Arrival And Blade Runner 2 Director Confirmed For Dune Reboot

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Denis Villeneuve, director of 2016's acclaimed Arrival and the upcoming Blade Runner 2049, will direct a new adaptation of the classic sci-fi novel Dune.

Villeneuve was rumored to be in talks to helm the project last month. Legendary acquired the rights to the multi-part sandworm and spice epic in November.

At the time it wasn't clear if the studio was planning a film or TV adaptation, but Herbert's tweet implies that the property will become a series of movies. Herbert is also onboard as one of the executive producers.

Dune was previously adapted for the big screen in 1984. The lavish movie was directed by David Lynch and starred Kyle McLachlan, Patrick Stewart, and Sting. While the film was a commercial failure, it has since gained a cult reputation.

The Sci-fi Channel also produced a Dune mini-series in the early 2000s. There have been other unsuccessful attempts to get a new movie version off the ground, most recently with Patriots Day director Peter Berg at the helm.

Villeneuve is currently working on Blade Runner 2049, starring Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford. He is also up for Best Director for Arrival at this month's Academy Awards.

Jhaelen

First Post
I haven't seen Arrival, yet, but everything else from Denis Villeneuve has been great, so far. So, this new Dune could be great, as well!

Ryujin

Legend
Maybe it is time for a Dune RPG

"Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium" - It didn't get out much. Definite homebody. Also Wizards were working on a D20 game but the Herbert family actually wanted money, so nothing came of it.

Given how bad (and not in a good way) the 1984 movie was, this might actually be a property I would go to a reboot of.

Descartes

Explorer
I really liked the Sci-Fi Channel's miniseries and wish they had continued with the other books. Maybe the remake can create a new franchise and do the series justice. They have a main story line and prequels to boot.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
With Dune, you almost have to film the Appendices (and a 'History of the Known Universe' lecture) as their own movies and release them on DVD the weekend after the core movie hits.
So the non-fan audience can figure out why those people were doing all that weird stuff.

Remove ads