D&D 5E Ritual Caster vs. Magic Initiate vs. Warlock dip for Dex Paladin (Ancients)

Paladin with familiar... how to do it?

• Magic Initiate (wizard)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Ritual Caster (wizard)

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Dip 3 levels into Warlock (Pact of the Chain)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Don't do it! Just use a polearm like everyone else.

Votes: 1 7.7%

intently

Explorer
I'm building a human (variant) dex-based Paladin (Oath of the Ancients) and I want a familiar. There are three approaches I'm considering, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on each.

• Ritual Caster feat (wizard)
    • + Get familiar at level 1
    • + Potential to learn lots of other rituals (growth in power over time)
  • Magic Initiate feat (wizard)
    • + Get familiar at level 1
    • + Access to two cantrips (thinking of Mage Hand and Minor Illusion; no real need for damage cantrip)
    • - No growth in power over the course of the game
  • 3 level dip into Warlock (Pact of the Chain)
    • + Invocations, two short-rest spell slots, cantrips, improved familiar
    • - No familiar until much later (character level 8?)
    • - Much bigger investment (delay familiar and Extra Attack)

I don't think the level dip is a real option for me... I want to play a Paladin.

So, between Ritual Caster and Magic Initiate, what do you think?

Last edited:

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Personally, I lean more towards Ritual Caster. Not only do you get access to a larger selection of spells, taking it as a Human-Variant starting feat lets you incorporate that aspect into your background. Now instead of simply being a faithful Paladin, you have this tie to magic. Maybe its something in your family you are running from, maybe you dabbled as a child and delved into worlds you were not ready to see (hence becoming a smitey Paladin). It opens a lot of interesting background options.

For Magic Initiate, if you are not taking any damaging Cantrips that scale with character level (and why would you if you are going Paladin), then you really just have those utility Cantrips. I don't see those being super useful, although I wouldn't rule out taking a Ranged Cantrip just so you have some sort of Ranged Magic attack.

Like you said, both get you what you want, the Familiar. But I think the Ritual Caster will give you more out of combat options to play with. Being able to take 10 minutes and use Alarm, Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages, or Identify is pretty awesome. And if you get high enough, Leomund's Tiny Hut will make you the camping king! =)

mellored

Legend
Ritual, unless you have a wizard in the party. Then magic initiate. 2 mage hands is better than 2 ritual casters.

I'll also point out tome warlock 3. Which get's a familiar, a good ranged attack (a big paladin weakness), and shillelagh, which let's you focus on getting 20 Cha. 3 levels is a bit to pay though, especially before paladin 6.

intently

Explorer
If I get to 6 I might get 3 warlock levels and ask my DM to let me respec my level 1 feat :)

Would hate to lose level 7 aura (resistance to magic) though... Then ASI at 8... Then ...

ccs

41st lv DM
I'd pick magic initiate.
Just because WarpedAcorn doesn't see any value in utility cantrips doesn't mean the values not there.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I'd pick magic initiate.
Just because WarpedAcorn doesn't see any value in utility cantrips doesn't mean the values not there.

"...then you really just have those utility Cantrips. I don't see those being super useful..." =/= "WarpedAcorn doesn't see any value in utility cantrips"

I see value in utility Cantrips, but I also see them as extremely situational. A Cantrip like Minor Illusion would not be something you use regularly, or even at all depending on how your DM handles Illusions. Cantrips like Light can be replicated with a Torch, while something like Spare the Dying can be replaced by a Medicine check. Mage Hand can be useful, no doubt, but how often do you NEED Mage Hand vs. it was a convenient option. Plus, you only get 2 so you had better make sure those 2 are going to be REALLY useful.

But I am definitely open to hearing some examples you might suggest for the OP for which Cantrips to take and why they would be primo picks over the Ritual Caster list.

ccs

41st lv DM
"...then you really just have those utility Cantrips. I don't see those being super useful..." =/= "WarpedAcorn doesn't see any value in utility cantrips"

I see value in utility Cantrips, but I also see them as extremely situational. A Cantrip like Minor Illusion would not be something you use regularly, or even at all depending on how your DM handles Illusions. Cantrips like Light can be replicated with a Torch, while something like Spare the Dying can be replaced by a Medicine check. Mage Hand can be useful, no doubt, but how often do you NEED Mage Hand vs. it was a convenient option. Plus, you only get 2 so you had better make sure those 2 are going to be REALLY useful.

But I am definitely open to hearing some examples you might suggest for the OP for which Cantrips to take and why they would be primo picks over the Ritual Caster list.

Ritual casting takes 10 minutes. You can't use it to cast spells in higher slots, and you're limited to spells with the ritual tag. These things make it my 2nd choice between it & M.Initiate
On the + side it's expandable throughout play & doesn't use up spell slots.....

M. Initiate - I can choose any 1 1st lv spell & cast it at normal speed, & maybe in a higher slot.
The cantrips: I've only ever chosen a damage cantrip twice (firebolt - in a game where I couldn't afford/gain a bow, & Magic Stone as it simply fit the character). Otherwise I don't choose damage cantrips because there's so many cooler things I can do with even zero-lv magic.
You see utility as situational & oft replaceable by the mundane. I see utility magic as chock full of useful, fun, options.
Light: I can do sooo much more with this cantrip than I can with a torch/lantern....
Minor Illusion?: Oh Hell yeah! RAW it's awesome! To discern it's not real an action has to be spent & an INT save made. Or physical interaction can be taken vs an image. Think about it: I'm casting spells. Odds are my foes don't know how powerful I really am. So it's not at all unreasonable for me to be producing some crazy effect - like say a Wall of Stone or better, aprismatic wall (go ahead, run through that on the odds I'm bluffing), across a doorway. I've even made images of myself 20' down the hall to lure foes.
Message, Mending? : Also great/fun options.
Mage Hand?: I've been playing D&D for 37 years. I've encountered ALOT of stuff that I don't want to have my characters grab/touch with their own hands.
Prestidigitation!: My favorite cantrip. Assorted cool F/X!, I can light small flames (wich can grow :) - wich is why you don't let children play with mundane matches)!, I can chill my beer!, and I can go adventuring all day long & come back clean & fresh!. You can even remove your tracks in some circumstances.

Here's an example of how my 1/2ling Warlock uses the Magic Initiate feat:
1st lv spell = Expeditious Retreat. Yes, I could take this as a Warlock. But I found that I really only cast it about once/day, so it's not worth tying up one of my precious Warlock spell slots on. I absolutely want it available though!
Cantrip #1 = Light. I'm a 1/2ling Warlock. I don't have darkvision, I didn't take the Devil Sight invocation (too many other cool options), and Light is not a Warlock cantrip.
Cantrip #2 = Mage Hand. I'm a 1/2ling. I'm 3' tall! Do you realize how many things are out of my reach??
Well not anymore:) And there's plenty of stuff I don't want to touch directly.... Yes, I could've taken this as a Warlock cantrip. But I wanted Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, & Magic Stone (because I don't use EB as that doesn't fit this character at all) at 1st lv. instead.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Fire Bolt is both damage cantrip and utility cantrip, you can deal fire damage or start fires like camp fires with it.

If you have the SCAG I suggest Magic Initiate for Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade.

Last edited:

intently

Explorer
Looks like we won't have a ritual caster in the party (probably a fighter, sorcerer, and paladin), so I'll probably go that direction.

Grakarg

Explorer
I think magic initiate is a good idea as well.
Booming blade or Greenflame blade are great cantrips for a melee character.
Also, because you are focusing on having a familiar, don't discount the usefulness of Shocking Grasp either. Its a damaging cantrip you can channel through your familiar when it is out scouting around, thats a useful option!

Remove ads