D&D 5E 5e. Repeling blast nerfed in our game. Help me to rebuild my Bard-Lock

Antarx

Villager
I need some advice. I want to play a Level 3 winged female tiefling "mostly Bard"character with some combat options. I'm interested in the new hexblade warlock for a dip (the class gives some tasty "dark twist" to my character), but I can't think how to mix it with bard properly.
Valor and Swords college seems redundant in terms of armor proficiency, and I'm affraid that Satire and Lore colleges have not enough combat power. My stats are s13, d14, c16, i14, w14, c18 (after racials) I can switch the phisical stats if needed.
I was considering Hexblade warlock 1/Bard 2+ ¿Lore?), with sword and board, and using booming blade as substitutive damage instead of extra attacks. But if I find a ogre power gauntlets, I will go for Warlock 3/bard (¿Valor?) X, with "curse bringer" and "devil sight" invocations, to fight with advantage in magical darkness. Extra attacks with a greatsword are probably a better option.

Short story.
I just joined an already running game (level3). All the other players already had their characters done, so I decided to make a Bard, to fill any possible missing role in the party. After some reading, I decided to take a dip in warlock. So, I rolled a flying tiefling warlock 2/bard 1 with vicious mockery (for combat advantage) and with agonizing - repelling - eldritch blast (for DPR and tactical advantage)

But it just happened that we had our first two combats, and one happened over a river bridge (without banisters) and the second, defending a castle wall. I one-shooted some enemies by pushing them to the abism, and now my DM has ruled that repelling blast has a Strength save based on my spellcasting DC. So, then I asked for the possibility to rebuild my character (I'm not a minmaxer, but I don't want a nerfed invocation) and my Dm has agreed to let me make some changes.

Just for the record, I RP my character much like Catwoman. She is a not-evil, but totally selfish, charismatic and manipulative blonde woman who pretends innocence. She claims to be a LG half-golden dragon descendant "and you can thrust a golden dragon to keep your items safe" Every time that I have to say a lie, I roll for "sincerity" instead of deception.
She lost someone loved in the past, and now she aims for the divinity, because with divine powers, that will not happen to her again. She teaches songs that are in fact hidden prayers in her name, gives wooden "lucky charms" to the orphans and young thieves that in fact are proto-divine symbols of herself, and later she bribes or seduced the guards to be benevolent with any children that wears those "charms"

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks for your time.

Last edited:

cmad1977

Hero
I can't help you with the build, I'm just disappointed that the DM had battles on bridges and ramparts and apparently didn't plan on people getting flung off them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you need to radically change your character, just drop repelling blast. Eldritch blast with the Agonizing Blast invocation is plenty strong on its own even without the push effect.

For your second invocation I would recommend Mask of Many Faces, which lets you cast disguise self at will. This is perfect for a Catwoman type character. Not only does it allow you to easily hide your tiefling features, it is a great tool for manipulating and fooling people when you can instantly disguise yourself as any person. Make sure you are trained in the Deception skill and leave a trail of duped fools in your wake.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Your GM has retroactively nerfed a core class ability after the game has started and after agreeing your character concept.

That's not cool...

Antarx

Villager
My dm claims that the DMG says "oposing a force that would physically moves you" is Strength saving throw, just like the example given on p.238. Since the invocation has not a line saying "ST: None", like those things had in previous editions, I can't prove him wrong.
Anyway, I respect his point of view and his decision, but pushing enemies around the battlefield and disturbing their plans was about 70% of the fun (being the other 30% casting vicious mockery at the BBEG and rolling randomly in my notepad full of "your mama" jokes). To be truth, I took the 2º warlock level just for the repelling blast feature (agonicing blast is just a nice extra)

I have to deal with the change, and I been given permission to make some modifications , so, going back to the topic, I need advice about the build.
The last UA opened some nice options about warlocks. I would like to have medium armor proficiency on my character, some decent combat option (to contribute in DPR) and to have the most levels possible in the Bard class.

The more obvious choices are:
  • -Archfey Blade warlock 3 (with moonbow)/ Valour bard 3+
    Pros: Very effective from level 7 or more, and I can use the "fight in magic darkness" tactic. And compatible with the "Swift Quiver" spell
    Cons: I'm still 3 levels away from medium armor proficiency, and 4 levels away from Sharpshooter feat, and 6 levels away from multiatack (Valor 6)
  • -Claw of Acamar or Mace of Dispater warlock 3 /Swords bard (armor proficiency, 2 weapon fighting, extra attack)
    Pros: Same as before. Multiple attacks with funny options
    Cons: pretty much the same as before, but magical darkness probably will ruin my companions melee options, so may be a bad idea.
  • - Hexblade Warlock 3 (with curse bringer)/ Bard (Valor???) X
    Pros: As before, but improved damage.
    Cons: Armor proficiency redundacy, and I would need a ogre power gauntlets (wich I may or may not find some day)
  • - Hexblade Warlock 1/ Bard (College???) X
    This one covers all the bases. Sword and board seems fine, but I need a feat to cast most of my spells with the hands full. I can use Booming blade cantrip to replace the extra attacks damage, so may be, Lore or Satire colleges are the way to go.

But after all those heavy options, I still have the feeling that simply spamming eldritch blast all day long is the optimal (although boring) way to go.
Also, I feel that all those options are pointless because result in the same. 5e seems to have many choices available, but most of them take you to the very same spot, with minimal differences. But I'm afraid to fall in a "trap build", or to miss something obvious. I'm really enjoying the character, and I don't want to regret an earlier bad choice.

So, please, any thoughts? Any input will be welcome

Last edited:

Caliburn101

Explorer
Your GM is wrong - the ability doesn't require a saving throw, and as per RAW - specific trumps general - the eldritch blast with knockback is specific, and the rules on forces and STR saving throws is general.

pdegan2814

First Post
That GM deserves a slap upside the head. Nerfing one of a character's abilities like that, especially one that's part of the standard class definition in the Players Handbook, just because he threw some combats at you that were tailor-made for that ability? Seriously not cool.

mellored

Legend
I have to deal with the change, and I been given permission to make some modifications , so, going back to the topic, I need advice about the build.
The last UA opened some nice options about warlocks. I would like to have medium armor proficiency on my character, some decent combat option (to contribute in DPR) and to have the most levels possible in the Bard class.
Hexblade 2/lore bard X

Agonizing blast is still wanted, plus another invocation like mask of many faces (works great with the friendship cantrip to get people angry at the wrong person). As you gain more bard levels, you will be casting more spells, and less eldrich blast, but it's good to have when needed. Use booming blade or green flame blade (probably more fitting for a tielfing) for melee. You still want 14 dex for medium armor, and some Con of course. Grab inspiring leader at bard 4, boost Cha at 8 and 12, and resilent Con at 16, don't worry about 19. Pick up revivify as your magic secrets, use your warlock slots to power healing word, and make sure to take feather fall since your flying.

Antarx

Villager
Thank you all for the support (is comforting :) )

About the build... Hexblade 2/lore bard X mmmm... Seems fine. Ok, just two questions
* ¿Why lore Bard instead of Satire?
I just noticed that blooming blade or GFB don't stack with multiple attacks, son I suppose that Valor and Sword college don't make sense with the build, but I'm still not sure about those two. Disengage and dash as a bonus action seems to sinergize perfectly with blooming blade. Cast Blooming Blade, hit the enemy, and move away. If he pursues you, he will eat extra damage. If he does not, he (most probably) will not be able to attack you

*Secondly, is it really the best option to pick 2 warlock levels?
I mean, the first Hexblade warlock level nets you:
  • medium armor, weapons and shield proficiency,
  • 2 cantrips (eldritch blast and Blooming or GFB)
  • one free spell/short rest,
  • Charism to attack and damage on non 2 handed weapons
The second level nets you
  • Charisma to damage on EB (agonizing blast)
  • Another invocation
  • 1 more spell/short rest
The third level gives:
  • Smite attacks!!!
  • Improve spells slots to lvl2
  • A free on-demand weapon
  • Gives access to the darkness spell (enabling the "fight in magical darkness" tactic)
I have the feeling that levels 1 and 3 are the best stop options ATM. Warlock 2 gives you interesting features, but the ratio benefits/expedend resources is not so profitable as on odd levels, (and I can use a my own bard spells to use the mask of many faces trick anyway, for example).

mellored

Legend
* ¿Why lore Bard instead of Satire?
Satire is good too. Bonus movement is about equal to lore's ability to mess up people's attacks. It just depeds on weather you want to be more catwoman, or more manipulative.
Try hitting people with booming blade, and using the bonus action to disengage. They then have to trigger the secondary effect.

The third level gives:
  • Smite attacks!!!
  • Improve spells slots to lvl2
  • A free on-demand weapon
  • Gives access to the darkness spell (enabling the "fight in magical darkness" tactic)
I have the feeling that levels 1 and 3 are the best stop options ATM. Warlock 2 gives you interesting features, but the ratio benefits/expend resources is not so profitable as on odd levels, (and I can use a my own bard spells to use the mask of many faces trick anyway, for example).
You underestimate the invocations.

As for 3...
Hex/blade smites is not too good. It requires you to hit with the greatsword, which means you don't get to use Cha to attack with, and you don't get your shield. You need Str, which otherwise you could dump.
I've only seen a very few situations where summoning a weapon would come in handy.

Darkness and level 2 slots are good, but you can only concentrate on 1 spell at a time. Bard has a lot of concentration spells. Hypnotic pattern, suggestion, etc... Which you are delaying for another level.
Now if you go tome or chain, it's ok.

I'll also just suggest rogue 2/hexblade 11/lore bard 3 . Which may fit your concept better than bard.

Remove ads