Spoiler tags

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Do we have working spoiler tags here at the moment?

I was looking at some older threads and noticed that the old tags all seem to be broken.

This is a spoiler.

[sblock]This is also a spoiler.[/sblock]

Ah. The [sblock] at least is working.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
One tag works on browsers, but not the app (tapatalk).
The other tag works on the app, but not desktop.

Previously this wasn't much of a problem, but I think the number of users using the ENWorld app has skyrocketed.

Solution: always use both tags. It's the only way to actually spoiler-protect your text.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The
one (the one which blacks out text unless you mouseover it) doesn't work on touchscreen devices, as they have no mouseover function. That's why mouseover spoilers are generally discouraged these days.

CapnZapp

Legend
The spoiler one (the one which blacks out text unless you mouseover it) doesn't work on touchscreen devices, as they have no mouseover function. That's why mouseover spoilers are generally discouraged these days.
Could you explain your point a bit more, Morrus, especially since your post does not appear to line up with my own conclusion ("use both")?

PS Reading this thread using your app. Of the two tags in the first post, sblock does nothing, while spoiler results in a big functional button (on my smartphone) I can touch to reveal spoilers.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Could you explain your point a bit more, Morrus, especially since your post does not appear to line up with my own conclusion ("use both")?

PS Reading this thread using your app. Of the two tags in the first post, sblock does nothing, while spoiler results in a big functional button (on my smartphone) I can touch to reveal spoilers.

Whichever one is the blackout one doesn’t work. The one which does the spoiler button does. Can’t remember which is which offhand.

CapnZapp

Legend
Whichever one is the blackout one doesn’t work. The one which does the spoiler button does. Can’t remember which is which offhand.
Are we talking about the same thing?

One tag works on desktop, and the other in the app.

There is no single tag that works both on desktop and app.

Just to be on the same page here, could you confirm that you see this too?

Now, perhaps what you're talking about is instead that the tag that works on the app ruins the mobile browser experience somehow?

(I haven't visited the site using a mobile browser since I found the EN World app, so that is a guess)

In that case, if I understand you correctly, there is *no* tag (or combination of tags) that can be recommended, that works on all platforms?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Goodness knows. I couldn’t make head nor tails of that!

We only support one type of spoiler tag

The thing that makes a blacked out mouseover spoiler is not active on EN World.

The thing which makes a button which opens a box with spoilers in it is active.

I can’t recall offhand which tag it is. Either sblock or spoiler. One is active the other is not.

CapnZapp

Legend
No, one works on desktop browsers but not in the app.

The other works in the app but not on desktop browsers.

It sounds like recommending everybody to use both tags is the way to go.

CapnZapp

Legend
Adding to say I just checked. Here in the app the spoiler tag is functional while sblock does nothing (per the first post).

Edit: the EN World app, that is. (Am I right to assume this is really a specialized Tapatalk app?)

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
And using the browser sblock works while spoiler does nothing. (I have Samsung, Chrome and Firefox on my phone)

Mind you, using the mobile skin the button that appears isn't working properly.

Only if I disable that / request the desktop version does it become functional, revealing the spoiler text when touched.

Hope that helps, Morrus!

Remove ads