I'm sick of Kickstarters

Nobody can solve shipping costs. Those are set by postal services.

I'll admit - Evil Hat did something interesting for their Dresden Files Co-operative card game. Interspersed with normal stretch goals, they included "1 dollar off shipping" - and by the time the kickstarter were done, it came out to free shipping. Admittedly more fitting for a card game with limited design add-on than an RPG book (especially one that has PDF options), but it was really cool.

Last edited:

76512390ag12

First Post
Nobody can solve shipping costs. Those are set by postal services.
Yes they can. Logistics can be addressed. For example, move to print on demand locally to consumers, or bundle all of a country's shipments in a big crate and ship to a local distribution agent.

Posted by C4-D4RS on the MetroLiberal HoloNet

ccs

41st lv DM
Yes they can. Logistics can be addressed. For example, move to print on demand locally to consumers, or bundle all of a country's shipments in a big crate and ship to a local distribution agent.

The point was somebody is paying for shipping.
Just a matter of who & how much....
You factor shipping into the price & people ** that your prices are too high. You tell them it'll cost x to ship? They'll ** that you're not giving them free shipping.
You actually give free shipping & you lose $, making the whole endeavor pointless....
You don't want to pay to get your stuff? Then don't order it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

In all likelihood, those options will cost more or less the same, particularly for a one and done operation.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

Cruxador

First Post
I miss the old days where books just came out, you could buy them on a shelf, or even Amazon. Now it seems that there is this labyrinthine process where you have to shell out a ton of money to get a book or, once it is released, hope you can find a copy somewhere, somehow.

And yes, I know I sound like "Old man yells at cloud." And yes, I know there are many positives that out-weigh the negatives. It may even be that the negatives are all in my head, or so minor to be nothing more than the bio-chemical gurglings of an aging Gen X brain. But it is how I feel and for some reason I felt the need to express it, so there you have it.

And don't get me started on chip readers...

Now all that said, if we want to have a serious conversation from this, my question would be: what next? Will the kickstarter bubble burst or is this simply how things are done now and for the foreseeable future? Or will there be another approach on the near horizon?
The kickstarter situation, like DriveThruRPG, isn't really a bubble - it's a market that simply wasn't viable before this infrastructure existed. Games are still made that show up on the shelves of your game store, and aside from the d20 era bubble (which was clearly a real bubble, as it popped) there hasn't really ever been greater variety than there is now, even just looking at that situation.

bkwrm79

Villager
You don't want to pay to get your stuff? Then don't order it.

Since I don't want to pay an unknown amount to get my stuff, I don't order it.

Whether they can find cheaper ways to ship stuff or not, figuring out those costs in advance doesn't seem like too much to ask.

But yeah, between kickstarter and drivethru, I miss books being on Amazon and/or store shelves.

I love kickstarters and I pay heaps for postage (NZ); the price worth paying living in the world's least corrupt and most prosperous country; that's very happy and safe. Our rugby team's the best too ;)

I really enjoy seeing the stretch goals rack up, and those that I back that may well not be the most reliable, I pretty much forget about until it turns up at my door and/or in my inbox. I treat kickstarters like investing in the stock market 'don't invest anything you can't afford to lose'.

Remove ads