D&D 5E Your First Module

Just getting some nostalgia/ discussion going.

What was the first module that you purchased? What was the first module that you ran? Was it for D&D or another game system? Was it official?

Zardnaar

Legend
Not 100% sure.

1st one I played was Keep on the Borderlands. 1st one I run in 1993 or 1994 was either B3: Palace of the Silver Princess or B4 The Lost City. X1 Isle of read was another early one.

1st one I bought is also hard to remember as I did not tend to use prepublished back them. Might have been a dungeon magazine otherwise it would be a 2E adventure either Labyrinth of Madness or The Night Below.

Our early books were what we could find buried in a closet or steal off older brothers/friends of friends.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
It was either Night Below or one of the other adventures that could be gotten in boxed-set form in the mid '90s.

I hadn't been in on the D&D thing all that long, and those boxes were the things on the shelf that seemed like a good buy-in after I'd run a few campaigns using nothing but the core books, and I bought and ran a few in pretty rapid order so I can't remember which was first. I think it was Night Below because that is the one that has stuck with me, so it was either the first or just the first that went well.

ccs

41st lv DM
The first module I ran was B2: Keep on the Borderlands.
Because it came packed in the Basic set that I got for Christmas '80. So that's what we started with. A few days after unwrapping the best Christmas present ever, a party of 2 elves, a 1/2ling, & a fighter found themselves trudging up the road to the Keep. And shortly after that, armed with a few rumors (& all the weapons they could afford/carry), they began exploring the Caves of Chaos.
They picked a cave at random & brought death & destruction to the Goblin lair. And the ogre. And the Hobgoblins. And the....
We spent most of '81 playing through B2. We were kids though, so sometimes we'd play a lot, sometimes a little, and game sessions could be spaced out anywhere from several days to a month or so in-between.
The party also changed frequently as the players tried out all the classes. But every few sessions the players would come back to running those initial characters.

The first module I bought would be X1: The Isle of Dread.
Because it came packed in the Expert set that I bought in the spring of '82. :)
By this time I was getting better at adding story to the game, so when the players beat the undead temple in B2 I had them find a "Treasure Map" as part of the loot. The evil priests had found the fabled "Isle of Dread"....
Pick your characters, level them up to 4th lv using this new book I got, & next time we'll be off to The Isle of Dread!
Several weeks later 2 elves, 1 Halfling, & 1 fighter set sail.

After that I have no idea what order we bought/played stuff, except that summer during Isle of Dread we started adding 1e stuff. Eventually the game switched to 1e using a combination of BECmi modules, AD&D modules, Judges Guild & Dragon stuff, & stuff of our own. Mid-'82 - '89 we played alot & often. :)

Also ran Keep on the Borderlands first, because it came with the red box. (That was the earlier, Moldvay set.)

I had zero idea what I was doing. I just gave the map to my player (yes, singular) as a prop, and read the room descriptions in numerical order. :blush:

I don't recall what the first module I bought individually was, and I rarely ran or played in modules after that point. I think the first one I played in was White Plume Mountain, which went about as well as my attempt to run Keep did.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Wow...It's hard to remember. Probably around '78-'80....hummm..

Could be: T1 - Village of Hommlet, or S1 - Tomb of Horrors, or S2 White Plume Mountain, or S3 Expedition to Barrier Peaks.

In the beginning, I was just a player, and then I started collecting and dabbling as a DM.

My formative years DMing were mostly using Dungeon magazines for bits and pieces of ideas and plug and play adventures in addition to homebrew.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I suspect I got the Red Box and the Blue Box as gifts, so that means the first one I probably bought for myself was the BSOLO adventure 'Ghost of Lion Castle'. Mainly because I had no one to play with, so the solo choose-your-own-adventure style mod was the only thing I could use to play the game with at the time.

I couldn't tell you the first module I ran, as my first few attempts at running a game for my best friend were basically drawing a map and then putting monsters in the rooms. So it might not have been until 3E when I actually ran a semi-perm campaign for a while that I probably used a published mod... but which one it was I couldn't tell you.

Last edited:

Remove ads