5E UA and depth of complexity - Page 14
Closed Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 179
  1. #131
    Member
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,047
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Elfcrusher


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post

    The system doesn't change. What is increasingly obvious, however, is that we need an alternative Monster Manual for power users.

    (And for the love of Vecna, if your trigger response is "I don't have any problem with the MM" you don't have to purchase this product)
    A Lethal Monster Manual I would like to see. Far more than "more rules".
    XP CapnZapp gave XP for this post

  2. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
    The problem for me and my players is that the problem space just isn't large enough.

    Sure there are more dials we haven't turned yet. Problem is, in most cases we've already concluded they're not competitive.
    Now, when you say 'competitive', what do you actually mean?
    What are they competing against and where have you set the bar that you define what is competitive, and what isn't by?

    Barbarian: our first Barbarian was a Totem barb. I haven't seen any other subclass that motivates us to return to that class.
    Bard: very squishy. The Inspiration die is almost game-breakingly good, but it's no fun to bring along a "super die" the others have to constantly protect.
    Cleric: we've used Light and Tempest to good effect. Problem is, now we're running out of first-tier results. Also, very few cleric-specific feats and no good multiclassing makes Cleric a done deal, a problem solved.
    Fighter: There are really only two options: Battlemaster with Precision maneuvers, and Eldritch Knight with Shields. I'm sure a case can be made for a few more builds, but then again I consider Fighter one of the most successful classes of all of 5E. The multiclassing potential is wonderful; many feats are tailor-made for fighters.
    Valor Bards and Blade Warlocks: the problem is that compared to real martials, you're simply way too squishy. Besides, you will never use your weapons, since your spells will outcompete weapon usage every time.

    ...and so on, you get my point.

    Adding more subclasses might be good for players looking for a specific archetype, but almost none of them are interesting in the least from a charbuild perspective.
    As in building on top of an existing character? (Which subclasses will generally be less useful for). Or building new characters? (Which they work pretty well for.)

    That's why I started this thread. To highlight the fact that adding MORE options (like UA is currently doing) does nothing for existing characters.
    Could lead to more problems though. From what I can tell, you give the impression that you and the rest of your party is running rings around your DM due to a hefty system mastery disparity. More options for characters is only going to have the potential for exacerbating the situation to an even worse extent.

    So, yes, 5E seems simple on the verge of going played-out in its third year already, and that's way too soon IMO. But adding breadth alone won't cut it. Some of us crave more depth
    If your group feels that they've played-out 5e, try something different: a campaign with a very different style, randomly assigned pregenerated characters, a weird setting, a different DM. Go nuts. After the break, you may feel more enthusiastic again.
    XP AaronOfBarbaria, Giltonio_Santos gave XP for this post

  3. #133
    Member
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,132
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    KickstarterD&DForgotten RealmsGoodman GamesEN World EN5iderGygax Memorial FundThe Perturbed Dragon

    Block Corpsetaker


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Kobold View Post

    Could lead to more problems though. From what I can tell, you give the impression that you and the rest of your party is running rings around your DM due to a hefty system mastery disparity. More options for characters is only going to have the potential for exacerbating the situation to an even worse extent.
    This is just more of that white room talk. Here is the thing that you don't seem to mention. Optional rules don't come into your games unless you bring them. It's called taking control of the game as a DM and lay down the fact about what is in your game and what isn't. I think it's time people broke away from the assumption that ABC is in games by default and actually start asking what is in the game before the game even starts.

    Some people like to walk into an ice cream shop and have 5 flavours to choose from. Some people like to 15 flavours to choose from. Which option do you think covers the situation the best? The answer is 15 flavours because the 5 flavour people will still have their 5 flavours and so will the 15.
    XP CapnZapp gave XP for this post

  4. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsetaker View Post

    Some people like to walk into an ice cream shop and have 5 flavours to choose from. Some people like to 15 flavours to choose from. Which option do you think covers the situation the best? The answer is 15 flavours because the 5 flavour people will still have their 5 flavours and so will the 15.
    Did you totally ignore my reply to you earlier on this? Coming up with 10 extra flavors takes a lot of time and money to make them decent, and may not be worth it if only 10% of your customers want anything beyond the 5. And that's even ignoring the fact that the business scope is to "keep it simple", which 5e clearly is, or ignoring that in your analogy, they said "here are our 5 flavors most everyone wants and is satisfied with, and here are the ingredients for you to make different flavors if you are one of those few who want something different. In fact, we'll even give your flavor shelf space for everyone else to try if they want, and you can even keep half of the profit!."
    XP Gardens & Goblins gave XP for this post

  5. #135
    Member
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,132
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    KickstarterD&DForgotten RealmsGoodman GamesEN World EN5iderGygax Memorial FundThe Perturbed Dragon

    Block Corpsetaker


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by pming View Post
    Hiya!



    Then make it yourself for those that want it and leave the game crunch-light for those who don't.

    Bye-ya!

    ^_^

    Paul L. Ming
    Sorry but that is a cop out answer. I'm not a game designer and I don't have a lot of time to create my own stuff. How about give an actual legitimate reason why you can't stick with the options you want and let me have more options that I can choose from. So because you don't like a certain flavour that means I can't have it?
    XP CapnZapp gave XP for this post

  6. #136
    Member
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,132
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    KickstarterD&DForgotten RealmsGoodman GamesEN World EN5iderGygax Memorial FundThe Perturbed Dragon

    Block Corpsetaker


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrosanct View Post
    Did you totally ignore my reply to you earlier on this? Coming up with 10 extra flavors takes a lot of time and money to make them decent, and may not be worth it if only 10% of your customers want anything beyond the 5. And that's even ignoring the fact that the business scope is to "keep it simple", which 5e clearly is, or ignoring that in your analogy, they said "here are our 5 flavors most everyone wants and is satisfied with, and here are the ingredients for you to make different flavors if you are one of those few who want something different. In fact, we'll even give your flavor shelf space for everyone else to try if they want, and you can even keep half of the profit!."
    To be honest I ignore most of your comments because it's really just a waste of time with you.

  7. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsetaker View Post
    To be honest I ignore most of your comments because it's really just a waste of time with you.
    Ok, setting aside the massive irony for a moment....


    I have twice now directly addressed exactly why you won't see what you are wanting to see. So maybe you just might want to actually read them and educate yourself on how a business works. For the record, my day job is in project management, so I'm not exactly talking out of my bum here on this topic.

    Or you can refuse and choose to remain ignorant on the topic. Your choice, but don't expect anyone to be swayed to your argument if you do so.

    Sorry but that is a cop out answer. I'm not a game designer and I don't have a lot of time to create my own stuff. How about give an actual legitimate reason why you can't stick with the options you want and let me have more options that I can choose from. So because you don't like a certain flavour that means I can't have it?
    I've given you a legitimate answer that happens in real life twice now.

    Edit* Oh, and BTW, while my day job is project management, I'm also a game designer on top of that as my hobby (even winning awards). I am 100% certain that every other game designer will back me up when I say that game design takes a lot of effort and time and money to make something worth it's while.

  8. #138
    Member
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of the Dead
    Posts
    1,132
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    KickstarterD&DForgotten RealmsGoodman GamesEN World EN5iderGygax Memorial FundThe Perturbed Dragon

    Block Corpsetaker


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post

    Conversely, if what you want is rules-lite D&D, and WotC puts out a book stuffed with heavy rules, all you have to do is not buy it.
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I know people who just stick with the basic rules set and they don't complain about there being a PHB and DMG.
    XP Tony Vargas, CapnZapp gave XP for this post

  9. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsetaker View Post
    This is just more of that white room talk.
    I'm fairly sure that CapnZapp's group is using Feats and a couple of other optional systems. Because he has told us. Its hardly a 'white room', when we have been given specific information on the situation.

    Here is the thing that you don't seem to mention. Optional rules don't come into your games unless you bring them. It's called taking control of the game as a DM and lay down the fact about what is in your game and what isn't. I think it's time people broke away from the assumption that ABC is in games by default and actually start asking what is in the game before the game even starts.
    Of course I didn't mention it. I'm trying to give practical advice for an ongoing game and telling someone "Well you should have thought of that before you started." isn't very constructive I feel.

    Some people like to walk into an ice cream shop and have 5 flavours to choose from. Some people like to 15 flavours to choose from. Which option do you think covers the situation the best? The answer is 15 flavours because the 5 flavour people will still have their 5 flavours and so will the 15.
    However here we have a situation where the DM's lack of ability to handle the current optional rules in the hands of heavy optimisers is causing the issue. Giving the optimisers more scope to min-max their power even further is not going to relieve that situation I believe.

  10. #140
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    2,833
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block AaronOfBarbaria


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsetaker View Post
    Sorry but that is a cop out answer. I'm not a game designer... So because you don't like a certain flavour that means I can't have it?
    Sometimes, not all the times of course, people asking for something to be done for them because they aren't a game designer, sounds a lot like the following, to use the ice cream analogy:

    Customer A: "I want Neapolitan ice cream. Why does this shop refuse to sell it to me?"
    Customer B: "Um... they've got vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry, why not just put those together in a bowl?
    Customer A: "I'm not an ice cream maker, I don't have time for that. Why won't you let me get the flavor I like and just not eat it if you don't like it?"

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Depth of Felk Mor?
    By Zardnaar in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Saturday, 13th February, 2016, 09:27 PM
  2. [ุone Games] Just Add depth!
    By Master01 in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Wednesday, 21st June, 2006, 09:21 AM
  3. An in depth look at Dragonmarks
    By Whisper72 in forum Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Friday, 23rd July, 2004, 11:11 PM
  4. In depth character building
    By Ferret in forum Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Saturday, 25th May, 2002, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •