How big is your starship?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've been playing with figures!

Taking the class tonnage figures for starships, I looked up equivalent tonnage real-world ships and planes, and also fictional spaceships. I then took those vehicles and looked up their longest dimension. This I plotted against ship class on a scatter graph. Here are the results:

16665681_10155073138138707_8165363475363962190_o.jpg

It's not a perfect straight line, but I feel that using the orange line for classes 11 or below, and the red line for larger ships works. Using that method, for most ships, a longest dimension of 30m per class is about right. So a class V ship is about 150m long (or wide, or high, whichever is longer).

That only works for ships with one dimension longer than the others, of course. For more boxy or spherical ships, half that might be appropriate.

Note, of course, that this is not a strict rule. One ship might just be made of denser material than another. Another might be very long, but empty. But it's a start.

These are the figures I used:

16708167_10155073142593707_1453544442703053946_n.jpg

TL;DR version: If you're not sure how big your ship is, take its class, multiply it by 30, and that's its longest dimension in meters. Roughly.

Xohar17

Explorer
Is the millenium falcon a class I ship just because of its tonnage? Because as far as size is concerned it should be around 0-III or 0-IV

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is the millenium falcon a class I ship just because of its tonnage? Because as far as size is concerned it should be around 0-III or 0-IV

Class is a measure of tonnage, not size. The TARDIS is probably a Class Infinity ship.

The size estimates are just average guidelines - they aren't what defines the Class. Only tonnage does that.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases