Hulburg Trilogy - A Concern For Baldman....

CapnZapp

Legend
In this case it is problematic.
But why?

Is this Dr Mingli performing deadly experiments on prisoners? Or is he part of some nefarious scheme to eradicate a certain part of a population? And most importantly, is he somehow rewarded or glorified for this heinous work?

Or is he just a NPC riffing off the mad doctor trope, also known as "the mengele"?

In short, how would it help you to rename the NPC (assuming all his beliefs, actions and plans remain in place unedited)?

Now, before you accuse us of being insensitive to your concerns, please consider that you haven't given us a chance of showing sensitivity and sympathy since you haven't shared your concerns.

Motorskills

Explorer
I'm not going to discuss it further. I'm glad to have been able to bring the matter to Baldman's attention and I'm comfortable to leave it in their hands, especially as I have not read the original text.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
Wait...
So you are claiming to be offended in some unsubstantiated way, by a name alone, that you've only heard of through hearsay, having never read the adventure in question yourself? Offended enough to complain here, yet not willing to discuss it or actually reveal how/why you are so bothered by it, and also to reach out to publisher about it. Very odd, sir, I must say.

Motorskills

Explorer
Wait...
So you are claiming to be offended in some unsubstantiated way, by a name alone, that you've only heard of through hearsay, having never read the adventure in question yourself? Offended enough to complain here, yet not willing to discuss it or actually reveal how/why you are so bothered by it, and also to reach out to publisher about it. Very odd, sir, I must say.

You managed to cram an impressive amount of wrong in one short paragraph.

Motorskills

Explorer
Wait...

Not my intent - just curious how something you've never read could be so offensive.

<sigh>

Look, my thread title and my OP were sub-optimal, happy to own that. My purpose was - and remains - to highlight this issue to Baldman, without causing them any undue stress or embarrassment. Hopefully I achieved that, but if this thread causes them grief along the way, I would feel bad about that.

Perhaps Baldman will agree with my concern and change the NPC's name (hell, swapping one letter in the guy's name would do it).
Perhaps Baldman will agree with my concern, but decide that it doesn't warrant a change.
Perhaps they will simply disagree.

Any of those decisions will be fine by me. Personally wouldn't want even the slightest risk of such association in any publication I was responsible for, but that's entirely up to them.

Now to your post....

i) I'm not claiming anything, it's a simple fact.

ii) I'm not offended, but I can well imagine others might be. At the end of the day, that's the whole point.

iii) It wasn't hearsay, I was there. But since I didn't read the text, I couldn't know if my DM was wildly mispronouncing something for example. (Based on posts above, it seems I was correct).

iv) I have not made a complaint. I was - and remain - concerned. This is my hobby too.
So I was anxious to bring the matter to Baldman's attention, and I've done that. But it's Baldman's game, they get to decide what to do, if anything.
Now that I've brought the matter to their attention, my task is complete.

Last edited:

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Now to your post.
i) I'm not claiming anything, it's a simple fact.
ii) I'm not offended, but I can well imagine others might be. At the end of the day, that's the whole point.
iii) It wasn't hearsay, I was there. But since I didn't read the text, I couldn't know if my DM was wildly mispronouncing something for example. (Based on posts above, it seems I was correct).
iv) I have not made a complaint. I was - and remain - concerned. This is my hobby too. So I was anxious to bring the matter to Baldman's attention, and I've done that. But it's Baldman's game, they get to decide what to do, if anything. Now that I've brought the matter to their attention, my task is complete.

All valid points.

That some folks seem eager to afflict the afflicted and comfort the comfortable is no reason for you to feel unjustified in making your observation.

--
Pauper

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases