Kick-arse monk build?

Tashtego

Explorer
Hey there.

I'm going to be starting a conversion of Labyrinth of Madness as a 16th level character. I'm going to play a monk. Of some kind. I've access to all of the WotC stuff, and was thinking about a 9th lvl Monk (to get Improved Evasion) and 7 levels of Shintao Monk from Oriental adventures. Possibly a Vanara so I can use lots of 'Monkey' references. Any tips to make the character tough and combat and also good at avoid the usual dungeon stuff, e.g. killer traps?

Regards,
Tash

Darklone

I'd go for a high strength, con and wisdom build instead of dex. You'll have one more feat and since your level is already high, you can rely on magic items for AC.

FluidDragon

First Post
I would also focus on STR and WIS then CON, DEX, INT, CHA in that order. The biggest downfall of a monk is low damage and low number of hits.

By ignoring dex and weapon finesse which wastses a feat you can focus more on other abilities. As STR ups the hit prob and damage it is better to put the points on. I would also not bother with the spring attack feat chain.

One thing the monk does better than any other class is grapple. From OA I would take the following feats: Improved grapple, earths embrace, and choke hold.

Any magic items that enhance your ability to hit with unarmed attacks and increase the damage I would get.

I would avoid items that duplicate your current abilities, like boots of striding and springing.

-FD

Darklone

Some cheap displacement items might be nice too.

Weapon Focus unarmed is a no brainer... gloves of magic fang too. Actually, I'd have a look at Wulf Ratbanes blind shaman type in Piratecats storyhour :D

Andion Isurand

First Post
an 'Improved Blink' ( sor/wiz 5, Unapproachable East ) item would be fun for your monk....

....since with that, you can time when you turn ethereal and material...

....and behave like one of the Twins from the Matrix as you fight.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
If you want a truely Kick-Ass Monk then you might consider a Half-Ogre (ECL +1 by the book) and take the OA grappling feats (Improved Grapple, Earths Embrace, and Choke Hold). Also there is another feat Improved Grapple in the Unapproachable East that lets you use a touch attack to start a grapple with no AoO and it also give you a + 4 to all grapple checks. Power Attack would be useful. You might want to take Flying Kick, Headlong Rush, Battle Jump and Power Lunge for the ability to do some massive damage in a charge (str x2 total damage x4). You might consider multi-classing as a Psychic Warrior some of the psionc feats are cool and would complement the charging feats.

My build (what I would play if I was building a 16lv Monk)
Half-Ogre ECL+1
(large Str +6 Dex -2 Con +2 Int -2 Cha -2 NA +4 Darkvision Gaint Blood)
Stats wanted Str as high as possible, Dex 13, Con good is possible, Int not to low, Wis atleast 13 if not higher, Cha doesn't matter much
Psychic Warrior 4 lv
(Speed of Thought, Psionic Charge,Up The Walls)
Monk 4 lv
Shintao Monk 7 lv
(Improved Grapple(OA), Earths Embrace,Choke Hold, Improved Grapple(UE))
Normal level based feats
Flying Kick(OA), Headlong Rush(RoF), Battle Jump(UE), Power Lunge(S&F), Power Attack, Inertial Armor (or Mental Leap or Stand Still if you want (all Psionic Handbook))
Skills- high Jump, good Tumble and Balance, about 5 ranks Autohypnosis and Stabilize Self, and at least 8 ranks Knowledge (Religion) (which is a monk class in OA)
Total BAB +12 (additional attacks +7/+2 or +5/+2)
Fort +13 Relf +10 Will +10
AC (20+) +4 NA +4 IA +2 Monk +Dex +Wis
Grapple Bonus (23+) +4 size +4 Improved Grapple(UE) +12 +Str
Monk Bonus: Speed 60 (70 with SoT), AC bonus +2, Damage 1d12
Magical Items: displacement, jump bonus, Bracer of Striking

I think all that works out right and in my opinion would make a fun and strong character.

Tashtego

Explorer
Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to use any psychic stuff, but I can use OA. One idea I had was taking Spring Attack and lots of tumble so I could roll in 40ft and then back again to avoid staying in close combat. So currently, I'm tinkering with a hit and run build with lots of ranks in tumble and climb. Hmm, what do you think of this idea?

Regards,
Tash

gariig

First Post
Unless you are using some sort of tumbling variant, a DC25 tumble check should be a no brainer, you already have 19 ranks(assuming maxed). Most of the time you will be taking the lower DC version anyway. So, I would suggest dropping the Spring Attack chain, it's great at low levels, but now that you are plopped down at lvl16 you can min/max your character more.

Gariig

Metallian

First Post
I'm having a lot of fun with my Half-Celestial Monk.

You get some natural armor, really good stat bonuses (Monks need a good Str, Wis, Dex, and ideally Con), plus flight (Monk speed does not apply to fly speed) and a few nifty spell-like abilities in the bargain.

The Metallian

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Tashtego said:
Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to use any psychic stuff, but I can use OA. One idea I had was taking Spring Attack and lots of tumble so I could roll in 40ft and then back again to avoid staying in close combat. So currently, I'm tinkering with a hit and run build with lots of ranks in tumble and climb. Hmm, what do you think of this idea?

Sorry I thought you could use any WoTC book. In that case just trade out the Psychic Warrior lvs for Monk lvs. You might consider taking strait Monk for the SR. I still recommend taking Half-Oger and the Grapple feats they are very useful. If you want to build a Character on Spring Attack I would recomend taking Improved Disarm they make a very nice combo (Improved Disarm is very nice on its own). Grappling Block, Karmic Strike and Defensive Throw are all fun feats if your going for an untouchable monk. Also if you want a ECL +0 race for a hit and run character then don't discount the Nezumi base speed 40ft (100ft as lv 15 Monk) is great for a monk and the ability to take Scent is a good bonus.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases