D&D 5E 5th Level Teifling Sorcerer

crazypete89

First Post
Playing my first ever D and D Game, we have a Wood Elf Ranger, Human Cleric and Rouge (Hafling?). im stuck on what spells to use, my dm is letting me add my charisma (+4) to ranged spells:
Cantrips: (5) For sure: Firebolt, Shocking Grasp; not for sure: Chill touch, minor illusion poison spray mage hand, message prestidigitation or true strike?
Level 1: (3) For sure: Chromatic Orb, Magic Missile Not sure: charm person, shield, sleep or thunder wave
level 2: (2) Not sure: Enhanced Ability, Hold person, invisibility, levitate, mirror image, misty step scorching ray, shatter or suggestion
Level 3 (1) NO choice, fly. already used it in game.
spell slots- 1-4 2-3 3-2
Am i over thinking this?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Currently playing a Lvl 8 Draconic Sorcerer, so hope this helps:

I recommend for your other cantrips you grab Prestidigitation and Mage Hand at least. Lot of Roleplaying fluff you can do with them.
Ray of Frost is good as well.

1st levels: I recommend either Shield or Sleep.

2nd levels: I recommend Misty Step first and foremost. It has saved my character's life countless times.

Iain_Coleman

Explorer
Cantrips: Mage hand is immensely useful. It was largely responsible for getting our party through the Tomb of Horrors. Prestidigitation has loads of roleplaying applications. True Strike is a bollocks, avoid it.

Level 1: Definitely take Shield. Shield never gets old.

Level 2: Enhanced Ability is so, so useful.

Level 3: Bear in mind that when you gain a new spell, you can also replace a lower level spell with a new spell of a level you can now cast. In other words, while you have to take Fly, you can also upgrade a first or second level spell to Fireball. You will definitely appreciate having Fireball.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You shouldnt' take 2 first level attack spell - orb and magic missile. It's redundant.

See what Ian said - trade in one of them for Fireball! :D

Vulf

First Post
Twincast Greenflame Blade is tons of damage when you have 2 enemies next to each other. Fastcast Lightning Lure and Thunderwave can put enemies next to each other.

crazypete89

First Post
I've narrowed it down, now just need to solidify level 2. Have firebolt, create bonfire, frostbite shocking grasp, not sure on minor illusion or mage hand. shield, magic missile, fly and fireball. Only full caster in party, was thinking detect thoughts and mirror image?

Remove ads