D&D 5E Is the Wild magic Sorcerer as terrible as it seems?

twales3

First Post
I play a wild magic sorcerer, just reached level 5, and I end up using my wild magic ability 2-3 times every game session. I once even managed to spawned it twice in the same round (had ToC used up from a previous round, cast magic missiles, triggered wild magic, gained an extra attack, cast fire bolt using ToC, then quickened another magic missiles thus using wild magic again - it was a wild night to say the least). I've found the bread and butter for a wild magic sorcerer is quicken meta-magic, even if it's just a fire bolt so that you can use your ToC and get wild magic on whatever you cast the next round.

I don't think the advantage on attack roll is too over powered either when you consider how many spells make multiple attacks (like scorching ray), ToC only affects a single attack roll. It does come down to the DM though, which I am lucky enough to have one who has told me to basically auto-trigger it anytime ToC is used up. It really should be written that the player is in control or doesn't have a choice and auto-triggers it. As a DM who has had a wild magic sorcerer in a campaign, you're often too distracted by everything else going on to be keeping track of a sorcerer's wild magic/ToC. A DM doesn't keep track of players' hit points, spell slots, inspirations, channel divinity, etc., why should ToC be any different?

Also, if you're min-maxing, yes, wild magic sorcerer is horrible - and if that's your playing style I understand. But for those who don't care about min-maxing: we just want to have the chance to run around as a hairless bear (true story).

CapnZapp

Legend
It just seems SO lacking compared to the Draconic Sorcerer. I don't understand the draw. There is a Wild Magic Sorcerer in one of the groups I play with and we are almost level 7 and he has NEVER had to roll from his Wild surge chart or whatever it's called. What's the point? Am I missing something?
Yep. Not missing anything.

You play the Wild Mage for the concept.

You pay a price, though. Which is stupid, but don't choose it if you're concerned about that.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yep. Not missing anything.

You play the Wild Mage for the concept.

You pay a price, though. Which is stupid, but don't choose it if you're concerned about that.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app
My Wild Mage has been one of my most effective characters, ever, largely because the wild surge table keeps helping at just the right times.

It really should be written that the player is in control or doesn't have a choice and auto-triggers it. As a DM who has had a wild magic sorcerer in a campaign, you're often too distracted by everything else going on to be keeping track of a sorcerer's wild magic/ToC. A DM doesn't keep track of players' hit points, spell slots, inspirations, channel divinity, etc., why should ToC be any different?
It's written that way to prevent players from gaming the system, by casting weak spells against random butterflies in order to enable the ability before every fight. By saying that it only works when the DM says it does, that prevents any amount of obvious abuse, in a way that would be difficult to spell out with rules.

Stalker0

Legend
As someone who had a campaign end in 2e because a player accidentally set off a fireball in a swamp bog (filled with swamp gas) and TPKed the party....that fireball int eh wild surge table was the first thing to go.

Other than that, I agree with people that if the ToC ability is used often it can be a fun class.

mc.yensid

Villager
It just seems SO lacking compared to the Draconic Sorcerer. I don't understand the draw. There is a Wild Magic Sorcerer in one of the groups I play with and we are almost level 7 and he has NEVER had to roll from his Wild surge chart or whatever it's called. What's the point? Am I missing something?
hmmm 3 years ago? this seems good and dead. take a look at this revisited

Weiley31

Legend
The Wild Mage doesn't really appeal to me, but the two players who've run them seemed to enjoy the unpredictability. (I've been fireballed by one of them, and we've gotten the Unicorn 2 or 3 times, and one turned into a shrubbery once)
You have Advantage towards any Persuasion checks with the Knights who say Ni when that Shrubbery option happens.

Remove ads