D&D 5E Hexblade as a fighter archetype

Lanliss

Explorer
A 5th level spell AND four invocations does not leave a lot of room for class features outside of ribbons.

Will you be calculating the level prerequisite differently for invocations?

Fair point. I was iffy about four invocations anyway, so that can drop to 2 or 3.

I had not intended on counting the prerequisites any differently, since a fair few of them are fairly strong effects. I was also considering gating some of the current invocations more as well, for both this and the Warlock in my games. That is a different thread though.

On this subject, my main reason for skewing high on invocations is the recently increased number (though I will be cutting a few of those out entirely), and the talk I have seen about warlock getting few invocations. Which way would you lean, 2 or 3?

Lanliss

Explorer
Fighter levelCantrips knownInvocations KnownSpells KnownSpell SlotSlot level
3rd1-211st
4th11211st
5th11212nd
6th11312nd
7th21312nd
8th21312nd
9th21313rd
10th21413rd
11th21423rd
12th22523rd
13th22524th
14th22624th
15th22624th
16th22724th
17th22724th
18th2282Mystic Arcanum (5th level)
19th3282
20th3282

I think 2 will work fine, giving me more space for interesting and impactful Patron features. Time to start thinking on those... Much like the Warlock, I want these to assist in showing what kind of Hexblade your character is, so I will be doing my best to make them handle differently without adding too much complication.

Note: The following posts are just me throwing ideas at the wall, to see what sticks for me. Feel free to comment on balance/flavor concerns or ideas, as more minds are always helpful for creativity.

Last edited:

Lanliss

Explorer
Post reserved for Hexblade: Fiend Patron features

Dark Ones Power
When you choose this patron at 3rd level, you can add half of your Charisma modifier (round up) to your Melee attacks, in addition to your standard attack modifier.

Last edited:

Lanliss

Explorer
Post reserved for Hexblade: Great Old One features.

Odd workings
When you choose this patron at 3rd level you gain advantage against attempts to charm you, as well as resistance to Psychic Damage.

Dissonant Strike
At 7th level you gain the ability to empower your strike with the strange whispers of your patron. Your target for a melee attack must make a Wisdom save. If it fails, double the damage dealt by the attack, with the second half now dealing Psychic damage. You can use this ability once per long rest.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases