Ranger - MultiClass options

I'm playing a game with a series of rotating players, meaning we could have a full group of melee to a full group of range and anything in between.

We rolled stats for this game and I decided to go Wood Elf Ranger.

My Stats are:

Str: 10
Con: 16
Dex: 18(+2 Wood Elf)
Int: 14
Wis: 18(+1 Wood Elf)
Cha: 10

My character hit level two and took archer fighting style, which I enjoy.

My questions are the following:

After level 5, what is the best way to make my melee options stronger?
What Spells to take for the first few levels?

Note: I was thinking dipping 1-3 levels monk could be huge for this character, as he has 18 dex and 18 wisdom. And I'm planning on bumping dex to 20 at level 4.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I can see the appeal of dipping into Monk, but I wouldn't go that route unless you had a compelling RP reason to do it. Yes, you can boost your AC by 2 points so you do get a Defensive benefit...but if you are concerned about that I would recommend taking a few levels of Fighter and take the Defensive Fighting Style. That way you can get +1 AC while wearing your Studded Leather, but you can also get Action Surge. And if you go to Fighter 3 you can get Battlemaster which lets you add in Precision if you take the Sharpshooter Feat.

I would more likely recommend looking at the Rogue class. Cunning Action is a great mobility tool that can help you get in and out of melee each round. Sneak Attack will let you pretty much add 1d6 damage per round every other level, so you can dip in and out as needed.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Well what Archetype are you planning on taking, and what type of campaign are you in?
Hunter can go to 11 easily if your DM throws multiple enemies at you per encounter. Otherwise have you considered Rogue?

Well what Archetype are you planning on taking, and what type of campaign are you in?
Hunter can go to 11 easily if your DM throws multiple enemies at you per encounter. Otherwise have you considered Rogue?

Hunter Archetype, and I'm thinking about taking Horde breaker.

Per your Rogue question, I think I'm leaning more toward a "tankier" character if he goes into melee. So I think fighter or Monk fit a little better, but Rogue is defiantly an option.(I love expertise)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Horde Breaker is great. Personally, I feel you should never turn down extra attacks for no cost, no matter how conditional. Within reason.

Oh and the campaign, it's basically there is a central town in a huge landscape...we take jobs from the "quest Board" and go attempt them.

The reason I need my good at melee, as well as range, is because the group make-up can change drastically.(And I tend to lean toward the safer side that does slightly less damage, but has more survivability)

WarpedAcorn

First Post
The reason I need my good at melee, as well as range, is because the group make-up can change drastically.(And I tend to lean toward the safer side that does slightly less damage, but has more survivability)

Barbarian is another idea. You don't have the Str requirement, but you could ask the DM to make an exception and he might let it fly. Similar to Monk you could get some extra AC (1 less due to your Con score), plus Raging gives you Resistance to just about everything which can help you be tankier. I think you would lose out on Hunter's Mark since its Concentration, but the trade-off might be OK.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just a question - are you playing the PHB Ranger or the UA Revised Ranger?

Matters for the damage you are doing. The Revised Ranger gets a favored enemy bonus that goes well with more attacks (as does Hunter's Mark), which the monk can give with flurry of blows. Though at that point ranger 6 increases the bonus from +2 to +4 and gives another category.

On the other hand, Mike Mearls has mentioned that the UA playtests happen before the phase of development where they get balanced for multiclass, and if you are using the Revised Ranger you may want to check with your DM if it's okay at all.

Either way, Fighter has a lot to offer, including subclasses. BM is a bit front-loaded and a 3 level dip can give you action surge, another fighting style, second wind, and four superiority dice.

Remove ads