Ghost in the Shell (2017) Official Trailer 2

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Yes, but the various products are thematically similar. Starship Troopers was such a departure from the source that I considered it a different franchise all together. This is a personal view of it. It has nothing to do with how the makers of it intended it to be. It's a bit like some fans of Star Wars don't consider the prequels to be Star Wars movies.
The Ghost in the Shell movies and series are meant to stand alone.

So for my own sanity, I will put this movie in another realm if it's as different as I hope it won't be.
I'm not sure why people say the trailers do not look good. They look like the film, TV series and manga. If someone liked those, they should like the trailer (the film remains to be seen).

Joker

First Post
That clip doesn't inspire a heap of confidence in me. It looks really cool. But Scarlett's acting is so wooden. I'll wait and see what people think about the movie before I go and see it. Being only available in 3D doesn't really motivate me either.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'm hoping it is a box office success and launches a new franchise. A franchise that attrats talented writers, actors and directors. The GitS universe is the kind of near-future universe that as a lot of potential.

So far, visually, that scene looks great. And from the popularity of Transformers, that might just be enough to make it a franchise. Especially if we consider that Johansson's Lucy made 463 million dollars and it wasn't a very good or special film.

I was excited about this and even accepting of Johansson in the role. But so far, she's not selling me in the trailers. Motoko Kusanagi is hard as nails. Tough. Johansson is bringing a lot of sensitivity and vulnerability to most of her scenes in the trailer, which just doesn't work.

She should be playing it like Batman but instead she's doing it like Superman.

Plus:
This is about what I expected: A completely Hollyfied version of the source material. A focus on the emotional "Who am I?" rather than the intellectual "What am I?".
Agreed. It's taking the question of identity and the self that permeates the series and reducing it to its most shallow. Instead of making her the hard boiled cop that's just doing the job she has to rebel against... someone.

Visually it looks perfect, but underneath it misses the whole damn point. It's like doing a film version of 1984 where Winston Smith stages a revolution and kills Big Brother...

Well I plan to see it next week and it looks like Mamoru Oshii the director of the anime is okay with the casting http://www.avclub.com/article/original-ghost-shell-director-applauds-live-action-252636

and had this to say over all
encouraged director Rupert Sanders to change whatever he wanted about the original story. “If he doesn’t do so, there would be no point in remaking it.”

As for this, it's a different continuity just like the Manga,show,OVAs and the three movies are.

Droo71

First Post
Movies like this one are difficult to make translate well. I"ve seen very little anime or manga that I thought was well translated to live action.
North American comics yes, but the Japanese ones, less so - not sure why.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases