Undying Light Fire Dragon Sorlock Advice

laughinggas

First Post
Hi everybody,

I already tried posting this but something happened so I will be brief and answer questions as needed to help clarify.

1) Do the above referenced classes stack on GFB? Does it apply to both parts of the damage?
2) Build Idea being Sorc 14/War 6 S1>W1>S2-4>W2-4>S5-6>W5-6>S7-14 sound good?
3) Is a 2 level dip in Paladin worth it? It would subtract from sorcerer, give healing, smite, fighting style, proficiency
4) Stat array given by DM sounds like it will be similar to 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, does CHA>DEX>CON>WIS>STR>INT sound about right?
5) For GFB, I plan to use finesse (DEX) or Club (Shillelagh from TOME). If DEX route, would pact of chain be better for pseudo-dragon familiar?

Character would be mainly a melee fighter with GFB and the plethora of other cantrips. 20 AC without spells or magic items would be the goal as well as 20 CHA.

Undying Light 6 to allow for 1 death per day with no repercussions.

The other idea was a Paladin 6/Sorcerer 14.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
1. Yes, +Chr to Fire & Radiant from Undying Light 1 and +Chr to an element from Dragon 6 can stack. So you can get +2xChr to fire.

2) Build Idea being Sorc 14/War 6 S1>W1>S2-4>W2-4>S5-6>W5-6>S7-14 sound good?
That pat doesn't put big delays on ASIs which is quite good, people sometimes forget about that. Starting Sorc gives proficiency in CON saves which is also good.

That said, doing your breaks on even levels when you keep swapping back to other classes means you keep missing the next higher level of spells. This can hold you back - at character level 8 you still don't have 3rd level spells which is a big step up in power.

Along the same lines, ending Warlock 6 skimps you out of a casting level. Warlock 7, for instance, can do Greater Invisibility several times per short rest which is a great concentration spell - grants advantages on your attacks, protects you, etc. With Sorcerer twin you can also give it to another of your party members. And with it up you get hit less so less chances to lose concentration.

If you aren't going for that, Warlock 5 means Sorc 15, which gives 8th level spells.

3) Is a 2 level dip in Paladin worth it? It would subtract from sorcerer, give healing, smite, fighting style, proficiency

You'll have the spells to dump into divine smite, it will give you medium armor and shield which saves a spell known for mage armor. How high of a level do you actually expect to go? If you are going all the way the lose of spell levels known might hurt more, but this would probably be a big boon getting there. It will also be 2 levels not adding towards ASIs.

Remember you won't have extra attack, so you get a lot less nova upside out of divine smite.

4) Stat array given by DM sounds like it will be similar to 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, does CHA>DEX>CON>WIS>STR>INT sound about right?
Sounds good, though I wish your CON was better. If you go Paladin swap DEX & CON since Medium armor has a max dex of +2 and while +1 Initiate and saves is nice, +1 HP per level and +1 HP on each HD of healing might outweigh it.

5) For GFB, I plan to use finesse (DEX) or Club (Shillelagh from TOME). If DEX route, would pact of chain be better for pseudo-dragon familiar?
I'd strongly suggest Shillelagh - you only get one attack a round, you want it to hit. BTW, staff is also one handed.

laughinggas

First Post
The 14/6 set up was to get both features, wings for dragon sorcerer and heal from death for undying light warlock. I guess I would lean towards another warlock level since not dying is rather useful.

The idea of having high dex was due to always on mage armor from dragon sorc for 13+Dex starting stats might be decently high so I was thinking I could get close to 18 before a shield.

new order of operations might be S1>W1(or1-2 for invocations)>S2-5>W2(or 3)-7>S6-13

Remove ads