unbalanced

largeXgoat

First Post
well i just stared a new game im a pc in the party. at first lvl on a ship i snuck out of working in the kitchen to do some thieving (i've never played a rouge before so i was kind of interested in picking the rich persons lock and taking a look in his room) so i get in fine no traps because its on a boat, i go and pick his lock and find some ok silk nuthing for a peasent though, i unrap it and inside is a nice 16k gem, a 70gp gems and a 2gp (wow 2 gps).
so we get off the ship im not wanting to keep the thing i want to get suplies. i find a mage (dont know what lvl) i provide him with the gems he gives me a bag of holding, mithril chain shirt, i had a +1 rapier he made it +2 and keen, i also got +4 gloves of dex, i also have a +1 ring of protection and a +1 amulet of protection from other things that i consealed rite in front of the party (none of them have anything in spot)
now the problem at the time i didnt relise it would hurt when i bought all of this. i would share some of the stuff but im the only evil in the party. so i dont realy see the problem but there is one as u cn see the party is way unbalanced im the only person with anything magical. me rouge could kill the fighter in combat with the fighter knowing it the first round so no sneak attack.
u think i should share the stuff with the good people im neutral evil.
sugestions would be nice thanks

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Perhaps have a talk with the DM about handing out that much magic to a 1st-level character.

Or if its a high-powered game, maybe the DM is planning on handing out lots of magic to the other low-level characters.

hong

WotC's bitch
largeXgoat said:

u think i should share the stuff with the good people im neutral evil.
sugestions would be nice thanks

Sharing is fine. Sharing is spiffy. You should share.

If you want a reason your character would do nice things, think of it as weaseling your way into their confidences, so that they'll never suspect you of being eeeevil. Then when you _do_ rob them blind, you're sure to get away with it! Muahahaha!

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
largeXgoat said:
...so i get in fine no traps because its on a boat...

WhaaAAAAAAAAAT?!?! No traps because it's a boat?

You're lucky your DM hadn't picked up...

Plexus - Potent Portals from Creative Mountain Games!

Among other unsavory surprises you might have found yourself scouting the cabin through the...

Idiot's Porthole - If an idiot’s porthole has been installed on a ship, peeking into the captain’s cabin can leave a curious person with less information than they had previously. It appears to be a common porthole that is just large enough to accomodate a humanoid head. Anyone poking their head through an idiot’s porthole will be immediately affected by a feeblemind spell. Victims are allowed a Will save (DC 17) to avoid the effect.
An idiot’s porthole can function only once per day.
Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, feeblemind; Market Price: 18,000 gp; Weight: variable.

You're one lucky bastard, that's all I can say...

S'mon

Legend
The rich guy (& GM?) seems to have been a bit foolish leaving a 16,000gp diamond (practically a king's ransom) unattended and unguarded. However IMO 3e rogues are still a bit weaker in combat than most other classes, and if your group levels up at the normal 3e rate, in a few game sessions you'll no longer overshadow the others. I agree that a NE rogue would be unlikely to voluntarily share his wealth with others. Basically I think it's an interesting situation, you did well (and were lucky), and I wouldn't worry about it.

-Warlord-

First Post
Than again............you are the guy with the biggest problem.

The mage obviously overpaid you for the gems.
- bag of holding (2.500)
- mithril chain shirt (1.100),
- +1 rapier he made it +2 and keen (12.000)
- +4 gloves of dex (16.000)
That's 31.600 gp.....and that for a hot 16.000 gp gem and a 70 gp gem?

O yes....that mage must have realized the gems were stolen. So why overpay you?
Maybe the mage realised something you didn't. After all, you haven't been able to cast detect magic, so one of the gems could very well have been magical. Maybe it was a gem of seeing, or a gem of three wishes. And there's probably someone out there who's searching for that item, and the thief, right now...with lot more sources to apply.

So on the one side you have someone trying to figure out who the thief is. Someone that could pay a mage handsomely to find out. And the mage can probably hide the item from divination with magic. Guess on whose door (or worse...whose skull) this rich guy will come on knocking?
On the other hand you are the only witness of the mage's dealings outside the law, and the only one who knows he has the gem. You can expect him to send out his nasties after you too.
Seeing the kind of magic items the mage just had lying around, he's probably powerfull as well.

You might want to share you're newfound wealth around to buy the loyalty of your partymembers, for when the owner or the mage come by.

Sidenote:
I do think this is a bit excessive magic for a lowlevel party. Keeping the character-wealth-by-level table on page 145 of the DMG into account, you have the amount of magic items that usually only 8th+ level characters walk around with.
This doesn't have to mean anything if the other players and the bad guys have an equal amount of magic at their disposal. Otherwise the game may become "not fun", either because encounters are a piece of cake, or because the other player start to fee some resentment.

largeXgoat

First Post
yeah that weat i found the hole unbalanced thing in the first place.
secondly i dont think my DM would have though i could actualy take that big of a risk.
my DM doesnt use a screen so we can see everything he does (personaly i like this best) i saw him roll for the gem he rolled double 00's i gues ill share some of the wealth then. or do u think i could buy my way into a guild with some of this stuff? ive never played a rouge as ive said so its still unclear to me

S'mon

Legend
IMC unless your Rogue had good Appraisal skill he wouldn't have known what the gem was worth, so when he took it to the mage (who presumably was able to appraise it correctly ay 16000gp) the mage would've valued it at maybe 4,000gp, then offered the rogue items in exchange at x2 book value, so the rogue would've acquired 2,000gp worth of magic items - and still been a very happy rogue. :)

Sounds as if you have an inexperienced DM and a pretty light/casual game. Really, I still don't see anything to worry about - relax and enjoy your now-somewhat-munchkinised Rogue. :)

Thels

First Post
One of the many reasons why a DM should use a screen.

And even with Double 00's you shouldn't be given THAT much. a 200gp gem would've been nice. Or maybe a +1 dagger or something. Seems like since he randomly rolled it, there won't be any of the consequences Warlord was talking about.

Anyhow, considering the openmindedness of the DM, I take it for granted that the other players were all aware of what's going on. Unless you get some severe penalty for your stuff or the others get something of about equal value, the other players are probably gonna get annoyed.

mmu1

First Post
I think you guys need to re-think the whole "the party has no ranks in spot, so no one noticed I somehow seem to have acquired 50,000 gold worth of magical items." The characters in most parties spend way too much time together for something like this to fly - the game doesn't have rules for hiding things in plain sight, unless you take a PrC...
Besides, does your character ever sleep? Does anyone in the party ever cast detect magic? Was the rogue ever injured and required care from some other party member?

And just as an aside, you always end up with this sort of BS happening when someone has the bright idea to play a selfish, evil thief in a non-evil party and the DM doesn't have the experience (or will) to realize it's a bad idea and nip it in the bud.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases