What kinds of things would you expect to find in a tomb of a lizardman king?

der_kluge

Adventurer
So, I'm working on this massively complex, multi-leveled tomb of a long-deceased lizardman king. In fact, the whole tribe is extinct (We're talking thousands of years here).

The top of the tomb is above ground, and is reminiscent of the style of a Mayan temple, covered in vines, and all that.

There are 3 large levels below ground, culminating in the lizardman's tomb, with a vault (guarded by a difficult puzzle).

So far, some of the rooms I have are:
mass grave rooms - full of piles of bones, with wraiths, and other incorporeal creatures haunting these rooms
sarcophagi rooms - full of mummies that attack once you come near their tomb.
a chapel room - with a pool of mercury, a statue of the deceased king, and an alter upon a dais
a museum - replicas and/or skeletons of the some of the beasts the king slayed while he was alive. And maybe some illusions of him in famous scenes from the past.

There is a flooded section of the dungeon with a library (all the books crumble when touched, unless magically preserved in some way), and there is another sarcophagus room with water mummies (mummy of the deep from ToH)

Other ideas:
a priests' chambers
sacrificial alter
embalming chamber

The thing is, these rooms are like 90' square, (due to my layout), so I'm having a hard time thinking about how I could fill a 90' square room with an embalming chamber, for example, since it's just a table and a set of tools, basically. Unless I include numerous tables to allow for a number of embalmings to occur at the same time. I wouldn't need more than a handful though. So, that still leaves a lot space.

Not sure what to put in a priest's chamber, either. I was thinking I could combine the sacrificial alter with the priest's chamber, but still not sure what to put in it.

Of course, any other ideas for rooms are most welcome.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
The embalming room could be enlarged by, as you suggest, having multiple embalming slabs. What about urns for the internal organs? While it's more Egyptian in tone, it may still be appropriate.

For the sake of flavour, I would have the mummies wrapped in leaves and mud. This may make them less susceptible to fire (perhaps fire resistance 10) but cold may have a devastating effect (reduces armour class, reduces or negates damage reduction for a period of time, slow or paralysis... although, being undead, not paralysis in the traditional sense). Imagine a room full of leaves from jungle plants and the players going, "Huh"?

I think baths for the king and his concubines would also be appropriate, even if they're for their use in the afterlife.

As for your museum, don't forget a display of exotic weapons... mercurial trident, anyone? :)

Cheers
D

der_kluge

Adventurer
Hey, that's not bad. A bathhouse, complete with heated, running water. Boy, won't that throw the players for a loop. "It's obviously a trap, watch out!"

Nice.

Anyone got anything else?

GMVictory

Explorer
A room of nests with fake eggs representing the number of spawn of the lizard king. A sigil or marking is on the bottom of each egg, which are (now) the marks of different tribes of lizardmen.

Piles of lizardman skins from previous sheddings/moltings.

A larder with the remains of lizardman delicacies: rats of varying sizes, snakes, fish, bird eggs (don't break them!) , etc

The remains of tomb robbers from a previous attempt. The PCs have nothing to worry about because the trap that killed them was sprung (poison gas) and does not reset. They just look dead with no marks on them.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Dipping pond
Harem (it is good to be king)
Slave quarters
Fighting Pit
Pets (what would a lizardman king have for a pet?)
Hatching room
Young lizard room (think jungle gym)
Archive (history of the lizardmen, art, written, something)

der_kluge

Adventurer
Hmm, they could have eggs of unborn lizardfolk, in a time stasis. To be placed there until they could rise again in power, waiting for something to trigger the event.

That's certainly interesting.

Thanks!

GMVictory

Explorer
die_kluge said:
Hmm, they could have eggs of unborn lizardfolk, in a time stasis. To be placed there until they could rise again in power, waiting for something to trigger the event.

Or it's too cool/cold for the eggs to hatch in the tomb. PCs take the eggs out and they start warming up. Eventually hatching while PCs sleep and escaping into the jungle of course. Eating things, growing quickly, and eventually hunting PCs/NPCs as food too. Some of them head back to the tomb to get more of the eggs and bring them to the surface where they can warm and hatch, adding to their ranks...

Bad_English

First Post
Hey hows about using that little trap that was actually used in a Mayan Temple Burial of a preist king which had this thick coating of a rusty red powder over the entire burial. Which through the following of proper preceedures was analized and found to be a highly toxic Mecury Oxide. Hmmm Spores sound great.
PEACE

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Being cold blooded there might be a chanber that has geothermaly warmed stones to lounge on.

There should be vegitation all over. for whenever they get hungry and nothing walks past to eat them.

Hey! How about a devolved for of halfling or human or some such that has survived down there for centuries. Originaly they were kept for food like we breed cattle. they would be canibalistic and very different looking from a normal member of thier race but just think of the looks of horror when the party finds out the "pigmies" are hobbits. Thier society would be very primative and there could be oozes or slimes that they worship. Maybe even an intelligent one. (don't you love templates.)
Or they worship the spectre of the Lizard king himself.

Last edited:

Remove ads