How did you find ENWorld?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Here's a question for those who created accounts after WotC closed -- were you aware of other large communities at the time, or was the existence of a place like this a surprise?

Lylandra

Adventurer
Here's a question for those who created accounts after WotC closed -- were you aware of other large communities at the time, or was the existence of a place like this a surprise?

I was aware of EN (there were a lot of side-quotes from WotC to EN), but I didn't know how large it really was. I made a break from WotC a short time before 5e launched because from my point of view the "optimizers" who - in my opinion - stemmed from the MMO crowd seemed to be taking over and "hard", "constructed" DPS/R optimization, while being fun in a computer game or on a sketchbook, have little space in my roleplaying games.

What brought me here was my search for an adventure path, because I wanted to warm up my GM skills (haven't had GMed for years back then and my first "campaign" ended quickly) before starting my homebrew campaign. I've stumbled across WotBS and Zeitgeist and, given the positive reviews and the synopsis, decided to give the former a try (we're generally more into "classic" fantasy, so I wanted an easy hook-up). Google-fu about what other GMs did with their groups lead me to a lot of Obsidianportal wikis and also to the EN forums where I was positively surprised that 1) GMs were still playing and discussing the campaign and 2) Ryan was still providing feedback and answering questions (A really BIG "THANK YOU!" [MENTION=63]RangerWickett[/MENTION] ).

From there, I started reading other threads and was positively surprised, again, by the rather civil and mature tone of the forums and decided to stay :)
(And yes, EN *is* a civil forum. As I'm playing WoW as a second hobby, the big forums for that tend to be toxic mudpiles.)

Greenmtn

Explorer
Looking for ideas for character concepts cause I didn't know what to play for a then upcoming game with some buddies from a paintball forum.

pdzoch

Explorer
While looking for a way to better manage the class powers in D&D 4e, I found through a google search this thread. Which got me started working in the Magic Set Editor. While the thread appears to be long dead, and D&D is not in the 5th edition, I still use the software and post updated material using on this forum.

To answer [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]' question, there was a long time between when I first came here and when I actually became active. The WOTC sites, being the official site for the products, was where I attempted to engage the community most. However, I simply did not find the site easy to negotiate or really very vibrant. I was disappointed to say the least. When their forum shut down, I did not think it was much of a loss. I looked at other sites to participate it -- RPGGeek really hadn't taken off yet (it is still a fledgling companion to the boardgamegeek) and I found D&DReddit simply too hostile to waste my time with.

Janx

Hero
like Wicket, Eric Noah's 3rd edition news. before 3E launched.

Not sure how Morrus came to be the owner exactly. I assume Eric lost a game of cards in a musty backroom at gencon

tuxgeo

Adventurer
like Wicket, Eric Noah's 3rd edition news. before 3E launched.

Not sure how Morrus came to be the owner exactly. I assume Eric lost a game of cards in a musty backroom at gencon

:) Nice visual image!

Originally, Morrus started up EN World to provide a place for campaign material (if I recall correctly), and for users of Eric's site to have a place to play. When Eric decided to shut down his Rumors and News site, he agreed to coordinate with Morrus toward a continuity of experience, whereby users of Eric's site could have the same account name (and stats?) on Morrus' site.

As for me, I joined when 4E was nearly beginning, because EN World had effectively become a Rumors and News site again, but this time for the fourth edition. I wanted a forum site I could use without having to rely on USENET; Google showed me EN World, and I liked it enough to stay.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases