Legal: what kind of deal would our hero want from the FBI?

Janx

Hero

That's another great find. Thanks Tom!.

My "lawyer" would argue that it wasn't a breach of CFAA, as the hero was an employee who's job it was to install and trouble-shoot networks and given a laptop with tracing tools for the purpose of trouble-shooting said network.

But it might make some interesting legal/technobable dialog as somebody doesn't understand all that might try to make it a legal issue.

My novel has a few bits of technical stuff like this, just to show the characters "know their stuff"

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Your hero might ask the FBI for an older version* of "plead the Fifth". I know in hindsight that I did illegal acts; I was a small player caught in somebody else's web so they would not be responsible for the villainy they had unleashed and perpetrated. I'll help you get to him if you leave me be.

Your hero might be able to help via words, or via actions - collect evidence, or even hunt down the Evil Guy for the FBI, who will unexpectedly(?) swoop in and arrest him to "protect" him from the vengeful hero.

* The newer version is "yeah I did stuff just to tick you politicians off, but your constituents' complaints of their ill-treatment at my hands aren't proof of anything, and you don't have the spine to find other sources of evidence that would incriminate me - btw my friends are destroying those other sources as we speak".

Janx

Hero
Your hero might ask the FBI for an older version* of "plead the Fifth". I know in hindsight that I did illegal acts; I was a small player caught in somebody else's web so they would not be responsible for the villainy they had unleashed and perpetrated. I'll help you get to him if you leave me be.

Your hero might be able to help via words, or via actions - collect evidence, or even hunt down the Evil Guy for the FBI, who will unexpectedly(?) swoop in and arrest him to "protect" him from the vengeful hero.

* The newer version is "yeah I did stuff just to tick you politicians off, but your constituents' complaints of their ill-treatment at my hands aren't proof of anything, and you don't have the spine to find other sources of evidence that would incriminate me - btw my friends are destroying those other sources as we speak".

yeah, neither of those sound like my hero...

Remove ads