D&D 5E Hydellor OOC

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'm interested! What's the starting level? I imagine 27 point buy?

I'm thinking of a cleric (knowledge)/wizard with the sage background. From a noble background, but that wasn't in line for any power, so he buried himself in his academic studies. He sensed a change in his connection to the divine, and is driven to understand what is happening. I'm thinking of a human or thiefling (born from a human family - and the thiefling heritage further discredited him from any nobility aspirations).
Friend (or family) - Grandmother, current matriarch of their noble house. He's very fond of her, and worries about assassinations plots against her in his spare time
Foe (or rival) - Uncle and Cousin. He is the one that will inherit the family's noble title, ans sees my character as a threat.
Contact - other academic at the royal library.

He can come from any major city with a library.
ok?
Cheers,

SG

So several things here. I like the idea. If you're from a noble background you likely have access to education at the Academy. The Academy is in Lake Tasalda and managed to remain neutral during the war and was instrumental in brokering the peace. Think of it as West Point, MIT, CalTech, and all the Ivy League schools rolled into one. This is THE place you want to send your children for their education. If you can pay a hefty sum or scrounge up a patron, you can go. While it was founded as a wizarding school, it has grown to encompass all the disciplines, and now includes a College of War, College of the Divine, College of Magic, College of Nature, and College of Bards.

Human or Tiefling might determine where you come from. Tieflings are increasingly common in Helveki as noble houses strive for the favor of Asmodeus and the Warlock Queen. In Helveki, being a tiefling wouldn't discredit you. On the contrary, it would show your house was favored. Though many houses keep them in secret and train them as assassins.

You mentioned sensing a change in your connection to the divine. This seems to imply Paladine as your deity. In Helveki, that would be a problem, as the Church is illegal. We could work a backstory of your noble house being one that still secretly maintains the old faith. Then we would need to explain the tiefling aspect. Not impossible to do with some brainstorming. Asmodeus isn't above playing multiple angles, as it were.

Tiefling will work. Your backstory will just be a bit more involved. I can give you others of the "new gods" if you would rather be from the Dawn Church than the Church of Paladine. Ioun the Crone would be good for a knowledge cleric.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
So several things here. I like the idea. If you're from a noble background you likely have access to education at the Academy. The Academy is in Lake Tasalda and managed to remain neutral during the war and was instrumental in brokering the peace. Think of it as West Point, MIT, CalTech, and all the Ivy League schools rolled into one. This is THE place you want to send your children for their education. If you can pay a hefty sum or scrounge up a patron, you can go. While it was founded as a wizarding school, it has grown to encompass all the disciplines, and now includes a College of War, College of the Divine, College of Magic, College of Nature, and College of Bards.

Human or Tiefling might determine where you come from. Tieflings are increasingly common in Helveki as noble houses strive for the favor of Asmodeus and the Warlock Queen. In Helveki, being a tiefling wouldn't discredit you. On the contrary, it would show your house was favored. Though many houses keep them in secret and train them as assassins.

You mentioned sensing a change in your connection to the divine. This seems to imply Paladine as your deity. In Helveki, that would be a problem, as the Church is illegal. We could work a backstory of your noble house being one that still secretly maintains the old faith. Then we would need to explain the tiefling aspect. Not impossible to do with some brainstorming. Asmodeus isn't above playing multiple angles, as it were.

Tiefling will work. Your backstory will just be a bit more involved. I can give you others of the "new gods" if you would rather be from the Dawn Church than the Church of Paladine. Ioun the Crone would be good for a knowledge cleric.

Very interesting! So the elements I pitched were based on my almost non-existent knowledge of the setting. This gives me some things to think about. I like the idea of having gone to The Academy (who doesn't want an Ivy league education from all the schools! ;-) Since I didn't know we were going to start at level 1, I was thinking of a cleric/wizard multi-class, but that changes things a bit. The ties to Paladin were also for a plot hook.

Tell me, do you have any requirements towards alignment? I was thinking of doing a good or neutral character, but want to be aligned with the rest of the party.
Cheers!

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Very interesting! So the elements I pitched were based on my almost non-existent knowledge of the setting. This gives me some things to think about. I like the idea of having gone to The Academy (who doesn't want an Ivy league education from all the schools! ;-) Since I didn't know we were going to start at level 1, I was thinking of a cleric/wizard multi-class, but that changes things a bit. The ties to Paladin were also for a plot hook.

Tell me, do you have any requirements towards alignment? I was thinking of doing a good or neutral character, but want to be aligned with the rest of the party.
Cheers!

SG
The starting area I have prepared is in southern Essess, on the frontier of the Cold Woods south of the capital.

As for alignment, probably not CE or NE. Mostly I want you to be able to work together. No burning down orphanages for lulz.

As for the regional alignments, which in no way necessarily have to inform yours:

Arideen is LG/NG. It's a theocracy. Smaller population concentrated in mountain valleys. Most highly trained army. Primary resources are lumber and minerals.

Essess is CG/CN. It's a republic. High population, low population density. Citizen army, small professional army. Not as well trained. Primary resources are lumber and agriculture.

Helveki is LE/LN. Mostly an emphasis on Lawful. It's a monarchy and highly mercantile. Wealthiest. Moderate population with highest population density mostly along the coast. Best navy. Army consists mostly of mercenary troops. Primary resources are lumber, minerals, and cash agriculture (wine, olives, olive oil, etc). Not as much room for staple agriculture like wheat, corn or rice.

Gilead is Good. Government is a dukedom loyal to Arideen. Good navy and adequate resources for the small population. Primary resources are fishing.

Misthaven is typically CN/G. Government is a local governor loyal to Arideen, but more or less independent. Kept mostly neutral during the war. Primary resources are fish.

Last edited:

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Looks like there is still room for more, so I will throw my hat into the arena. I have so many character ideas I might go ahead and just roll first to see which one would fit the stats best.

I love the requirements for the background! I like writing them up. :)

tglassy

Adventurer
I really want to get involved with this. I'm involved in so many PBP games right now, but all of them are slow, and it doesn't take much to post once a day or two. Character creation is the hardest part.

I've never done a Cleric, and doing one with Paladin as my god is what's interesting me. I'm thinking a Life Cleric, but fluffing it so as to not be a "Cleric" or "Priest", but as someone who suddenly learned he had the power to heal. Like a Chosen of Paladin.

He wants to take people's pain away. He grew up in squalor, raised by his older sister, who was a thief. She took care of him, but wasn't above using him. He did whatever she wanted growing up, perhaps even being part of her cons, though he didn't like that. He hated it, actually. He just wanted to help people, but she would always chastise him when he tried. Their relationship is...dubious, at best.

He was a teenager when his power to heal developed. His sister wanted to pass him off as some kind of miracle worker, to con donations out of people, but he wouldn't let her. Instead, he would sneak out at night and find people whom he met who had certain ailments, and ease them secretly, so no one would know it was him. He could almost see the pain in the world, and had an overwhelming urge to heal it. He couldn't do everything, he knew that, but he could do a lot. He could do more than most people.

He is older, now. In his twenties. He still has contact with his sister, but their relationship has always been strained. When he was old enough he started taking jobs as a mercenary, usually guarding caravans as they traveled from city to city. He met an older mercenary who taught him how to move in heavy armor, and how to fight, though he always kept his healing power a secret. He is a devout of Paladin, but he has not made the connection that his power comes from Paladin.

There is a woman (there always is) that he has fallen for. He's known her for a number of years, and wants to marry her, but doesn't have enough money to afford to. It's why he takes these jobs.

No idea what race, or where he's from, as I don't know the setting. I still need to figure that stuff out.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ok, since [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] want to play a cleric, I'll reserve the lore bard. Still need to decide if Human or Thiefling (and maybe half elf), but the rest of what we talked about [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] sounds like a plan.
Cheers,

SG

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases