healing, Dimension Door scroll,
+1 Rapier

This begins font 20 
Monsters
Red Plume Camp
Breex Vandermast AC 16 HP 71 Page 27
Red Plume Patrolmen AC 16 HP 27
Boar AC 11 HP 11
The Deriel’s Ambush
Captain Erlich AC 20 HP 52 page 28
Part 2 The Road to Hillsfar
Part 3 The Bell in the Depths
Swarm of Quipper AC 13 HP 28
Thug AC 11 HP 32
Thug AC 11 HP 32
Thug AC 11 HP 32
Thug AC 11 HP 32
Spy page 27 AC 12 HP 27
Druid page 29 AC 11/16 HP 27
End Fight Breex
Arena Guard AC 16 HP 11
Arena Guard AC 16 HP 11
Arena Guard AC 16 HP 11
Arena Guard AC 16 HP 11
end of title sheet/monster list
I have played in this module. The dm changed this around a lot. So it going to interesting running nearly straight from the write up.
Harump Map The bell in the depths. It hard to see the grid on the printed sheet. This is a 80 by 80 foot map. A improvement could a <--------80------> line could been on the map. Or the set up sized mentioned in the write up.
Monday and/or Tuesdays are going to be my review, check maps, and pull minis night. Except for the boar, I will be using my standard lead orcs as the villains.

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok Friday sucked. Shackles of Blood review.
My dice were horrible and mentally I guess I did a brain dump as I entered the store. Combat initiative was most of the party, most of npcs, last pc, then last npc. And this was all night. AC were 14 without buffs on the rogue and paladin/rogue had 22 with buffs. And I could not hit anything.
Some of players were replaying the module, so they had some feedback between how I ran it and how other dms ran it. The group started off using insight to discover Deriel was lying, so they beat her up, tied her up and then force her to take them to the ambush site. The map I drew was not clear so their was confusion there. And half my players agreed the forced captured sucked. The group did not want to split the party so they said ok to capture. During this combat even if I did hit everyone made their saving throw.
I skipped part 2 as it struck me as a cut scene.
The arena fight. RANT RANT RANT. I drew the map wrong AGAIN map problems. On the map I drew it was a 5 foot jump from all platforms on the closest parts of platform and bell tower. I am calling BS on how NPC can hide a rapier when the party could not. In the future, I think I just have in the party's chest. I did not kill Deriel and after 3 rounds allow a player run her as an ally. Again the dice were against me, All of but 1 pc went first. Which allowed them to get a good lead on the npcs. The group did not care to play to the crowd either.
After the bell was run the first time by the pcs, I threw Breex and his thugs in early to buff up the arena fight. At this point I was getting mad at the dice, some of players were not happy either. So I had the druid turn coat and help fight Breex.
Overall, I say 75% of the trouble was my fault with how the game played but the other 25% I place at the mostly forced ambush.
If I was going to run this again, I would make changes. Drop Derirel from part 1 or have her as npc from the get go. On the ambush/camp fights drop the backup squad, if the party survives just roll with and use role play to get them to enter the arena themselves. Arena fight double check the spacing on the map. Change the map. Have a min of 10 foot jump between the zip line platforms and bell tower. Move the ladders of the zip line tower to the back of the tower. Make sure the players know they can play to the crowd and hope they do.
Total Kill count 31 defeated monsters 1 dead pc

Motorskills

Explorer
Eh, as long as you learn, and as long as your players know that you are committed to improving, you should be fine. Speak to them OOC at the start of the next session if needs be.

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok, Feedback wanted. So far just some hint of the underdark and demons. I thinking of coming up with a dream madness chart. DC 10 Wisdom. On a fail check the chart
1-10 Hint of coming adventure give 1 inspritation
11-20 Bad dream. Disadvantage for 1st round of combat or dm whim when kicks in.
21-25 really bad dream. Roll on minor madness chart when entering combat. DM decides which combat.
26-30 Good dream. Advantage for one whole combat.
ETC EtC

jasper

Rotten DM
next game is Bane of the Tradeways. ddex3-5 Ug. Part 2 the wagons. Bad writing either the wagon is 10 by 10 feet long and 2 sets of horses 10 by 20 feet long. Or 20 foot by 10 foot wagon and 4 horses abreast 10 by 10.
If go with 10 square wagon visually it kind of tight if the pcs are in back of the wagon and drivers to the front. No room for cargo.
If I go 4 horse abreast that looks strange too.
Solution. drop 2 horses. keep 20 foot by 10 foot wagon. AC is 15 for horses HP 19 (no entry for war horse) . Keep AC 15. Bump horse HP 25. Part 2 mentions war horses by equipment mention draft horses.

Motorskills

Explorer
next game is Bane of the Tradeways. ddex3-5 Ug. Part 2 the wagons. Bad writing either the wagon is 10 by 10 feet long and 2 sets of horses 10 by 20 feet long. Or 20 foot by 10 foot wagon and 4 horses abreast 10 by 10.
If go with 10 square wagon visually it kind of tight if the pcs are in back of the wagon and drivers to the front. No room for cargo.
If I go 4 horse abreast that looks strange too.
Solution. drop 2 horses. keep 20 foot by 10 foot wagon. AC is 15 for horses HP 19 (no entry for war horse) . Keep AC 15. Bump horse HP 25. Part 2 mentions war horses by equipment mention draft horses.

Hollywood the :):):):) out of it, don't get bogged down. :D

jasper

Rotten DM
Found a 1 inch square graph paper pdf. Now I have road pieces. 1. Straight road. 2 S Curve. DC 5 if dashing or off road and lose speed. I will reuse these. 3. Overhanding branches. DC 5 check. If fail DC 10 dex save. Fail you are off the wagon or horse. The falling bridge. DC 5 check for first wagon, dc 10 for second , dc 15 for 3. If fail by 5 or more broken bridge. Winging on dc there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases