What is the best way to support EN World - subscription or Patreon?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I use Patreon a lot to support content creatures, including EN5ider. I would be happy to support the EN World forum, but I'm not really sure what is the best way to do it--I mean from a selfish perspective. I'm sure EN World could care less how they get my money.

With the subscription, I understand the copper level. You get to personalize your profile. I don't care so much about that, but it seems like an easy way to support the site and get a little acknowledgement in return.

I don't really understand the silver level. I can award more XP? What is the advantage of that? The only plus that I see to this is that it gives those who pay more sway to award and encourage the kinds of discussion and posts that they care about.

Patreon is more confusing. It does give a $1 per month option, which is cheaper than a Copper subscription, but you don't get to personalize your profile. You do get "personal message access." But I already can send private messages with my free account, so I assume "personal message access" is something else. What is it?

At higher levels, you get access to four exclusive patron-only posts. Are there any examples?

Compared to EN World's wonderful EN5ider, the EN World Patreon lacks luster. Considering the number of visitors EN World gets, they should be able to get more than 49 supporters on Patreon. But it isn't surprising that they don't when they have a separate subscription mechanism that competes with Patreon and don't offer to entice potential supporters.

Why not merge the two? Let me support on Patreon for $3-$5 a month and get the custom profile as well as the four extra articles? But, to be honest, I think $60 a year, even $36 a year is more than the vast majority of visitors would want to pay to support a forum like this. I would think that $1 a month for custom profile and some extra articles would generate more revenue and get them closer to their goal of $750/month. It is easier for people to make an impulse donation of $12 or a recurring $1 a month payment.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's no physical way to merge the two. Someone would have to take each Patreon subscription and manually set up a forum subscription for it. It would be a logistical nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads