Pathfinder 1E House rules, Player questions, and DM answers.

[DND][PF]So one of my new players asked a question that made me think. he asked " Will you be awarding bonus feats?" i asked "what do you mean? You get one every odd lvl already." he said in other campaigns he has been in the GM will put in "Stones of power" in loot from time to time and when crushed you get a bonus feat. So that gave me a idea and I want to know what yall think.
Im playing with this idea about putting in these stones of power but also Gems of power. The stones will give you a ability point and the Gems will give you a feat. but the Gems will have to be united and the number of said united Gems is the number of players in the party. The gems will be differnt shapes that portray different classes so for example the cleric will need to have the cleric gem for it to work. But every player has to have a gem before they can unit them and get said bonus feat. Thoughts on the idea.
[/PF][/DND]:n::conversion:

So one of my new players asked a question that made me think. he asked " Will you be awarding bonus feats?" i asked "what do you mean? You get one every odd lvl already." he said in other campaigns he has been in the GM will put in "Stones of power" in loot from time to time and when crushed you get a bonus feat. So that gave me a idea and I want to know what yall think.
Im playing with this idea about putting in these stones of power but also Gems of power. The stones will give you a ability point and the Gems will give you a feat. but the Gems will have to be united and the number of said united Gems is the number of players in the party. The gems will be differnt shapes that portray different classes so for example the cleric will need to have the cleric gem for it to work. But every player has to have a gem before they can unit them and get said bonus feat. Thoughts on the idea.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
I agree with KahlessNestor, if the group has to work together, give them teamwork feats and/or other all around useful feats (Improved Initiative, Deflect Arrows, Side Step, Volley Fire)
I'd at put a cap on how much a single stat can be boosted by the stones. A max of +5 seem reasonable to me.

If I were to implement feats gems in a game of mine, I would do the following:
[1] Each gem has a specific feat bound to it. Unlocking a gem gives the feat to the character(s) and ignores any prerequisite required; however, if the feat requires the uses of another feat, class feature, etc to work, the character is out of luck until he/she meets the requirement. For example, Blinding Sneak Attack.

[2] For each step up a feat chain, the gem is broken into that many fragments. For example, Cloak and Dagger Style has 4 feats as prerequisites and would be in 5 pieces.

[3] Each gem has a price/conditions to unlock. Condition/price I would use could include: a specific location (like Stonehenge); a generic location (any field of lavender or anywhere on Mt Doom); a specific time of day and/or season; a "worthless" unique item (such as a freshly picked flower or the living breath of a dog); an expensive unique item(s) (I would charge at least 1000 gp per fragment); a set amount of time spent (like the 8 hour ritual to replace a wizards famliar); ability damage to the receiving character(s); expending spell slots for the day.

[4] Each gem can be researched. Knowledge Arcana, Histroy, Religion, Planes, or Local can be used. Depending upon the feat inside would determine what the base DC is set to. I'd probably go with something like 15+(number of fragments*2)-number of fragments in possession. Success provides the total number of conditions/price to pay in addition to clues on how to unlock the gem, where to find other fragments should they exist, and/or what feat is bound to the gem. For every 5 beyond the DC, they get another piece of information needed. Failure requires a level up or visiting a new source of knowledge (like a mage's library, a major church, or an ancient dragon).

[5] The cost to unlock a gems can be paid by each character wanting access to the feat at the time of its unlocking. If a player can not pay part of the price (needing to expend spell slots and not a caster) then they cannot participate in the unlocking of the gem. Though in such an instance, I'd make sure the feat in question would only be desirable by caster's anyway.

[6] Tell the players the generic lore of the gems. Each gem is a small portion of crystallized essence of a creature or person. While this crystallization does occur naturally (.001% on a kill) the majority of gems were made in an age since lost to time. No one knows how they were made and most sane people hope the secrets remain lost.

Remove ads