A New Conan

Water Bob

Adventurer
I thought Jason Momoa was a pretty good Conan, but if we ever get another Conan film--except for the one supposedly in the works with Arnie returning the role as King Conan--I think Zach McGowan would be an excellent choice. Deep, husky voice. Muscular build, but walk like a panther (as described in the books). He's not too bulky (trying to fit Howard's description not popular culture's expectation of the mighty barbarian). And, unlike Momoa, McGowan has blue eyes.

McGowan plays Captain Charles Vane (an actual historical pirate) on the Starz series Black Sails.

I present to you....Conan, the Barbarian.

196cc8ba4f47e45d0d788453d813936d.jpg

tumblr_static_eda43ttouvk8ggoc4skocko8s_640_v2.jpg

black-sails-zach-mcgowan-starz-captain-charles-vane.jpg

7a135d3261c74cabebdada5d8b6acf67.jpg

432c7047d3a7c3ac77668001efd7d258.jpg

Dioltach

Legend
I was quite excited when I heard about Jason Momoa playing Conan, based on his portrayal of Khal Drogo, but in the end I was disappointed. I actually thought the kid who played Young Conan at the start of the movie did a better job.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
he certainly has the right look for what REH envisioned, however at 37 he is far too old for classic Conan

I could see that guy working, though I thought Momoa did a great job as Conan. The rest of the movie, on the other hand, had issues. Making it both a revenge tale, a save-the-world quest, and a rescue mission felt at odds with the source material – it would’ve been better to pick one and stick with it.

Totally psyched for Schwarzenegger’s return to Conan, if it ever happens. While the Terminator took some narrative gymnastics to figure out why he was older, King Conan will hopefully work better without such.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I liked Zach McGowan as Vane and think he would be great in the role. Tom Hopper also from Black Sails, he plays Billy Bones, could give him a run.

Attachments

• bb.JPG
    bb.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 457

Brandegoris

First Post
I will say something that will likely not be very popular....Momoa is in every way A superior Conan to Arnold . In Every single way. Better actor, better Body for the role. much closer to what REH describes Conan looking like. His Only Downfall might be that he had a Much quicker/better sense of humor than the Conan of Howards writings.

There is an actor I am curious about. I think if he got just a Bit Bigger he may surprise people and be a decent Conan possibly? Mads Mikkelsen?
http://derekalansiddoway.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Mingan-Temur-Mads-Mikkelsen.jpg

Just imagine him with longer hair and not so Much beard?

Ryujin

Legend
I agree on both counts; that Momoa made for a better Conan and that Mikkelsen would make for a good "King Conan", but presents as a little old for the earlier stories.

Remove ads