D&D 5E UA and depth of complexity

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnZapp

Legend
Hiya!

Then make it yourself for those that want it and leave the game crunch-light for those who don't.

Bye-ya!

^_^

Paul L. Ming
No, you don't get to have the opinion "to get what I want I need to actively deny others what they want - I'm not satisfied merely by my personal D&D collection being crunch-light, I need the game to actively not cater to other parts of the customer base, only to people like me".

Not without being called out on it for its unreasonable and uncharitable qualities, at least.

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't know how easy you think game design is - I know I /like/ tinkering and have been doing so almost as long as I've been gaming, but I don't kid myself I'm that good at it - or how much time you think people have, or how much duplication of effort to achieve inconsistent results it takes for you to notice the inefficiency, but let's just consider the relative ease and convenience of the two 'just' options here.
It's alright Tony.

When I read about people offering "just do it yourself" it's most often merely a thinly veiled attempt to dismiss and denigrate valid concerns. Since they never have the intention of doing any game design themselves, they don't have to care about grossly underestimating the complexity and difficulty level - the whole point is to sound reasonable while actually just shooting down ideas they themselves dislike without having to say just that.

CapnZapp

Legend
Now, when you say 'competitive', what do you actually mean?
What are they competing against and where have you set the bar that you define what is competitive, and what isn't by?
I'm not entirely sure this is fair to you.... but my honest reflex response is "if he needs to ask, he must have missed the entire point of the discussion".

(Please feel free to clarify your question if I misunderstood)

As in building on top of an existing character? (Which subclasses will generally be less useful for). Or building new characters? (Which they work pretty well for.)
If I've already played a Totem Bear Barbarian, it is much less tempting to play a Berserk Barbarian, since it is so obviously inferior in every (mechanical) way (including hogging the bonus action I'd much rather use for Polearm Mastery or some such).

CapnZapp

Legend
Could lead to more problems though.
Yes, but that's a poor excuse for not even trying :)

From what I can tell, you give the impression that you and the rest of your party is running rings around your DM due to a hefty system mastery disparity. More options for characters is only going to have the potential for exacerbating the situation to an even worse extent.
I might have been unclear - I am the DM :) (but I'm not solely looking at this from a DM's POV obviously, since my concern concerns people in the position of playing their third or fourth character)

CapnZapp

Legend
I have twice now directly addressed exactly why you won't see what you are wanting to see. So maybe you just might want to actually read them and educate yourself on how a business works.
Perhaps I need to tell you how a forum works.

If I start a thread asking people for their ideas on "depth on complexity" rules additions, having a Sacrosanct derail the topic by posting Top Three Reasons This Won't Happen (or some such) is wholly unwelcome, and I politely ask you to go away. Perhaps start a new thread?

G

Guest 6801328

No, you don't get to have the opinion "to get what I want I need to actively deny others what they want - I'm not satisfied merely by my personal D&D collection being crunch-light, I need the game to actively not cater to other parts of the customer base, only to people like me".

Not without being called out on it for its unreasonable and uncharitable qualities, at least.

You and others keep repeating this assertion, but without ever acknowledging that they (we) do have concerns that changes would affect our games. That "just don't use the parts you don't like" isn't a solution for us that we like. No matter how many times we explain our concerns, you ignore or dismiss them and insist we are just being selfish.

Ironically, your next post talks about
thinly veiled attempt to dismiss and denigrate valid concerns.
and
the whole point is to sound reasonable while actually just shooting down ideas they themselves dislike without having to say just that.

Hmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:

Corpsetaker

First Post
[MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] has stated that their market research showed that, and they seem extremely happy with the results. The burden of proof that they are wrong, to the tune of 100,000 buyers per book, is on you.

No he didn't and the proof of burden is on you since you made the claim. I remember the surveys and all they talked about was a smaller release schedule which can be anything when you are starting from the assumptions of the 3rd and 4th edition releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads