Respecting other gamers' playing style [rant]

johnsemlak

First Post
First of all, I'd like to stress the importance of respecting each others opinions, and as such, opinions about how to play D&D.

I've become a little bothered lately by comments I've heard/read from gamers I game with here and who I read online

Comments like:

"That's like roleplaying without using your brains"

or

"Nobody would like that"

or

"I can't believe anybody would play that"

In all the cases, my thoughts were, "I might quite enjoy that."

Nearly all gamers have a certain RPG style which they prefer, and it's not surprising that some styles conflict.

Some people love dungeon crawls; others can't stand them. Some people play a fantasy roleplaying game that barely resembles fantasy, others love traditional high fantasy. Some gamers play only non-fantasy RPGs. Some people love playing through old classic adventures still, others and sick and tired of them. Some people stress balance, others stress flavor. Some people like their campaign to emulate 'real-world' situations, others don't. Some players are role players, others or roll players. Some people love 3rd edition, others stick with 1st edition (or earlier). ETC

Oh, and one of my favorite polarizations--Some people love Gary Gygax's works, and others, well, you know...

Now, I want to emphasize, there's nothing wrong with having any of the above opinions. Tactfully expressing such opinions is also fine. There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to play according to your preferences. But I'm increasingly bothered by people who attempt to take the 'I'm right, everyone else is wrong' position. I'm not referring to anything in particular, it's a general trend I've noticed.

Sometimes I'm also bothered by certain players being labeled 'good roleplayers' or 'bad role-players' when perhaps what is closer to the mark is 'this player has a similar style to me'.

Just for the record, I would admit, I"m not a good roleplayer (or roll player). I'm getting back into D&D still, shacking off the rust and habits ingrained from playing older versions when I was in college/high school or younger. I'm not nearly as experienced as many people out there who have been RPGing for a long time. But still, there are certain styles of play I prefer.

I started playing D&D after a long period out of gaming a few months ago.. One thing I've learned in meeting new players, as well as through the online community, is that nowadays there is massive range of playing styles out there. I'm increasingly trying to respect others' styles, and even give them a try.

Obviously the point of getting together to play D&D is to have a good time. So, naturally, people are going to want to play the way they like to play. The important thing about RPGs should be having a good time. IT's a hobby, not a job.

Last edited:

Bubbalicious

First Post
Hang with 'em man! It can get frustrating with all the meta-gamers out there, but the ONLY important thing is that you have fun, otherwise, why participate?

One of my favorite characters had stats that were all 11s and 12s. Other characters of mine usually have some glaring weakness (often very low strength). I establish my character first, then play him for keeps. I don't grab for magic items that don't make sense for my character to use. I'll stand in there in battle until I'm about to die, then get the Heck out of there! Nobody wants to die if they can help it, and that's how I play my characters.

What I'm getting at is that there are far too many people out there who have no clue what being a good "role player" is. They can't enjoy themselves unless their character is the biggest, baddest (in other words...most ridiculous), M.F. ever heard of. I'm far more satisfied with a character who overcomes shortcomings, adversities, and fears to make an indispensible contribution against all odds.

Everyone's tastes are different, and as long as they don't get too out of hand (like playing a good Cleric that greedily grabs every magic item and comes up with lame excuses why their character should possess EVERYTHING, for example) and spoil your fun, then let them have their own kind of fun as well.

And if they do make themselves to be pains in the rear, do unexpected things (in character, of course) that force them in a direction that lets everyone have fun (like refusing to heal them or aid them in battle until they play nice...they called it "fragging" in 'Nam).

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Comments like:

"That's like roleplaying without using your brains"

or

"Nobody would like that"

or

"I can't believe anybody would play that"

In all the cases, my thoughts were, "I might quite enjoy that."

Nearly all gamers have a certain RPG style which they prefer, and it's not surprising that some styles conflict.
Human nature... A much more accurate 'Well, that's not for me.' often becomes an 'Ugh. This sucks!' instead.

(BTW, everybody: If you see a comment like the 'without brains' one here in EN World, please contact your friendly neighborhood moderators immediately. Especially instead of responding in kind.)

Last edited:

Maldur

First Post
Johnsemlak you are so right!!

After some threads I tried to find the words to say just that.

And arn't we lucky we playa game where we can be as diverse as we are? (try that with monopoly :D)

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Well said. So many people think it's their right to be rude on the internet. As if being cynical became a lisence for being a jerk.

Where has the art of being a nice person gone to?

The other day, a poster over at the ----- boards called my gaming style being very lazy. Needless to say, I got pretty steamed. I spend hours planning and fixing games, music, timing, plots and NPCs. And I get called lazy?!

:mad: Grr...

Let's hear it for respecting other people's gaming styles! :)

bwgwl

First Post
nimisgod said:
The other day, a poster over at the ----- boards called my gaming style being very lazy. Needless to say, I got pretty steamed. I spend hours planning and fixing games, music, timing, plots and NPCs. And I get called lazy?!
geez, i've run whole sessions from 15 minutes preparation and a half a page of scribbled notes. i guess i'm the laziest GM of them all. :rolleyes:

LostWorldsMike

First Post
I think Rodney King said it best: "Why can't we all just get along?"

That may sound tongue-in-cheek, but it's meant with all seriousness. If there's something you hate (be it gaming style, book, movie, whatever), there's someone out there who loves it.

If their enjoyment of something doesn't cause you immediate personal pain and suffering, then you've no right to complain about it.

Hmmm. I think I'll get off my high horse now. Sorry.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I have meta-gamed with the best of them. I love good hack-and-slash dungeon crawls packed with meta-gaming and stat crunching.

I also run deep-immersion role-playing sessions where nary a die is rolled and everyone walks home afterwards, shuddering.

I LOVE TO GAME.

I love the game.

I love to game in almost every form. From diceless to number-crunching. From High-Fantasy to Low-Fantasy to CyberPunk to SplatterPunk to Personal Horror.

Goddess, I love to game.

And I love the games.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases