Martial Practice : Blood Demand

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Wonder if this could extended to an oath that could even raise the dead.... @Manbearcat now has visions of epic Aragorn running through my head.
Some guidelines about afflictions are probably in order.

I left open what the affliction was but that leaves a lot of room for flavor variation on this. It could be the Oath of the Dunedain/Numenorians which creates an affliction that turns the subject of the oath in to an undead zombie probably a bouncy minion upon death subject to failure of their oath.

The oath affliction after the characters subsequent death could be limited to Epic tier.

I already mentioned up thread a few possibilities for a Fae Warlock flavored oath.

Last edited:

Some guidelines about afflictions are probably in order.

I left open what the affliction was but that leaves a lot of room for flavor variation on this. It could be the Oath of the Dunedain/Numenorians which creates an affliction that turns the subject of the oath in to an undead zombie probably a bouncy minion upon death subject to failure of their oath.

The oath affliction after the characters subsequent death could be limited to Epic tier.

I already mentioned up thread a few possibilities for a Fae Warlock flavored oath.

Yeah, lots of possibilities. It could mean that your bloodline is cursed! Of course there's one problem with these sorts of very generalized narrative consequences; they are hard to threaten PCs with! Most players aren't quite engaged enough to worry a lot about there offspring when they're dungeon crawling. It gets a bit abstract. Of course, if its the PCs doing the oathing, then its not so bad, you can have NPCs appropriately cower (morale checks?).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The Houses of the Healing scene with the legend of “the hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known." When he applies the makeshift Aelthas salve to the mortally wounded and restores them, its up in the air if this is legitimate miracle or mundane tradecraft of an accomplished Ranger. The legend intimating the former begins to spread.

In 4e, a player could (of course) pick either truth, but I think the potential pseudo-divinity of his heritage is a good way to go. Soldier of Virtue allows a Paladin Skill and the ability to remove an affliction once per day (there you go). You could also go with one of the many Heal Utilities such as:

For the "magical bloodline" I had actually considered going with Dundedain are functionally half-elven.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Its certainly a reasonable interpretation. Although the Dunadain actually EQUALLY MAIAR as they are Eldar, hehe.

Elvenkind also represent a perfection of soul and body and are ageless the Dunedain are less so, ie like elves but not quite. But yes the transcendent perfect mortal is a theme... one could represent Tolkein elves using Deva too (Gandalf always built as a Deva). Not as reincarnating memories but rather memories from many life times ago.Majestic Aura of power etc.

Elvenkind also represent a perfection of soul and body and are ageless the Dunedain are less so, ie like elves but not quite. But yes the transcendent perfect mortal is a theme... one could represent Tolkein elves using Deva too (Gandalf always built as a Deva). Not as reincarnating memories but rather memories from many life times ago.Majestic Aura of power etc.

Yeah, Deva works well for Gandalf, its pretty close to the concept. It would work reasonably well for the Noldor, but I think Eladrin actually captures them pretty well (though 4e doesn't make them ageless beings, but you could certainly see the ancients of their race as simply so powerful they've survived for 10's of thousands of years, as the Arch Fey seem to have done in 4e's scheme).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, Deva works well for Gandalf, its pretty close to the concept. It would work reasonably well for the Noldor, but I think Eladrin actually captures them pretty well (though 4e doesn't make them ageless beings, but you could certainly see the ancients of their race as simply so powerful they've survived for 10's of thousands of years, as the Arch Fey seem to have done in 4e's scheme).
Agelessness is mostly fluff indeed however the Devas memory bit is pretty easily re-flavored to represent really ancient characters
its just a tweak really to say this one counts as fey or even that the twin resistances are a different pair, love their Air of Majesty... Tolkein liked to point out how awe inspiring they were ... the goblins mistook the one-rings power for the majesty of an Elf-Lord.

The bloodied condition rocks.

Agelessness is mostly fluff indeed however the Devas memory bit is pretty easily re-flavored to represent really ancient characters
its just a tweak really to say this one counts as fey or even that the twin resistances are a different pair, love their Air of Majesty... Tolkein liked to point out how awe inspiring they were ... the goblins mistook the one-rings power for the majesty of an Elf-Lord.

Well, in essence EVERY Noldo was like an epic PC, or paragon at the very least. The most trivial of them were still 10,000 years old, and stood in the light of the Two Trees, and hobnobbed with Valar. Just being in the presence of Eldoreth would ennoble you. Being a student of Aulie certainly made you of more than mere mortal stature.

I mean, Glorfindel (confusingly given the same name as a Prince of the Noldor from the 1st Age) is merely a member of Elrond's household, and yet when he displays his true nature Frodo sees him as a great figure of pure light, his 'true nature' as one of the Calaquendi. Them's got some levels!

EDIT: well, and he's not even in the same league with Gandalf the White...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

Oh and my version of the Devas aura now "officially" influences minions ;)

I like being able to customize character builder so much

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Just Found something of interest....

MarkofJustice.jpg

Remove ads