When do YOU multi-class?

Quickbeam

Explorer
I have a low level cleric of Boccob, who is likely going to take a few levels of Wizard in keeping with his deity's devotion to magic. In general, I don't like multi-classing my characters unless it's to pursue a PrC. So here's my question you:
At what stage of character development is it best to acquire levels of a second class? It would seem that earlier on is best because of the added class benefits and relative ease of gaining XP. However, I can also see the wisdom in waiting until your primary class has reached mid-levels before shifting focus.

Just looking for some thoughts and feedback :) .

Rashak Mani

First Post
Curious question... beside Prestige classes... I would say I multiclass when I dont think my original class will give me what I need or the other class complements my current stuff better.

I have a Dwarven Fighter/Barbarian 4/4

I started 3 lvls fighter... then 2 Barbarians (uncanny dodge and rage + movement)... then 1 fighter (wpn specialz and focus) and finally 2 Barbarian. (extra rage) :)

bret

First Post
I usually do it fairly early, where every little bonus helps.

In the case of of Priest of Boccom, you are looking at gaining the Scribe Scroll feat, possibly a familiar, and that is about it. As I recall, the Magic domain already allows you to use Arcane wands and scrolls.

I would say the most useful of these is the Scribe Scroll feat.

The biggest problem is going to be the drop in caster level. Unless there is some sort of PrC that allows you to combine arcane and divine levels for spells that appear in both lists, you are going to get hurt here.

DwarvenBrew

First Post
Immediately

I generally take the apprentice class route, but this is more for character concept than game mechanics reasons.

I do this because I usually don't think of my characters in class terms, my characters "are what they are". Adding classes later on signifies more of a profession change, since more times than not the character gets a very different/new set of abilities.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
[powergame]

It is my belief that anyone who can cast spells and monks should not mutl-class to a core class. They will lose out on some of the nicer high-end abilities. Obviously, there are always exceptions to this rule, but it is still a pretty good rule.

[/powergame]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I generally multiclass when it fits the character concept. I'm a bit more concerned with who the character is than what he can do, so I will multiclass when I think the character would feel it's what he wants to do, rather than when it would get me the best bonuses.

drnuncheon

Explorer
BiggusGeekus said:
[powergame]

It is my belief that anyone who can cast spells and monks should not mutl-class to a core class. They will lose out on some of the nicer high-end abilities. Obviously, there are always exceptions to this rule, but it is still a pretty good rule.

[/powergame]

That is, of course, assuming that they are a primary spellcaster. If they want to have magical abilities to supplement their primary function (for example, a rogue taking some wizard levels to get access to cool stuff like invisibility and knock) then multiclassing can be the way to even greater power.

(After all, who needs a couple more points in Climb when you can levitate or spider climb? And a mobility-style fighter might be quite willing to trade a BAB and some hit points for expeditious retreat and shield...)

J

Quickbeam

Explorer
Let me add a bit more info, for those of you who don't know my player tendencies by heart :) . I am not a powergamer by nature, and don't choose spells, feats and skills to enhance the buff nature of my PCs. I'm also not a method actor, who frequently designs bizarre characters for their unique racial and class combinations. I admit to exhibiting traits of both player types occasionally, but not as a rule. I simply create PCs that sound interesting, will expose me to different abilities and game features, and challenge me to roleplay in a manner that isn't the same every time out.

To that end, I've already decided this character is going to take at least one level of Wizard, despite his ability to utilize arcane wands and scrolls from the Magic Domain. It just fits my concept of what this fellow is all about.
*shrug*
What I'm asking advice on, is when would it seem most reasonable to take a second class? The PC isn't going to have some epiphany that tells him to suddenly learn the ways of the druid; or be forced to hack his way through several encounters and find he wants to become part fighter. He is devoted to the God of Magic, and the study of divine and arcane powers -- when would you suggest squeezing those Wizard levels in?

Someguy

First Post
It all depends on the character....if it is becuase of personality, I generally multiclass early on to reflect this and to be able to build off something...if it is becuase of something in the campaign, then it is during then...or for powergaming, when it would be most adventagueos...for your concept, i would go with early becuase it is something you can build on...

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Multiclass early, no doubt.

I prefer using the "apprentice level" alternative way to *begin* the game multiclassed (from the DMG).

I have a cleric 3/wizard 8 right now (started as clr 1/wiz 1). I actually never intended to let my cleric levels stay so low, but the lure of more and better arcane spells was too strong to resist. I initially bumped up cleric levels to get better healing and hold person, then switched to bumping up wizard and never looked back. Without my cleric levels, I and the rest of my group would have been massacred on more than one occasion (one being once too many times, LOL). :D

Remove ads