D&D 5E Boots of Striding and Springing.......kinda lame

Yardiff

Adventurer
So, in the past these boots were pretty useful but now.......

Requires Attunement

While you wear these boots, your walking speed becomes 30 feet, unless your speed is higher normally, and your speed isn't reduced if encumbered or wearing heavy armor.
In addition you can jump 3 times the normal distance, though you cant jump father then your remaining movement would allow.

Yup pretty offal (awful) in my opinion.

Horwath

Legend
Yeah, they suck.

I would make them:

You gain +10ft movespeed,

you jump double the normal distance and gain +5 to strength(athletics) check for jumping.

Barolo

First Post
For low level play they can be quite fun (they are just uncommon). Afterwards, you give them as a gift to some loyal hireling, should you ever find better boots or run out of attunement slots.

unknowable

Explorer
It depends on your DM, your party comp and how often you attempt to jump.

For a lightfoot halfling rogue for instance, great little boots until you find something better that requires attunement.

Sticking them on the packmule muscular half orc / dwarf you brought to safely carry around the party gear is also a good move.

They aren't super exciting, but the niche they occupy is far from useless. The jumping is amazingly useful though.

Barolo

First Post
Low level, low power magic item. Will make your 3rd level cleric or whatever struggling with splint armor happy. Or that thief who just wants to jump over rooftops stealing stuff while in the city, you know.

Satyrn

First Post
Yeah, they suck.

I would make them:

You gain +10ft movespeed,

you jump double the normal distance and gain +5 to strength(athletics) check for jumping.

I think I'd work off this for simplicity: "In addition you can jump 3 times the normal distance, though you cant jump father then your remaining movement would allow."

Change that to just read - well, I don't no how to word it. - that you can make a jump as far as your movemsnt allows. You haven't moved at all? 30 foot jump! Though that has the weird consequence of meaning a standing jump can be farther than a running long jump. Meh.

Could we turn Jumping into a movement type like swimming and flying and let these boots give a Jump speed of 20?

It's less that they're objectively terrible, and more that they used to be much better.

As it stands, they are highly situational, but I can at least understand why someone (outside of the Forgotten Realms) would bother to make these.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases