Doctor Who News some spoilers

Ryujin

Legend
Some of them are very good. Meryl Streep, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Renee Zellwegger spring to mind.

There are certainly those who have taken a great deal of time in training for accents, but they seem in the minority. I hear more train wrecks than I do trained voices, on North American TV and in Hollywood movies.

Going with an unknown or lesser known actor always seems like a good idea. Someone who can be one famous as the Doctor rather than being a famous Doctor. Someone who can grow into the role rather than have the role modified for them.

And I doubt it will be anyone who has worked in film. If they've started in a movie, they're too high profile...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Going with an unknown or lesser known actor always seems like a good idea. Someone who can be one famous as the Doctor rather than being a famous Doctor. Someone who can grow into the role rather than have the role modified for them.

And I doubt it will be anyone who has worked in film. If they've started in a movie, they're too high profile...

Capaldi and Eccleston had both been in movies.

Capaldi and Eccleston had both been in movies.
But not particularly major roles. Not main cast. Or even really named characters. Like Tennant in the Goblet of Fire.
Anyone able to get nough film roles enough to be recognizable by name without having to Google or check IMDb us likely far too big to be the Doctor. TV is where you go to get the movie careeer (or after your film careeer is lagging).

A lot of people's casting for the Doctor seems to overlap with their casting for Bond, which feels like very different things.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But not particularly major roles. Not main cast. Or even really named characters. Like Tennant in the Goblet of Fire.

That's rather a goalpost move from "I doubt it will be anyone who has worked in film", the statement I was disagreeing with.

Anyone able to get nough film roles enough to be recognizable by name without having to Google or check IMDb us likely far too big to be the Doctor.

Elba is a bit more famous right now but Eccleston has a solid resume. I don't need to Google or check IMDB to name a bunch of his film works and I'm no movie scholar.

[quuote]TV is where you go to get the movie careeer (or after your film careeer is lagging).[/quote]

Not these days. That was the 1990s. :)

TV is no longer the red-headed stepchild of movies. Lots of major actors are in TV shows now.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Why that, specifically?

It gets away from the straight white-black race-swap meme that has increasingly become a thing (see movie Heimdal and stage Hermione) and also the third vector of the meme being Asian = Chinese. I think bringing in a whole 'other' culture for the Doctor to portray as he saves the multiverse would be interesting and of all the brown (non white, non black) people in Britain 'Pakistani' feels like a large enough recognizable demographic with a talented pool of working actors

Remove ads