Your top 10 Bufy episodes

Michael Tree

First Post
This was coming up a bit in the Rank the Seasons thread, so I figured I’d create a new thread for it. I’ll use the episode names as well as a brief description.

These have some major spoilers in them, so if you havn’t seen the whole series, read at your own risk.

Honorable Mentions: (Okay, so I had trouble keeping my list to 10. :p )

The Zeppo (Xander’s episode) – Not only does Xander shine, but it’s also the best instance of the show self-consciously mocking itself and its periodic apocalyptic angst.

Passion (Angel kills Jenny Calendar) Between Giles’ line “Since Angel lost his soul, he's regained his sense of whimsy” Jenny’s death, and Giles’ reaction to it, it's Buffy at its most painful.

Life Serial (the 3 geeks torment Buffy) – Buffy at her silly best. What can I say? Any episode that introduces Clem, has a fun groundhog-day sequence, and gets Buffy drunk and sitting in on a game of kitten poker is good by me. :)

Lies My Parents Told Me (Principal Wood tries to kill Spike) – While not as funny as some episodes, it has some nice personal chill from all the characters involved.

Conversations with Dead People (Dawn fights with a shadowy creature for her mom, Buffy has a conversation with an old classmate who’s now a vampire, and Willow talks with a ghost who claims to be talking for Tara) - A creepy trio of stories which made me really love The First as a big bad. Plus, Dawn's anchovy song is a classic. :D

Tabula Rasa (Willow’s spell goes wrong, and everyone loses their memories.) Sure it advances the magic addiction storyline, but what’s important is that it’s silly, pokes fun at itself, and references Restless.

10) Chosen (The last episode) – While it’s not perfect, and suffered from having to tie up the loose end of a poor season, it still was an wonderful end for the show, with great dialogue and characterization (Giles is actually himself again, for the first time since the finale of season 6), butt-kicking-action, Trogdor the burninator, and a funny non-resolution to the buffy/spike/angel triangle.

9) Fool for Love (Spike’s background story, with him reciting bad poetry before being turned by Drusilla, and killing two slayers, all told in conversation with Buffy) – This episode singlehanded gave depth to Spike, and was lots of fun too. It becomes even more meaningful once we learn more about Principal Wood in season 7.

8) Welcome to the Hellmouth / The Harvest (the 2-hour series premiere) – It introduced all the characters, had some of the best dialogue in the entire series, and featured the first and best of many “Buffy kills the big bad and makes a cool pose” scenes.

7) Earshot (Buffy becomes telepathic) – This episode highlights what is so great about Buffy. Most TV shows have a definite niche – comedies are never dramatic, dramas are rarely funny, suspense shows are rarely silly – but Buffy has it all, in one seamless package. Great character moments in the library when we hear what each character is thinking (Xander thinking about sex, Oz being deep, Cordy saying exactly what she’s thinking), hilarious dialogue, and great drama at the end with Jonathan, followed by one of the funnies single shots in Buffy history – Xander startling the cook.

6) Hush (the silent episode with the Gentlemen) – The first of Joss Whedon’s fantastic cinematic experiments, and one of the creepiest episodes there is.

5) The Gift (Season 5 finale) – Fun, action, and drama all around. Buffy is the most heroic she’s ever been, Doc is one of the creepiest enemies they’ve had, and Giles shows his true colors.

4) Once More With Feeling (The musical) – Great music, funny and touching dialogue, and a season’s worth of plot development, all wrapped up in one silly brilliant bunny-rocking package.

3) Becoming part 2 (Season 2 finale) – What can I say? Buffy killing Angel had me in tears, Spike’s speech about “happymeals on legs” was hilarious and character-defining, and even Giles and Xander (“She says ‘Kick his ass’”) shined. Plus, Spike and Joyce’s first meeting.

2) Restless (the dream episode) – Not only is it cinematically beautiful, surreal, and funny, it’s also perfect character studies for each of the four core characters. Willow’s dream is goofy and artsy and ultimately neurotic. Xander’s dream is by far the strangest, highlighting his brutal family life and odd relationships with everyone else. Giles’s dream is wry and secretly cool, with Buffy as a little girl, Spike as a poseur, Anya as a terrible comedian, and Giles himself as a torchsong singer. And Buffy’s dream, full of surreal poetry and responsibility, Riley and Adam acting like little boys, and conversations with the first Slayer about her fashion sense.

1) The Body (the few hours after Buffy’s Mom dies) – This is, bar none, the single best depiction of death and peoples initial reactions to it that I have ever seen on TV film, or any other medium. It’s beautifully and brutally filmed, and wonderfully acted by everyone. My heart broke for the characters several times while watching it, even for Anya, who I normally find unsympathetic.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I've only seen the first three seasons, with Season Four coming out on DVD Real Soon Now. So....

Out of Sight, Out of Mind
Very original and creepy idea, ignored kids becoming literally invisible. And an even creepier ending, with an FBI schoolroom full of them learning how to stalk and kill people.

The Pack
Mmmmm, carnivores. When they killed and ate the prinicipal, this was where I really did start to realize that anything could happen and no-one was really safe.

The Witch
I've always had a soft spot for those 70's witchcraft/teen revenge movies, and this was almost like an homage to them. I especially like later when Oz is looking at the little cheerleader statue in the case and saying it looks like the eyes are following him. Good touch.

School Hard
Spike and Dru's debut. 'Get your hands off my daughter!'. Excellent.

Ted
Creepy, creepy. And with Buffy thinking she's killed a person... very nice handling.

Passion
Jenny's death really affected me. :( I was really starting to love her character.

Killed by Death
Excellent creepy monster.

The Wish
Possibly my favorite so far, with the possible exception of the 'sequel' below. I've always loved 'what-if' scenarios like that.

Dopplegangland
Evil Willow! Vampiric Xander! 'Aw F....' 'And I think I'm kinda gay!' Loved it.

Earshot
Yeah, the shot of Xander finding the school cook pouring in the rat poison.. priceless.

Really, I've enjoyed ALL of them so far. Faith and the Mayor, Giles shadowy past, poor Jenny... all of it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
The ten best buffy shows to me (noted by event rather than name):

10:Faith takes Buffy's body part 1
9: Faith takes Buffy's body part 2
8: Season 5 finale (buffy defeats Glory, closes portal, and dies)
7: The Halloween costume episode from season 2
6: The Zeppo (Xander's solo show in season 3)
5: The Season 7 Finale (the D&D monent make the entire sow for me)
4: The Gentlemen
3: The Dream Episode ("The cheese man")
2: Buffy kills Angel in season 2
1: Buffy Musical

DanMcS

Explorer
We have to pick just 10? :) Heck, even season 4 had a bunch of good ones, and I like that season the least.

Hush, Once More with Feeling, The Zeppo, Passion, Most of the season finales save season 4, the Anya flashback episode ("The troll is doing an Olaf impression!" "You are small and toylike!"). Band Candy, pretty much any episode with Ethan Rayne, The Wish, Dopplegangland.

The villainous nerd episodes in early season six had me rolling, "Give me that back, dillhole." "We're your arch-nemesi. Nemeseses. Nemeses."

I really like the dracula episode, the season 5 premiere, it was the first Buffy I ever saw. "I've seen your movie, I know you always come back." "Are you sure it wasn't just a fanboy? I can't count the number of pudgy vampires I've dusted who call themselves Lestat."

Crothian

First Post
This is really hard, we'll see if I can limit the list to just ten!!

13)Help: Seventh season, Buffy the school counslor and the girl who predicts her own death.
12) Triangle: Fifth season, Willow and Anya summon the troll
11) When she was bad: Second Season, Buffy reacts to Master possible coming back
10) Something Blue: Fourth season, Willow subjects world to her will
9) Family: Fifth Season, Tara's family shows up
8) Him: Seventh season, Dawn, Buffy, Willow, and Anya all fall for the Schoolboy with the magic jacket.
7) Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered: Second Season, all the girls but Cordie fall for Xander
6) Band Candy: Third Season, Adults revert back to teenagers
5) Pangs: Fourth Season, Thanksgiving episode.
4) The Pack: First Season, Xander possessed by animal
3) Halloween: Second Season, everyone becomes their custom
2) The Real Me: Fifth Season, Dawn's journalk episode and Harmony has Minions!!
1) Hush: Fourth Season, The Gentlemen and silence

Nope, suprised I got it down to thirteen though!!

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
In no particular order: (And since I'm really bad with episode names I'm going to do the Friends thing).

The One Which Was the Sequal to the Parallel "Buffy never came to Smallville" Universe.
The One Named 'Zeppo'.
The One That's a Musical ('Once More With Feeling'?)
The One That Was Silent With the Creepy Gentlemen Demons.
The One Where Buffy's Mom is Dead.
The One Where Giles's Turned Into a Demon.
The One Where Buffy Dies (Again).
The One Where Buffy and Ryley Are Stuck Inside a Frat House Posessed by Nymphs Or Something.
The One Where Everyone Is Posessed by Their Halloween Costumes.
The One Where Giles and Joyce Turn Into Teens.

EDIT: Changed description to show I meant the second VampWillow episode, not the first.

Last edited:

MulhorandSage

First Post
1. Becoming I/II (Season 2): It built to a climax and exceeded expectations. Just wonderful,
2. Surprise/Innocence (Season 2): This was the episode where Buffy jumped the tracks and left conventional television behind.
3. Hush (Season 4): This could have been a gimmick. It was a triumph.
4. Passion (Season 2): It wasn’t just Jenny’s death – it was how Angelus packaged the gift that made him a total bastard.
5. Prophecy Girl (Season 1): “I’m 16. I don’t want to die”. Buffy had some great moments before this, but this was the scene that really harkened the show’s greatness.
6. The Zeppo (Season 3). The definitive Xander episode and a great parody of the series itself.
7. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered (Season 2). Neck and neck with the Zeppo as the series’ funniest episode.
8. This Year’s Girl/Who Are You (Season 4): Oddly, the definitive Faith episodes weren’t in Season 3; combined with Angel’s “5x5” and “Sanctuary”, it’s a fun and fascinating look at the series’ third slayer.
9. Once More With Feeling (Season 6). Great villain, great songs.
10. Lie To Me (Season 2). An underrated episode, with the lead from Roswell playing an old high school friend of Buffy’s with a secret agenda. It has one of the best plot twists in the history of the series, one of the creepiest Dru moments ever in the teaser, and a Giles/Buffy scene at the coda that will break your heart.

Honorable Mentions: Angel (Season 1), Anne (Season 3), The Body (Season 5), Chosen (Season 7), Conversations With Dead People (Season 7), Doppelgangerland (Season 3), Fear Itself (Season 4), Fool For Love (Season 5), The Gift (Season 5), Help (Season 7), Helpless (Season 3), Lover’s Walk (Season 3), Restless (Season 4), School Hard (Season 2), Selfless (Season 7), When She Was Bad (Season 2), The Wish (Season 3), The Witch (Season 1).

Guilty Pleasures: Beer Bad (Season 4), Doublemeat Palace (Season 6), Homecoming (Season 3), Inca Mummy Girl (Season 2), The Puppet Show (Season 1)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
OK, here's my list:

#10 - Passion
#9 - Hush
#8 - Doppleganger
#7 - Homecoming
#6 - The epsiode where Buffy & Faith had the showdown (late in season 3)
#5 - The Pilot*
#4 - The Wish
#3 - Once More with Feeling
#2 - Becoming - (both parts)
#1 - The Gift

*Most people haven't seen this, as it never aired. It is a one-hour episode. The script was later expanded to become the first two episodes, but I like the shorter version better. It had a different actress as Willow (ironically, the same actress that the evil Willow killed in Doppleganger), and a different and much funnier actor playing Principal Flutie. The climax battle also worked better, taking place in the auditorium which was set up for the school play.

Last edited:

Michael Tree

First Post
It really is tough to just pick 10. Even in my fairly extensive list above I passed over many episodes that I loved.

Doppelgangland was the first episode where we realized just how flexible an actor Allyson Hannigan was. She convincingly played 4 roles in it: Normal Willow, Evil Willow, Evil Willow pretending to be Normal Willow, and Normal Willow pretending to be Evil Willow.

As for the troll episodes, I have only one thing to say: "Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha! Puny receptacle!" :D

There's a lot of episodes I've missed over the years, but I just watched season 1 and 2 on DVD, and I'm over half way through season 3.

Right now, I'd just give a top 3, with many other episodes all in a tie for fourth (Joyce's death, Bad Girls and Consequences with Faith, the prom episode just because the seniors gave Buffy an award for always saving them, the season 5 finale for Buffy's epitaph--"She saved the world--a lot," etc.).

3. Becoming, part II (season 2 finale). Omigod, she killed Angel. You bastard!

1. (tie) Hush and The Wish. Hush for The Gentlemen. All I have to do is grin and pantomime holding a scalpel and my daughter freaks out. And The Wish for the nice alternate world--esp. the "puppy" and the end where Buffy stakes VampXander with the most flat "business as usual" look on her face, Oz kills VampWillow, Angel dies, etc.--but it's all undone by Gile's faith that there has to be a better world (not to mention that Anyanka really doesn't want him to destroy the medallion--big clue, that!).

Remove ads