Who else is still playing their original campaign?

Silver Moon

Adventurer
We started back in 1985 with two players and then added five more within 3 years.....The game take place in old Mesopotamia, borrowing a lot of material from Al-Quadim, Planescape, and Birthright. I have also started to publish all our old game notes into a continuous story in 3 big books (5-600 pages each) that details all our adventures. Have been quite a fun walk down memory lane.
Congrats! That sounds like an amazing campaign.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
.....Multiple characters, by now many with epic levels....it is easy to bring in new chars, and the group's not always equal in levels of course. We are playing very story oriented. Started on Greyhawk. Currently on a home made world.
We made a rule years ago to start all new characters at 2nd Level but Zero Experience Points. That way it still takes as long to make it to 3rd level, but they have a better chance of surviving initial encounters.

messy

Explorer
We started back in 1985 with two players and then added five more within 3 years. Only one have left. So we are close to the original crew. We played up until 4th edition came out 2008 and then took a break and tried to play vanilla 4th for 7 years playing the H1-E3 campaign. However, for our 30 year celebration 4th Edition was mature enough to allow me to convert the old characters into 4th edition. As 5th edition had just come out I added some of its aspects into the game rules. The party is at 9th level, but I expect faster progression under the new rules.

The game take place in old Mesopotamia, borrowing a lot of material from Al-Quadim, Planescape, and Birthright. I have also started to publish all our old game notes into a continuous story in 3 big books (5-600 pages each) that details all our adventures. Have been quite a fun walk down memory lane.

View attachment 80820

i'd love to read more about your game. got link?

Myrhdraak

Explorer
I am about to publish my third book that concludes the game up until 2008. I would be happy to share but then you would have to learn Swedish first ... ;-)

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Still playing after all these years! I am curious how many other old-timers there might be out there still with their original campaigns.

We began back in May of 1982 and a still going. We've pretty much stuck with 1st Edition rules (one exception - we use the 2nd Edition Bard class as we found the 1st Edition version unworkable).

Our Sunday night group is now on Module #172 having played 1,307 games thus far. Over the years our regular attendance has ranged as low as four to as high as fourteen, and most players have five to nine playing characters who they alternate.

Well, it depends on what you consider your original campaign. I started my Forgotten Realms campaign shortly after the setting was released. I continued through 3.5e, a smidge into 4e, Next/5e, and now a modified 5e to bring it back to something more closely resembling AD&D/2e. None of the same players, but the campaign stories and characters (who become NPCs) continue from that time.

Some of the characters were from earlier Greyhawk campaigns and transplanted when we shifted to Forgotten Realms.

As far as rules go, back in 1e we incorporated a lot from Dragon magazine, and even third party stuff, so it's always been a modified ruleset, whatever the base edition.

So as far as I'm concerned, it's still the same campaign, with characters, NPCs, and events all part of the current lore (and in some cases actually still in the campaign). The 100 year jump for 4e had a big impact on what we were doing as well, and in the end we decided that when the next group of characters were created we would make the jump to the 5e timetable. But none of the players that started that campaign are still around.

I couldn't begin to tell you how many sessions. Back in the day it was often 2 or 3 sessions a week, and I might actually be doing that again in the near future as a public campaign that is tied into the home campaign. We'll see.

Remove ads