Who else is still playing their original campaign?

But I bet those rookie mistakes gave joyful memories that last to this day!

More often than many might realize, doing the wrong thing is more fun than playng "well".

Lanefan

Oh absolutely! And I think I wouldn't be the DM I am today without those early learning opportunities. A friend once told me that "Everyone's first campaign is horrible" and looking back, yea it kind of was. But we had fun and that's what mattered. I'm glad I took the chance to dive in and run a game way back then.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Looking back at the first campaign I ever ran, I'm glad we're not playing it! Lots of rookie mistakes and the less said the better. ;) That being said, I still play with two of my original group and that makes me very happy. :)
We all had rookie mistakes - I even did one intentionally in order to avoid a TPK on night three of what was planned as a long initial module (it ran 42 nights total).

Four of our founders are still with the group (although one is just an occasional player at this point). It is good to have continuity.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I ran one game for 20 years with many players sliding in and out. Sadly it ended with a whimper and now is just memories of a scattered group.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I ran one game for 20 years with many players sliding in and out. Sadly it ended with a whimper and now is just memories of a scattered group.
GameOgre,

That actually provides you with a wonderful opportunity. Find a time this summer when the majority of past players might be around and plan a reunion party/cook-out. After several hours of socializing pass out character sheets and a short 2-3 page recap (have this set 2 to 5 character years after the last game played, to account for any variations in the characters as well as to have in the recap whatever setup you need). Then play out (in 90 to 120 minutes) the epic conclusion of the campaign! Everybody will leave happy and with a great memory.

Note, have a simultaneous alternate activity (probably a movie) for children and significant others at the party not interested in the game itself.

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
But don't worry, after you have many games under your belt and years of honing your craft, you can then have expert mistakes.

Oh yes, I do plenty of those too. I just discovered in a recent game that I had been misinterpreting the spell radius for specific spell for a third-of-a-century.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
GameOgre,

That actually provides you with a wonderful opportunity. Find a time this summer when the majority of past players might be around and plan a reunion party/cook-out. After several hours of socializing pass out character sheets and a short 2-3 page recap (have this set 2 to 5 character years after the last game played, to account for any variations in the characters as well as to have in the recap whatever setup you need). Then play out (in 90 to 120 minutes) the epic conclusion of the campaign! Everybody will leave happy and with a great memory.

Note, have a simultaneous alternate activity (probably a movie) for children and significant others at the party not interested in the game itself.
We do something like that every now and then - we call them "all-star games". Usually an excuse to take some once-prized characters and toss 'em into a drunken meat-grinder, only you don't realize they're dying or dead because you're too busy laughing.

Lan-"two time all-star"-efan

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Yes, though not so frequently fora while. From several times a week and whole weekends to just a few times a month and then with some breaks after people moved it changed to monthly, then 3-4 times a year (for a long weekend) to moving partly to online to moving completely to online and playing (almost) bi-monthly again.Multiple characters, by now many with epic levels. We moved to 3.5 and then to a PF/3.5 mix, and now we added some 5e stuff. Worlds changed as the group is capable of plane shift. With a background tying many chars together (a secret society) it is easy to bring in new chars, and the group's not always equal in levels of course. We are playing very story oriented. Started on Greyhawk. Currently on a home made world.

Other long time group with mostly family and many worlds and chars already lasts longer than 12 years as well - again, with some breaks. I can't imagine keeping up a weekly schedule with so many folks needing to do so many things for this real life thing :)

Myrhdraak

Explorer
We started back in 1985 with two players and then added five more within 3 years. Only one have left. So we are close to the original crew. We played up until 4th edition came out 2008 and then took a break and tried to play vanilla 4th for 7 years playing the H1-E3 campaign. However, for our 30 year celebration 4th Edition was mature enough to allow me to convert the old characters into 4th edition. As 5th edition had just come out I added some of its aspects into the game rules. The party is at 9th level, but I expect faster progression under the new rules.

The game take place in old Mesopotamia, borrowing a lot of material from Al-Quadim, Planescape, and Birthright. I have also started to publish all our old game notes into a continuous story in 3 big books (5-600 pages each) that details all our adventures. Have been quite a fun walk down memory lane.

All_Books.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads