Crusade

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Just started watching this show, by the writer of Babylon 5. The acting is really awful for many of the key characters, but the plots are pretty solid so far. Anyone else watching this? Is it even on the air still, or am I watching the one and only season that will be made of this show?

Mistwell

Ah, serves me right for not researching it before I asked...
I looked it up and found that it is two years old and was cancelled after 13 episodes. Too bad, I am enjoying the stories, though I would not be surprised if the truly terrible acting played a material role in the cancellation.

buzzard

First Post
Basically the creator killed the show himself because the network wanted the show to go in a direction which he found to be unacceptable. Basically JMS said that TNT wanted to turn the show into WWF in space. This, of course, would have been horrific, so I'm glad he killed it.

buzzard

Chun-tzu

First Post
This article talks about the cancellation a bit. Here's a quote:

As Straczynski's numerous Usenet posts have revealed, the problems began almost immediately upon filming. The story, which initially started up in the midst of the action, was deemed too obscure by the higher-ups at TNT, and the cast and crew were called back in to film entirely new setup episodes while those that had already been shot were reordered. Perhaps the most damning actions taken by TNT deal with a rumored memo (which has since been corroborated by Straczynski himself) that contained general orders to not only distance Crusade from Babylon 5 (from which it is a direct sequel), but also to up the ante on sex and violence. One preposterous suggestion entailed portraying a primary crew member as a "sexual explorer," who sought out intimate encounters with all forms of alien life, while another stated that all fight scenes should resemble those seen in professional wrestling.

Mistwell

I'll be seeing him at an open lecture at the San Diego comic con in a month and a half...if nobody else asks the question, I will try to get in a question about the potential for a completion to this story at least.

Mallus

Legend
Mistwell said:
Too bad, I am enjoying the stories, though I would not be surprised if the truly terrible acting played a material role in the cancellation.

Hey, some truly terrible acting didn't hurt Babylon 5 any... okay, so it did, but it didn't stop it from being one of the best SF shows ever televised.

Its a shame about Crusade. JMS has numerous faults as a writer, but I always got the impression that he loves SF/F. And it shows in his work. Mostly everything that good about SF found its way into B5 {along with a lot of whats bad...}, and I had no reason to doubt the same would have been true for Crusade. He's got a big SF imagination, and he knows how to work within the confines of the genre.

I wish he was working on Enterprise. I really do. Now that would be the shot in the storyline, err, arm, that Enteprise needs.

Last edited:

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Mistwell said:
I'll be seeing him at an open lecture at the San Diego comic con in a month and a half...if nobody else asks the question, I will try to get in a question about the potential for a completion to this story at least.
He has mentioned that he's working (very early stages) on a
maxi-comic-series that would be published by WildStorm which will
tie up the storylines of both Crusade and Legend of the Rangers.

If it will happend though, I don't know.

WizarDru

Adventurer
The funny thing about Crusade is that the stories TNT reallly screwed up come first....when you see what was obviously intended to be the real pilot, you can see how much was lost. The show gets better and better, and JMS released the scripts for the season two-part finale (as well as the script featuring the return of Bester), which were outstanding.

The real crime is that a show full of possiblities got shot down so early...although I'm glad it died of it's own choice, as opposed to turning into something really crappy.

At least Jeremiah got renewed. :D

Kahuna Burger

First Post
buzzard said:
Basically the creator killed the show himself because the network wanted the show to go in a direction which he found to be unacceptable. Basically JMS said that TNT wanted to turn the show into WWF in space. This, of course, would have been horrific, so I'm glad he killed it.

Considering JMS's responses to criticism (as I observed on the BAB5 groups during 5th season) I have to take anything he says about what went wrong with Crusade with a healthy dose of salt. :( Much as I enjoy his work overall, he... um... seems to have some ego problems...

Kahuna Burger

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases