D&D 5E 5e Halcyon Academy

tglassy

Adventurer
[sblock=Jordy]
"Ah yes!" the man said, taking the letter, "This is worthless, now." With a flick of his hand, the letter lit on fire and tumbled to the floor, consumed before it hit. "All you need now is this."

He set a coin down on the table in front of Jordy. It is a small coin, perhaps an inch long, and is clearly made of gold. On the one side was the face of a rugged man with a beard, and on the other was a castle.

"Obviously, the Academy isn't here in Llast. It's on an island. Well, it's on a number of islands. Impossible to find unless your captain knows exactly how to get there. Once there, in order to get off the boat, you have this coin. You will not be able to get off the boat without one. If the boat gets there, and you do not have this coin, no force will be able to pull you off that boat. You will be brought back here, and be offered another chance with next year's class, maybe. Do I make myself clear?"

He didn't bother waiting for an answer.

"Good! On to other things. No weapons, that was on the invitation, I think. No other magical items. The first thing you will be doing is your entrance exams. Need to know if you're going to be staying, and where you can stay. Don't worry, sixty percent of each incoming class makes it to at least one of the schools. That's better than half a chance! You'll be great.

"Now, do you have any questions?"[/sblock]

[sblock=Dariana]
The woman smiled. "I didn't mean lost as in you don't know where you are. I meant lost as in you aren't in your element."

The woman takes Dariana's arm in hers, leading her down through the street.

"Most people here right now aren't from here, obviously. They are here to go to Halcyon Academy. I assume that's what you're here for?"[/sblock]

[sblock=Zivar]
The dragonborn scratched his head. "Well, you'll only be in Llast for tonight. The ship heading for Halcyon Academy leaves in the morning. I keep it pretty safe in here, so if you just stay in here all night, after checking in at the Tower, then you should be fine. This town doesn't really have a shady side, though with all the new people in town, it's not usually smart to travel after night until after the Academy Ship leaves."

Zivar knows that the Jewler's Guild has a shop in town. It's only the one shop, run by a high elf and his human wife (his sixth, he keeps outliving them). It's easy enough to find, so I will assume he knows it's location. It isn't far from the docks. Perhaps a ten minute walk from the Inn. [/sblock]

tglassy

Adventurer
[sblock=Mim]
Mim manages to dig a hole in the side of the keg, and peering through it he can see...many other kegs. He is in a hold of some kind. [/sblock]

"Ah yes!" the man said, taking the letter, "This is worthless, now." With a flick of his hand, the letter lit on fire and tumbled to the floor, consumed before it hit. "All you need now is this."

He set a coin down on the table in front of Jordy. It is a small coin, perhaps an inch long, and is clearly made of gold. On the one side was the face of a rugged man with a beard, and on the other was a castle.

"Obviously, the Academy isn't here in Llast. It's on an island. Well, it's on a number of islands. Impossible to find unless your captain knows exactly how to get there. Once there, in order to get off the boat, you have this coin. You will not be able to get off the boat without one. If the boat gets there, and you do not have this coin, no force will be able to pull you off that boat. You will be brought back here, and be offered another chance with next year's class, maybe. Do I make myself clear?"

He didn't bother waiting for an answer.

"Good! On to other things. No weapons, that was on the invitation, I think. No other magical items. The first thing you will be doing is your entrance exams. Need to know if you're going to be staying, and where you can stay. Don't worry, sixty percent of each incoming class makes it to at least one of the schools. That's better than half a chance! You'll be great.

"Now, do you have any questions?"

"I-I met a woman, here in the town. She said she could guarantee my acceptance. Is that allowed?

Also, do I have to show the coin to get off the boat, or just have it somewhere on my person?"

tglassy

Adventurer
[sblock=Mim]
OOC: I'm gonna let you Take 20 here, cause you'll get out eventually.

Mim breaks his way out of the keg, and finds himself in a room with many kegs, crates, and barrels. The room is fairly large, and there is one door on what we will call the east side of the room. [/sblock]

[sblock=Dariana]
"Oh, the Academy is not here, dear. This is just where you meet the ship that takes you to the Academy. But yes, you can learn a lot...if you are able to get in. That is not as easy. And judging at how deftly that child got away from you..."

The woman left the rest of her statement unsaid as they walked through the busy street. She stopped at a stall selling pastries, and bought two, handing one to Dariana. [/sblock]

[sblock=Jordy]
A shadow seemed to fall over the wizard's face, "I doubt very seriously anyone can guarantee your entry into any of the schools. The nature of the exams is such that there really is no way to cheat them. Mainly because there is no such thing as cheating at the Academy, because results are more important than how you got them. It is a place of learning and study, and the students control their path. If you find an easy route to get what you want, you are more than welcome to take it.

"But I would caution you. So called easy routes always come with a cost, and it may be a cost you aren't willing to pay. Charismatic magic, for example, is wildly dangerous. If someone has figured out a way to guarantee entrance, I would be worried as to what they want in return.

"As for the coin, you will give it to a man as you walk off the ship. It is like payment. No payment, no exit. Is there anything else?" [/sblock]

Azurewraith

Explorer
Mim tucks the dagger in his belt and checks to see if any the crates lids are loose and easily opened or if they have any markings or emblems on them. Then Mim heads for the door and listens intently.
OOC: perception [roll0] if there's a lock ill peep through or under if a gap

Greenmtn

Explorer
"So the boat to the Academy leaves in the morning then? In that case I would love to know if you have a room available and how much it would be for a night. I do have a little running around to do here in town today but I greatly appreciate your advice. My manners do seem to have escaped me, I didn't get your name. I am Zilzivar Seodoireacht, but most call me Zivar, the trouble with gnome names, if you use the whole thing half the people listening fall asleep before you are done speaking." Zivar smiles at the dragonborn as he speaks.

tglassy

Adventurer
[sblock=Zivar]
"I am Balasar. Rooms are paid for for Academy candidates," the dragonborn said. "As most of the prospective students have already gone to the ship, we do have availability for the night. I will put you down for one. You may come for the key anytime after you get your coin from the Tower.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, small one, I must return to my duties. Find me after you have visited the Tower, and I will have your room ready."
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mim]
The crates are sealed fairly well, and Mim is unable to get them open without breaking them, though he may try if he wishes. Mim detects nothing outside the door. [/sblock]

A shadow seemed to fall over the wizard's face, "I doubt very seriously anyone can guarantee your entry into any of the schools. The nature of the exams is such that there really is no way to cheat them. Mainly because there is no such thing as cheating at the Academy, because results are more important than how you got them. It is a place of learning and study, and the students control their path. If you find an easy route to get what you want, you are more than welcome to take it.

"But I would caution you. So called easy routes always come with a cost, and it may be a cost you aren't willing to pay. Charismatic magic, for example, is wildly dangerous. If someone has figured out a way to guarantee entrance, I would be worried as to what they want in return.

"As for the coin, you will give it to a man as you walk off the ship. It is like payment. No payment, no exit. Is there anything else?"

"She said to ask for Melinda at the tavern tonight if I was interested.

As for the coin, I thought maybe I could swallow it for safe-keeping. But not if I have to hand it over tomorrow.

Can I go to the ship now?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases