D&D 4E MwaO's Frankensteins

darkbard

Legend
Modified the Fighter|Sorcerer MC Monk to have a 13th level version. Nasty...

Nasty, indeed! I love the build for many reasons but do have one criticism: it can't really serve as a party's primary defender with that AC as it works out in Paragon. (The rest of the defenses are excellent.) Now as a striker and secondary defender....

I guess it's how you see its role.

MwaO

Adventurer
Nasty, indeed! I love the build for many reasons but do have one criticism: it can't really serve as a party's primary defender with that AC as it works out in Paragon. (The rest of the defenses are excellent.) Now as a striker and secondary defender....

I guess it's how you see its role.

Thanks!

Level 13 is a really bad level AC-wise. It gets +2 at 14th. Throw in Elven Chain Shirt and the build gets to AC 31 at 14th. Which is effectively starting AC of 18.

Also, on an AP turn, it has Resist 10 from the AP and then on the Kirre's Roar turn, Resist 2. It has Dragonflame Mantle for a small bonus to defenses when needed. And the build can even ignore being unconscious or stunned for a round from the level 10 option.

So it might be getting a little more than average, but at the same time, really hard to take down in the first couple of rounds. By which time, it should have done a lot of damage.

MwaO

Adventurer
A more 'modern' version of Grey Ioun Stone Marker. Basically restructuring for two things:
While it doesn't have the slow/daze thing of Hindering Shield/Overwhelming Impact, it prones at 11th.
Hands of the Titan is insane with Brutal Barrage & Serifal Feywarden & Lasting Frost. As it can trigger two vulnerabilities, to say Thunder & Cold. This gives the build an encounter nova that can easily do over hundred points of damage.

Note, everything should be set up to work at 13th - so Lasting Frost should be replacing Harlequin Style and Cunning Stalker replacing Lashing Flail at precisely 13th. But until you get to 13th, you want Lashing Flail+Harlequin Style. Why?

Because Brutal Barrage does this when augmented 1 at 13th and used twice in the following nova:
(combat starts, moves 8 squares up to target)
On turn:
Minor: Hands of Titan Sarifal
Minor: Serifal's Blessing
Standard: Brutal Barrage
AP: Brutal Barrage
Con(Brutal Barrage)+Cha(Hands of Titan, 4 energy types, Cold and Thunder among them)+5(after 1st hit, Vul to Cold 5)+10(Sarifal's Blessing for Vul 10 Thunder). i.e. 20+25+25+25+25+25+25+25. Or potentially 195 points of damage on 8 hits, but more likely about 149 on 6 hits+about 40% chance of a critical hit for an extra 10 or so. Then on the next round, about 70-75 more with 3 hits and mark some targets. After round 2, do what Grey Ioun Stone Marker normally does...

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Elemental Ioun Stone Marker 4, level 16
Satyr, Battlemind/Fighter, Daring Blade
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Power Point Option
Hybrid Talent Option: Psionic Study (Hybrid)
Psionic Study (Hybrid) Option: Speed of Thought (Hybrid)
Akanûl (Akanûl Benefit)
Theme: Sarifal Feywarden

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 22, DEX 9, INT 13, WIS 11, CHA 22

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 16, DEX 8, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 32 Fort: 31 Ref: 26 Will: 30
HP: 127 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 31

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +19, Endurance +20, Perception +13, Streetwise +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +9, Athletics +7, Diplomacy +14, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +8, History +9, Insight +8, Intimidate +14, Nature +12, Religion +9, Stealth +5, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Sarifal Feywarden Utility: Sarifal's Blessing
Satyr Utility: Lure of Enchantment
Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
Battlemind Feature: Blurred Step
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Battlemind Feature: Speed of Thought
Bard Feature: Majestic Word
Fighter Attack 1: Brash Strike
Battlemind Utility 2: Psionic Vigor
Fighter Attack 3: Shield Edge Block
Fighter Attack 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter Utility 6: Daring Shout
Battlemind Attack 7: Lightning Rush
Battlemind Attack 9: Iron Tomb
Battlemind Utility 10: Hands of the Titan
Daring Blade Attack 11: Weapon Display
Daring Blade Utility 12: Defensive Posture (Daring Blade)
Battlemind Attack 13: Brutal Barrage
Battlemind Attack 15: Mind Blade
Battlemind Utility 16: Instant Move

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Charisma)
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Quick Reactions
Level 6: Harlequin Style
Level 8: Flail Expertise
Level 10: Bardic Dilettante
Level 11: Lashing Flail
Level 12: Improved Defenses
Level 14: Lasting Frost
Level 16: Cunning Stalker

ITEMS
Spirit Fetch
Staggering Alhulak +3 x1
Dwarven Scale Armor +3 x1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Amulet of Protection +3 x1
Heavy Shield x1
====== End ======

darkbard

Legend
I finally had a chance to compare this GISM to the earlier iteration and, I must say, it is insane! Explosive, optimized striker-level R1 plus devastating defense that GISM normally provides R2+, as you note.

While such optimized builds are instructive on many levels, I wonder, though, if you have given any thought to a version of this you might actually play at a table according to your credo: to be a solid contributor or minor star but not blow the typical table away--and by typical table, I here assume one that has solid build knowledge but isn't necessarily making all the optimal choices at every decision point for their characters (i.e., not every striker is some version of Firegoat, not every leader is some version of a 'Switch, etc.).

MwaO

Adventurer
I finally had a chance to compare this GISM to the earlier iteration and, I must say, it is insane! Explosive, optimized striker-level R1 plus devastating defense that GISM normally provides R2+, as you note.

While such optimized builds are instructive on many levels, I wonder, though, if you have given any thought to a version of this you might actually play at a table according to your credo: to be a solid contributor or minor star but not blow the typical table away--and by typical table, I here assume one that has solid build knowledge but isn't necessarily making all the optimal choices at every decision point for their characters (i.e., not every striker is some version of Firegoat, not every leader is some version of a 'Switch, etc.).

I'm not sure. I've never felt comfortable playing the original GISM at a table - it reflects a lot of ideas I came up with playing a 14 Str/18 Charisma Fighter in LFR and realizing what Lightning Rush would do for such a build.

Easiest route would be not to fully incorporate Hands of the Titan - either by losing fey race or lasting frost. Still way up there on the damage scale - Lasting Frost = 5, Hands of Titan = +Cha or 5, Brutal Barrage = 5 = 15/hit, likely 6 hits, so 90 or so damage on an AP round including chance of crits. Which isn't 150, but...

Just not sure what the angle is to make it use Hand of the Titans and Brutal Barrage and a reasonable optimization that doesn't then break the game.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Totally love these dude!!!!

They are right up my alley

Almost considered building the Vancian one once to show how close one could make it feel within 4e

MwaO

Adventurer
A Sorcerer variation using Paragon Multiclassing. He goes first. Has a lot of needs, but he can be a whoa...Death from Two Sides & Vengeance is Mine both use Ensorcelled Blade. Flame Spiral is of course Flame Spiral. Tactical Orders really sets up a combat. He can heal with Rousing Words. He grants additional damage/temps on someone else using an AP. And did I mention he typically goes first?

This build is in part answering some thoughts on Paragon Multiclassing - it isn't what I'd play probably ever, but it does some weird stuff while being fully functional.

[sblock=Paragon Multiclassing Experiment]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 13
Satyr, Sorcerer, Paragon Multiclassing
Spell Source Option: Storm Magic
Proficiency: Implement Proficiency (Orb)
Luskan (Luskan Benefit)
Theme: Sarifal Feywarden

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 21, INT 12, WIS 9, CHA 21

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 16, INT 11, WIS 8, CHA 16

AC: 27 Fort: 22 Ref: 24 Will: 26
HP: 86 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Stealth +17, Thievery +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Athletics +6, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +8, Heal +5, History +7, Insight +5, Intimidate +11, Nature +9, Perception +5, Religion +7, Streetwise +11

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Sarifal Feywarden Utility: Sarifal's Blessing
Satyr Utility: Lure of Enchantment
Sorcerer Attack 1: Ensorcelled Blade
Sorcerer Attack 1: Grounding Rebuke
Warlord Attack 1: Direct the Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Vengeance is Mine
Sorcerer Utility 2: Dragonflame Mantle
Sorcerer Attack 3: Flame Spiral
Sorcerer Attack 3: Lightning Cuts