What are you reading [Feb 2017]?

Nellisir

Hero
I just finished The Player of Games by Iain Banks. It is the second book in the Culture series. I chose it because it got good reviews, better ones than the first Culture novel.

The first 100 pages, a third of the novel, weren't great. The protagonist does nothing because ennui is eating him alive. He needs a new game and a good adversary. The rest of the novel is him playing that game for the crown of a galactic empire. That part is more engrossing, but it didn't satisfy the hard sci-fi and space opera fan in me. I'm not sure if I would recommend it or not. Weird.

Next up is The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett and The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. Other classics.
Try Alaistar Reynolds if you haven't yet.

Jhaelen

First Post
Hmm, for some reason, I cannot access the [March 2017] thread, so I'll just post here:

I just finished reading 'Station Eleven' by Emily St. John Mandel. While it's a kind of postapocalyptic novel, it's strangely beautifully written. Terrible things are only subtly hinted at, and it's all the more powerful for it.
It describes the lives of a few people before and after the outbreak of a pandemic in a non-linear fashion. What's great about it is defnitely more about the 'how' the story is told than 'what' is told. It reminded me of movies like 'Babel', or 'Crash' where you slowly realize how everything and everyone is connected. I'm not surprised there's a movie adaptation in the making. Highly recommended!

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Blood Meridian -Cormac McCarthy

I started that one but didn't get far into it. But I loved The Road and No Country for Old Men, so I need to give it an actual try.

You should check out Last Pale Light in the West. It's an excellent concept album about the characters in Blood Meridian from Ben Nichols of the astounding Lucero.

Brandegoris

First Post
SAXON TALES~ by Bernard Cornwell. I am on The Pagan Lord ( I think I have 3 more to go after this to catch up on where the series has left off)
Cornwell is sooooo good. Everything he writes is sweet!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases