Monk (point buy) Wood Elf or Hill Dwarf

dkmurphy

First Post
Thinking about playing a monk in an upcoming game. Going to go Shadow Monk. Having not played a monk since 3.xE I'm looking forward to it. The wood elf seems like it is one of the better options. Basically with either build I would be dumping STR/CON/INT and maxing out DEX/CON/WIS. Basically this leaves the Hill Dwarf with more hitpoints, the Elf with more DEX and movement.

I'm probably the most interested in optimizing characters in the group, and there are going to be 5-6 players per session, so more bodies to throw around.

I'm wondering if the dwarf will be totally gimped, or would work well. I find that more interesting than the elf. I'm not really interested in playing any humans bc I am one, I think, so that is least interesting to me.

mellored

Legend
Dwarf would be noticeably weaker than half-elf monks, but not unplayable.

Also consider the Aarakocra monks (slow fall is great), and halfling monks (reroll 1's is good).

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Monks want to maximise Dex and Wis as a priority, with Con being a secondary concern. That said, both your choices are playable.
My guide doesn't have Volo's races yet, but still check it out.

Vymair

First Post
My $0.02 is that Wood Elf is the more optimized pick (Wis, Dex and Speed), but Hill Dwarf give you Wis and Con with a hit point buff but comes with a speed hit. It's not a terrible choice and would be an interesting RP opportunity.

The speed hit can be neglected. A very unorthodox choice but not a bad one. With the possible starting dex of 14 and wis of 16 and con 16 i guess that would leave you with 20 in dex and wis at level 20. Definitely not bad at all.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Elves give you elf weapon training for bows as monk have poor ranged options.

Be careful with Shadow step, you cant be in normal light to start, so daylight and bright light cuts this ability and it also means you have to be away from your party as one of them will have a light. Staying in dim light will cut into your wisdom perception checks, so you will miss stuff while exploring if you try to stay in dim light all the time.

Vulf

First Post
Lizard Folk monks

Better Unarmed damage to start, and can choose for their unarmed attacks to be either piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning.

And you can eat prisoners.

dkmurphy

First Post
Lizard Folk monks

Better Unarmed damage to start, and can choose for their unarmed attacks to be either piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning.

And you can eat prisoners.

Don't piss off the Lizard Man monk for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

I think I am leaning towards the Hill Dwarf. All I used to do in prior editions was play elves, I think I am just tired of them. Starting scores point buy if I did the math right

S 10
D 14
C 16
I 10
W 16
Ch 8

I'm not too concerned with the Shadow Step ability and its usefulness. I played a shadow mage for a long time in the Skills/Power days of 2e. Lots of ways to manipulate lighting conditions, and RAW, it is pretty easy to pull off. I'm not too concerned about ranged options, there are 7 PC's in the group, so I don't have to totally optimize the character, and there are others who are focusing on ranged combat, I'm fine with them being able to shine in that area. I'm the only one in the group who really seems into optimizing characters. I can't not do it, and I offer to help anyone else who wants to tweak their characters, but more often than not they are happy playing with something that is not all that optimized. The DM is sticking fairly close to AL rules for character gen, so I can always rebuild the char or tweak it before 5th level in any case.

Vulf

First Post
You could always take a level or 3 of Rogue for some extra skills, dash and hide without spending KI, and a little extra damage when using a shortsword as a monk weapon. 5 levels for the reaction to take half damage makes you reasonably tanky.

Remove ads