New Star Wars Novels = Boring

Water Bob

Adventurer
Like most of you here, I love Star Wars. I've been reading (listening to) several of the new Star Wars offerings. I must say, I am extremely disappointed with the novels (the Marvel comics are dynamite).

I started Chuck Wendig's Aftermath, but I could not finish it. I might give it another go somewhere down the line. Since I didn't finish the first book, I've ignored the other two in Wendig's trilogy.

Next, I read Claudia Gray's Bloodline, which a lot of people seem to like. I just don't see what everyone else sees. The book was boring-to-mediocre. There were some interesting moments and an interesting idea here or there, but as a whole, I felt like reading the book was time and money wasted.

Now, I'm about to finish Catalyst, James Luceno's prequel to the new Rogue One movie, and it's an effort to complete. I'm going to finish it just to finish it, but I'm really not enjoying it. I just want it to be over.

I was looking forward to Catalyst because I loved Luceno's (now marked as "Legends") book, Darth Plagueis. That book is interesting and insightful, and I felt like reading it made the prequels better movies. It's a damn good Star Wars book.

But, it seems that none of the new Star Wars novels are anything that I'd recommend to anybody. None of them are on par with, say, the aforementioned Darth Plagueis or Timothy Zahn's original trilogy.

I sure hope this trend changes.

And...maybe it's me. On Amazon, Catalyst has 50% 5-Star ratings, and it seems that everyone who reads Bloodline loves it.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I liked Ahsoka better than Aftermath (which I thought was OK, not great, but not nearly as bad as the plethora of hate-reviews on Amazon indicated). I really like the character Ahsoka Tano, though, so that probably contributed to my enjoyment of that novel.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
remember that one time, when Bob dropped a moon on Chewie?

That was the old EU, though. The new EU, to my knowledge, has not disrespected any wookiee in that way.

For the record, though he wrote it, I don't blame Bob Salvatore for that; it was mandated by the publisher. Incidentally, the NJO is what made me check out of the EU completely until the Old Republic MMO came along.

I dodged reading NJO due to owning the at the time Chronology book,which covered all of the events up to the start of Legacy of the Force,which I also skipped due to issues with not being interested and I'm not a fan of one of the writers who took part. I did however pick up all of the FotJ books and I'm currently attempting to get those books under the Legends banner that I don't own or own only in a single volume.

Remove ads