Jasper's DMs Season 3

jasper

Rotten DM
20170324_193211.jpg20170324_194413.jpgFireballing our posting

jasper

Rotten DM
The Occupation of Szith Morcane DDEX3-3 had a strong party and with the magic items they were carrying they made it very strong. I was the person with least experience
It wasn't a cake walk, it was cup cake walk. I even bumping some encounters up to very strong and the monsters were losing in a round or round and half. It also helped I was rolling average or below average on initiative. And the game store was running a very loud magic tourney which was distracting half of us.
The party had people with nice builds which if they got init meant a whole lot of damage coming down the pike on the monsters. Ranger Assassin with Oathbow, bracers of archery, etc was the high dealer of damage.
The most interesting thing that happen, was in the final combat. The druid cast wild shape and rolled a 1 kicking off a fly spell which landed on the Giant. Think about it. A Flying Fire Giant.
It went down 3 rounds and just for giggles I had the two people under make a dex save to avoid damage. They both missed and took I think 7 pts of blunt damage. The cleric in the party best initiative of the night was 4. And he was griping he did get to get into combat.
Count 4 dead pcs. 96 + monsters dead.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Thanks for the updates on these. Sounds like you've got some pretty swingy parties playing through these mods -- sometimes with a light turn-out, it seems like you could use better guidance adjusting the adventures to be less difficult, but then with a big crowd, the optimizers come out and steamroll the adventure regardless of how far you scale it up with the provided guidance.

Hope Season 6 goes well for you!

--
Pauper

RulesJD

First Post
The Occupation of Szith Morcane DDEX3-3 had a strong party and with the magic items they were carrying they made it very strong. I was the person with least experience
It wasn't a cake walk, it was cup cake walk. I even bumping some encounters up to very strong and the monsters were losing in a round or round and half. It also helped I was rolling average or below average on initiative. And the game store was running a very loud magic tourney which was distracting half of us.
The party had people with nice builds which if they got init meant a whole lot of damage coming down the pike on the monsters. Ranger Assassin with Oathbow, bracers of archery, etc was the high dealer of damage.
The most interesting thing that happen, was in the final combat. The druid cast wild shape and rolled a 1 kicking off a fly spell which landed on the Giant. Think about it. A Flying Fire Giant.
It went down 3 rounds and just for giggles I had the two people under make a dex save to avoid damage. They both missed and took I think 7 pts of blunt damage. The cleric in the party best initiative of the night was 4. And he was griping he did get to get into combat.
Count 4 dead pcs. 96 + monsters dead.

Just FYI, the first Encounter with the Black Pudding and Kua-toa can be super duper deadly, if you realize the power of Auto-grapple on hit + movement under water. Suddenly all of your spell casters are sucking because they can't do Verbal component spells and attacks to hit are almost always at Disadvantage. Throw in a Spirit Guardians underwater and there ya go.

jasper

Rotten DM
Two things to add. I mess up on rules on an assassin so that person was doing way too much damage after the first rounds. Second the Demon Patrol does not make sense with the RAW 3 quaggoths, 2 dretch, and Chasme.
The chasme is bogus unless the other members are immune.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
The chasme is bogus unless the other members are immune.

I believe the other demons are immune, based on the description of the chasme's Drone power -- as for the quaggoths, if you rule that they had to pass their saves earlier in the day to even patrol with the chasme, they'd already be immune (a successful save renders the saving creature immune for 24 hours). That's one of those 'adventure designer makes a DM call for you' situations that I'd hoped we'd grown beyond in Adventuers League versus Living Forgotten Realms.

--
Pauper

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases