Inquisitor (Cleric/Paladin Hybrid)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Well, this is an awkward one to work with. Moving from a half caster to a full caster helped, so the Inquisitor is a full caster with a somewhat martial bend, similar to the more martial clerics. While the Inquisitor doesn't have Divine Smite, they do still have access to smite spells.

LevelFeaturesCantrips Known1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th
1Spellcasting, Divine Domain, Divine Sense32
2Channel Divinity (1/rest), Divine Domain Feature33
3Sacred Oath332
4Ability Score Improvement443
6Divine Domain Feature, Aura of Protection4433
7Sacred Oath Feature44331
8Ability Score Improvement, Divine Domain Feature44332
10Aura of Courage543332
12Ability Score Improvement5433321
14Cleansing Touch54333211
15Sacred Oath Feature543332111
16Ability Score Improvement543332111
17Divine Domain Feature5433321111
18Channel Divinity (2/rest)5433331111
19Ability Score Improvement5433332111
20 Sacred Oath Feature5433332211

Hit Dice: 1d8 per Inquisitor level
Armour Proficiencies: Light armour, medium armour, shields
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: Choose two from Insight, Intimidation, Medicine, Persuasion, and Religion

Spellcasting: You prepare a number of spells from the Cleric and Paladin spell lists equal to your Wisdom modifier + half your Inquisitor level (rounded up, minimum of 1). You can change your chosen spells after you finish a long rest.
Charisma is your casting stat for these, and any domain or oath, spells. You spell save DC is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier, and your spell attack modifier is equal to your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.

Last edited:

Wulffolk

Explorer
Seems a bit much to give both Domain features and Oath features while being a full Cleric caster that also gets access to Paladin spells.

I think I would prefer Inquisitors to be a Paladin Oath more so than a Cleric with even more features.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Since it has full spellcasting and no extra attack, the obvious comparison is to the cleric. I think it's leaning towards too strong compared to that baseline.

This is losing the Destroy Undead and Divine Intervention features from the cleric (one useful, albeit campaign specific ability and one mostly ribbon), and slightly less than half their spells prepared, in exchange for all martial weapons and heavy armor, ability to prepare paladin spells, and all of the paladin oath abilities. Not enough of a trade off to my mind.

My recommendation:
1) Simple weapons, medium armor, and shields. Divine Domain will give them most of them back, in a flavor appropriate manner.
2) I'd go Wisdom for Spellcasting, personally. Just state that any Paladin abilities dependent on Charisma are now dependent on Wisdom.
3) Spells prepared should be Wisdom modifier + half your level (rounded up), prepared from both the Cleric and Paladin lists. The free prepared spells from the Cleric Domain and Paladin Oath combined will keep them equivalent. (A Wis 20 cleric has 35 prepared spells at level 20, 20 from level, 5 from Wisdom, 10 from Domain. A Wis 20 inquisitor would have the same, 10 from level, 5 from Wisdom, 10 from Domain, 10 from Oath.)
4) If hit die being 2d4 is a personal thing you like, that's no problem. I personally would standardize it at 1d8, since having multiple Hit Die per level is fairly strong while short resting. I would say in general, if the Hit Die average isn't a round number, default down if it's a full caster, and up if it's a more martial progression.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Seems a bit much to give both Domain features and Oath features while being a full Cleric caster that also gets access to Paladin spells.

I think I would prefer Inquisitors to be a Paladin Oath more so than a Cleric with even more features.

The Inquisitor is not a full Cleric by a long shot.
The Inquisitor can't destroy turned undead, can't appeal to their deity for intervention, and knows less spells than the cleric. True they don't lose much, but they didn't have much to lose in the first place.
Likewise, the Paladin half loses Divine Smite, Improved Divine Smite, and Extra Attack.

Both benefit and suffer equally, I'm not sure where "full Cleric Caster" and "a Cleric with even more features" comes from.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Since it has full spellcasting and no extra attack, the obvious comparison is to the cleric. I think it's leaning towards too strong compared to that baseline.

This is losing the Destroy Undead and Divine Intervention features from the cleric (one useful, albeit campaign specific ability and one mostly ribbon), and slightly less than half their spells prepared, in exchange for all martial weapons and heavy armor, ability to prepare paladin spells, and all of the paladin oath abilities. Not enough of a trade off to my mind.

My recommendation:
1) Simple weapons, medium armor, and shields. Divine Domain will give them most of them back, in a flavor appropriate manner.
2) I'd go Wisdom for Spellcasting, personally. Just state that any Paladin abilities dependent on Charisma are now dependent on Wisdom.
3) Spells prepared should be Wisdom modifier + half your level (rounded up), prepared from both the Cleric and Paladin lists. The free prepared spells from the Cleric Domain and Paladin Oath combined will keep them equivalent. (A Wis 20 cleric has 35 prepared spells at level 20, 20 from level, 5 from Wisdom, 10 from Domain. A Wis 20 inquisitor would have the same, 10 from level, 5 from Wisdom, 10 from Domain, 10 from Oath.)
4) If hit die being 2d4 is a personal thing you like, that's no problem. I personally would standardize it at 1d8, since having multiple Hit Die per level is fairly strong while short resting. I would say in general, if the Hit Die average isn't a round number, default down if it's a full caster, and up if it's a more martial progression.

All good points. The 2d4 was to achieve a compromise between 1d8 and 1d10. 2d4 has a higher average than the cleric, while having the same maximum as the cleric. I'm not actually sure how 2d4 would work. Is "2d4" the hit die, and thus what you roll when you roll a hit die, or do you have two 1d4s?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
All good points. The 2d4 was to achieve a compromise between 1d8 and 1d10. 2d4 has a higher average than the cleric, while having the same maximum as the cleric. I'm not actually sure how 2d4 would work. Is "2d4" the hit die, and thus what you roll when you roll a hit die, or do you have two 1d4s?
There's no default rule in RAW that would not allow you to spend 1d4+Con at a time during a short rest. I mean, you could specify it in the Hit Die line, sure, that would probably be OK. The class is strong enough that I don't think a 1d8 will hurt it much.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Having implemented your suggestion on number of spells known, I decided that if Wisdom determines how many spells you know, Charisma should determine how effectively you can cast them. Both for balance and thematic (honestly!) reasons.

Thematically, because Wisdom represents your ability to divine how your deity can influence the world, and Charisma represents your ability to beseech them to do so. Or something.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Areas of concern.

1. Paladin Level 3, 4 and 5 spells are very strong. Getting some of those at level 5 and 7 and 9 may be too much. (Consider that Lore Bards can do some pretty amazing stuff with those kinds of Paladin spells at the lower levels).

2. Giving what essentially amounts to a cleric the best parts of the paladin class (ie. Aura of Protection, Oath Auras, etc.)

Conclusion: I'd say your class outclasses a single classed cleric. It's likely the only cleric type full caster I would ever consider playing again if it was in my game.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Level 5 -
Aura of Vitality
Crusader's Mantle

Level 7-
Aura of Life
Aura of Purity

Level 9 -
Circle of Power
Destructive Wave

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Well, I didn't take it for it to be easy.

The main problem is the Cleric's just so dull. I've removed (almost) everything of the Cleric's that isn't tied to a Subclass in some way. Heck I even removed their capstone feature (as bad as it is). What do they get except domain features and a special spell list? Channel Divinity?

Right, reduced the number of Channel Divinities, and removed the range increase on the Auras.

Remove ads