EttBP Conversion (Android)

Abe71

First Post
As far as I can tell, I am in OGL compliance. If that is not the case, I apologize in advance and nothing more will follow.

I am just about to send one of my PBeM groups into what is quite possibly my sentimental favorite module of all times: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. It was the first adventure I ever purchased with my own money. I still have fond memories of my friend's older brother running us through it late at night. He was a master at ambience and had us all scared out of our gourds.

Anyway, I am just starting converting the creatures -- the Gamma World weapons and equipment will come later -- and could use a bit of help. This is the first time I have actually sat down and tried to convert or create something out of the ether. I am using the Dragon article from October 2000 as my guide, but know I'm going to make some mistakes along the way. I would appreciate constructive criticism and advice, especially on determining Challenge Ratings. Here is the first creature: Android.

(Apologies in advance if the formatting is off. All flavor information has been removed to ensure OGL compliance.)

Android
Medium-Sized Construct
Hit Dice: 7d10 (38 hp)
Initiative: +4 (Dex)
Speed: 30
AC: 21 (+4 Dex, +7 natural)
Attacks: 2 slams +8 melee; or +8 simple melee weapons; or +9 simple ranged weapons
Damage: Slam 1d4+3, by weapon
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Construct, magic immunity, immunities, half damage, water vulnerability, darkvision 60'
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 18, Con -, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 1
Challenge Rating: ?

Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.
Magic Immunity (Ex): Androids completely resist most magical and supernatural effects, except as follows. A Heat Metal spell -- and similar spell-like abilities -- does normal damage. Electrical based damage is treated normally. Roll a d20 anytime an android is damaged by electricity. There is a cumulative 1 in 20 chance per 5 hit points of electrical damage that the android shuts down permanently.
Immunities (Ex): Androids have cold immunity.
Half Damage from Fire and Acid (Ex): Fire- and acid-based attacks, with the above noted exception, deal only half damage to androids, with a minimum of 1 point of damage.
Water Vulnerability (Ex): Immersion in water for 3 full rounds will cause the android to short circuit and shut down.

Last edited:

Abe71

First Post
Krishnath said:
The attack bonus is off by one. It should be +7.

Later, and good luck with your conversion attempts. :D

Thanks! Are both my ranged and melee attacks off or just the melee?

Any suggestions on the CR?

Krishnath

First Post
Just the melee, as far as I can tell.

CR would be somewhere around 4 or 5.

Also, if it supposed to be an android, why does it lack Int?

Abe71

First Post
Krishnath said:
Just the melee, as far as I can tell.

CR would be somewhere around 4 or 5.

Also, if it supposed to be an android, why does it lack Int?

Well, from a mechanics standpoint, Constructs do not usually have Int or Con scores. I decided to stick with that.

Otherwise, the lack of an Int score reflects the fact that the Android's intellect is nothing more than the sum of its program. While it may have perfect memory, it cannot think independently or learn anything new by itself.

Wisdom is what the Android uses to sift through its sensory input to implement its program, hence the human-level Wis score. I am forgoing any AI, at least in this model.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Abe71 said:
Well, from a mechanics standpoint, Constructs do not usually have Int or Con scores. I decided to stick with that.

not always. :D most constructs are non-intelligent, but there are those that are programmed with the capacity for self-awareness and independent thought.

Otherwise, the lack of an Int score reflects the fact that the Android's intellect is nothing more than the sum of its program. While it may have perfect memory, it cannot think independently or learn anything new by itself.

Wisdom is what the Android uses to sift through its sensory input to implement its program, hence the human-level Wis score. I am forgoing any AI, at least in this model.

i noticed that in the module, androids are listed with "average" intelligence, but for robots it is listed as "programmed". i'm not sure what the rest of the module says about them, but i would say that androids at least may have an intelligence score, while the robots may not. your call. :)

Abe71

First Post
BOZ said:

i noticed that in the module, androids are listed with "average" intelligence, but for robots it is listed as "programmed". i'm not sure what the rest of the module says about them, but i would say that androids at least may have an intelligence score, while the robots may not. your call. :)

I just noticed the Intelligence rating. I've been focusing so hard on the description I forgot to look at the stats. It is curious that the domestic android has "intelligence" while the crime fighting robot is only "programmed." I guess the creators wanted the android to be able to philosophize while making coffee but were afraid the robot would get too smart and actually solve crimes.

A flat 10 does not hurt anything, I suppose. I would not want to be accused of having stupid androids floating around. :D

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Now that they have an Int score, they would be playable as characters. Their LA is +5, which together with the HD brings their total ECL to +12, in other words a 1st level android fighter would be equivalent of a 13th level character. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases